Status
Please reply by conversation.

radio

"On the Air" in MI
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2007
West Central Michigan
Has anyone ever successfully restored missing LNB power in a DSR-410 (Hits) receiver? My "spare" has gone dead in that department, but is in good shape with all other sections. Its battery was replaced in January, it has remained powered-up, but cannot put 13 or 18 volts out on the rear panel's connection to the LNB. Since we've already had the case open to change batteries, is there anything we can look-for?

radio said:
Has anyone ever successfully restored missing LNB power in a DSR-410 (Hits) receiver? My "spare" has gone dead in that department, but is in good shape with all other sections. Its battery was replaced in January, it has remained powered-up, but cannot put 13 or 18 volts out on the rear panel's connection to the LNB. Since we've already had the case open to change batteries, is there anything we can look-for?

I have this issue with a Scientific Atlanta box, never fixed it, I use an LNB power inserted instead.

Look for a surface mount fuse/ regular fuse near the LNB port. If handy with a DVM probe around the LNB port and see if you can find DC that changes depending on polarity.

Never even thought about a power inserter! But, how will that work with the switching of horizontal and vertical? If there's only one voltage....sounds like trouble. I used one of these on an older Birdview, but they powered BOTH the horizontal and vertical through the horizontal feed only. I like the idea, just not sure about the switching of polarities...hmmm.

radio said:
Never even thought about a power inserter! But, how will that work with the switching of horizontal and vertical? If there's only one voltage....sounds like trouble. I used one of these on an older Birdview, but they powered BOTH the horizontal and vertical through the horizontal feed only. I like the idea, just not sure about the switching of polarities...hmmm.

You're right, with it being a 410 there is only one LNB port (unlike a 92x) so from that angle that's very difficult.

It could be done with a 4 way LNBf splitter but I'm thinking it's way too much hassle as you'd have to swap the LNB cable each time polarity changed!

I use my SA box on a single polarity so the inserter works fine for me.

I use my 410 & 92x boxes with 2 single LNBs and a 4 way LNBf splitter, the rcvrs think they're running an LNBf and all is well.

Sorry to get your hopes up!

NO apology needed! I love the exchange of ideas here! That idea may help somewhere down the road! Thanks!

There has to be a failed switching transistor or protection device in the circuit. I suppose you have already done a good visual inspection of the circuit board?

Sent from my Timex Sinclair using SatelliteGuys

Hadn't had a chance yet, hoping to look this weekend. Purpose of the thread is helping however, with things to look for thanks to postings like yours! Much appreciated! Just hoping there "is" some hope and that its not like many of the newer boxes that when they go, they GO. Such a waste!

This box was earmarked for another member of SatGuys, and I was checking it out before shipping. It was kept powered up, but out of the "satellite" stream. I was shocked that I could not read a voltage on the chassis connector for the coax after repeated attempts at resets of the system and provider. It had a new battery in January and still has the proper ID on screen and on the back matching, so maybe there's hope.

Satguys member wanted to subscribe only to Starz and get on the H2H system, I was disappointed to not be able to help!

Hadn't had a chance yet, hoping to look this weekend. Purpose of the thread is helping however, with things to look for thanks to postings like yours! Much appreciated! Just hoping there "is" some hope and that its not like many of the newer boxes that when they go, they GO. Such a waste!

This box was earmarked for another member of SatGuys, and I was checking it out before shipping. It was kept powered up, but out of the "satellite" stream. I was shocked that I could not read a voltage on the chassis connector for the coax after repeated attempts at resets of the system and provider. It had a new battery in January and still has the proper ID on screen and on the back matching, so maybe there's hope.

Satguys member wanted to subscribe only to Starz and get on the H2H system, I was disappointed to not be able to help!
Radio,
I have a spare DSR-410 with a dead battery, that still powers the LNBF and locks onto the H2H signal, even though it's UID is toast.
If you find the problem, and need parts, it's yours for shipping costs! :)

Months ago a gardener shorted out my coax leading from my 922 & the center wire got really hot - hot enough to nearly melt through the dielectric! After replacing the coax I was rightly concerned about the tuner. etc on the mainboard.

I was told by one of the techs at ATS that usually the voltage switching circuit in the tuner can on the 922, 920, 905 & 410 mainboard is pretty rugged as far as shorting the coax & other abuses. My 922 seems to be alright since but I do have a spare tuner can for it from another 922.

I looked through the top of my 410 & there is a voltage regulator & 2 caps at the back of the tuner. Might want to check for voltage there before opening up the sides of the tuner can.

brex2001 said:
Months ago a gardener shorted out my coax leading from my 922 & the center wire got really hot - hot enough to nearly melt through the dielectric! After replacing the coax I was rightly concerned about the tuner. etc on the mainboard.

I was told by one of the techs at ATS that usually the voltage switching circuit in the tuner can on the 922, 920, 905 & 410 mainboard is pretty rugged as far as shorting the coax & other abuses. My 922 seems to be alright since but I do have a spare tuner can for it from another 922.

I looked through the top of my 410 & there is a voltage regulator & 2 caps at the back of the tuner. Might want to check for voltage there before opening up the sides of the tuner can.

Good place to check.

From what I have been looking at, the quality of the boards and components used in these DSR-Series receivers is top shelf and should be repairable by most electronics hobby people. The new FTA boxes however are a different story, the circuit boards are paper thin and the components are bargain bin parts.

I have replaced many tuners in 410's with the same problem. Its not very hard if you have the right tools. Takes about 15 minutes.

Good to hear! Been too busy to get to it, but want to this week! Do you replace the whole tuner assembly in its housing? Haven't been "in" the box yet, (since the battery replacement.)

Good to hear! Been too busy to get to it, but want to this week! Do you replace the whole tuner assembly in its housing? Haven't been "in" the box yet, (since the battery replacement.)

Remove the solder from the bottom of board the whole tuner we come off.

Clean the area on board before installing the replacement tuner.

Take your time.

I will post pics of the gear I use later tonight.

Thanks! That's pretty much what I had hoped the procedure would be. Reminds me of the old days of TV repair, looking for bad solder joints and cleaning the whole board in the suspect area, then hitting all the connections! (if you couldn't find the hairline crack.)

Well, the "heart transplant" patient didn't live. After VERY careful transfer of the tuner module which we hoped would fix the 410, and a reinstall, the front panel LED's and the 'green stripe" blink in regular slow repeated fashion, and we have no RF output to even GET to the menu and no voltage on the LNB-out. It was worth a try, but it looks like we're dead in the water with this one. Had hoped it would work as this receiver was destined for another member of this site! Thanks for the ideas, however.

radio said:
Well, the "heart transplant" patient didn't live. After VERY careful transfer of the tuner module which we hoped would fix the 410, and a reinstall, the front panel LED's and the 'green stripe" blink in regular slow repeated fashion, and we have no RF output to even GET to the menu and no voltage on the LNB-out. It was worth a try, but it looks like we're dead in the water with this one. Had hoped it would work as this receiver was destined for another member of this site! Thanks for the ideas, however.

Any chance it's a power supply issue? switch mode power supplies "tick" when they've failed, which might give you what you're seeing. The 410 illuminates all lights on initial power up AFAIK.

Can you test the PSU output?

Will certainly try! Was at a hamfest today and thought I saw a 410, turned out to be a "sidecar" for the analog receivers. Didn't know if it could be activated
for H2H, so I let it be. Was cheap, too. Didn't occur to me it looked so similar it may have had the power supply we needed!!

Will certainly try! Was at a hamfest today and thought I saw a 410, turned out to be a "sidecar" for the analog receivers. Didn't know if it could be activated
for H2H, so I let it be. Was cheap, too. Didn't occur to me it looked so similar it may have had the power supply we needed!!
That was a DSR-905, and yes with conversion to 4160 EMM, can subscribe to HITS just like the 410/920/922.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)