Please reply by conversation.

Techfizzle

Banned
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
I got my Tivo Today:D:D:D:D:D
user_online.gif

But there is a problem:mad:
When I go to setup, one tuner is missing even transponders. I switched cables, and it does it on a diffrent tuner, so Its not the Tivo's Fault
All my cable is good, so whats the deal?
Also what do I need to do to have 3 receivers on on lnb a multiswitch?

Well you pretty much have ruled that somewhere between the connector to the dish there is a problem. So look at all the connectors and splices and cable for damage/crimps. If you are 100% sure all the cable and connectors are good, maybe a bad LNB? Try swapping lines on the LNB and see if the problem changes lines.

If your using the Azure Shine 31" Dish I assume you have a dual output LNB on it? you would need at least a 3x4 Multi-switch then... 2 lines for your Tivo, and 1 line for each box.

Box is fine...

The problem is voltage or switch related.

Something is not allowing the 18v to pass and make your switch go to right polarity.

This could be a staple through a wire, a short in a wire, a bad multiswitch (unlikely), a bad LNB port (possible), or even one little flake of the braid making a connection between the braid/shield and the center conductor, a kink, ect...

If there is a splitter anywhere in the line it would explain it as well. Splitters=fail.

I did some looking and come to find out... when my dad built the house he used CHEAP RG-6
and the braid on the cable is really thin, so When I attached a twist on F connctor, there was barely any braid to make a connction, so I stripped it and doubled the braid,it is working fine now.

Im not going to spend any $$$ for multiswitches. Directv said that my local channel satellite upgrade is almost ready (there was an error in the system) and they will be coming to my house with a brand new dish and possibly a brand new receiver.
(now I feel like an ID10T for paying $60 for a tivo)

BTW I use Belden for all my projects it has a thick braid and the braid and the center conductor has grease on it.

Last edited:
I did some looking and come to find out... when my dad built the house he used CHEAP RG-6
and the braid on the cable is really thin, so When I attached a twist on F connctor, there was barely any braid to make a connction, so I stripped it and doubled the braid,it is working fine now.
BTW I use Belden for all my projects it has a thick braid and the braid and the center conductor has grease on it.

If you are going to continue to wire ANYTHING for satellite do yourself a favor... forget that twist on F Connectors exist at all.

I have fixed I don't know how many systems that the primary cause of the problems was a stupid twist on connector.

At least go crimp on, although compression is the very best.

Some time ago, I went through all of my cables and redid the connectors with compression. I found them at Lowe's along with the tools (cable stripper and compression tool). I must have done about 50 and only messed up on about 2 (learning curve). They make for a very professional looking installation.

Status
Please reply by conversation.