Missing Transponders on 61.5

NKA

Original poster
Sep 26, 2009
United States
I recently installed a second dish to pick up satellite 61.5. The first dish is pointed at 119, 110 and has a DP twin LNBF. The second dish pointed at 61.5 has a DP single LNBF. All three satellites show good signal strength. However, I'm only getting transponder 29 on 61.5, but not transponder 10, which is the one I need for channel 9710.

I can get channel 9710 when I point the twin at the 61.5. My receiver is a DVR501 (don't laugh). Also, I have the most recent software upgrade for the receiver.

Any ideas on why transponder 10 isn't working with the single LNBF?

Huh. What switch are you using? I had no problems with my 501 in this config using a DP34 switch. Can you get 9902? (This channel is also on tp 10.)

The tech I spoke to said the there is a switch in the DP twin, and a separate one isn't needed for this setup.
You don't need a switch if you have a twin (any variety) and you only want 110/119, because they all have an internal switch. But when you add a wing dish (61.5), you will need an external switch unless you have a DishPro PLUS twin. Does your twin have 3 jacks or 2?

Consider separating tasks into setup and final configuration. To set up, it's often very helpful to connect up a receiver directly to the LNB in order to peak the dish. Then, once you know the new dish orientation is good, then you can recable to the final configuration, including your switches (if any). Do a "check switch" in between each reconfiguration.

Thanks for all the assistance. The twin is a DishPro PLUS with 3 jacks. We tried the steps you suggested but still have the same issue with the single LNB. The only other possibility I can think of is that the single LNB might not be working correctly and needs to be replaced.

You don't need a switch if you have a twin (any variety) and you only want 110/119, because they all have an internal switch. But when you add a wing dish (61.5), you will need an external switch unless you have a DishPro PLUS twin. Does your twin have 3 jacks or 2?

Consider separating tasks into setup and final configuration. To set up, it's often very helpful to connect up a receiver directly to the LNB in order to peak the dish. Then, once you know the new dish orientation is good, then you can recable to the final configuration, including your switches (if any). Do a "check switch" in between each reconfiguration.
Thanks for all the assistance. The twin is a DishPro PLUS with 3 jacks. We tried the steps you suggested but still have the same issue with the single LNB. The only other possibility I can think of is that the single LNB might not be working correctly and needs to be replaced.

OK. If you cabled up your 501 directly to the 61.5 dish DP single LNB and still got no transponder 10, I'm pretty sure you must have a defective DP single. Note that a 501 can't demodulate 8PSK (what Dish uses for HD), so you will not be able to tune most transponders on 61.5. Let me go check TheList...

Here's the list, according to TheList. ;) The only transponders left on 61.5 with QPSK modulation are 8, 10, 14, 18, 21, and 29. The rest are either 8PSK or not currently transmitting. Note that a 501 cannot demodulate the 8PSK transponders; it will show zero signal strength even though they're there. Recommend trying transponder 21. If 21 and 29 come in, but the even transponders above do not, then your DP single LNB is not sending it's bandstacked band.

Last edited:
OK. If you cabled up your 501 directly to the 61.5 dish DP single LNB and still got no transponder 10, I'm pretty sure you must have a defective DP single. Note that a 501 can't demodulate 8PSK (what Dish uses for HD), so you will not be able to tune most transponders on 61.5. Let me go check TheList...

Here's the list, according to TheList. ;) The only transponders left on 61.5 with QPSK modulation are 8, 10, 14, 18, 21, and 29. The rest are either 8PSK or not currently transmitting. Note that a 501 cannot demodulate the 8PSK transponders; it will show zero signal strength even though they're there. Recommend trying transponder 21. If 21 and 29 come in, but the even transponders above do not, then your DP single LNB is not sending it's bandstacked band.
I think you've hit the nail on the head - I'm getting transponders 21 and 29, but none of the others. I'll send for a replacement LNB tomorrow and see if that does the trick. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!!

I installed the replacement LNB today, and it worked! Everything is up and running. Thanks again - couldn't have done it without you!

I installed the replacement LNB today, and it worked! Everything is up and running. Thanks again - couldn't have done it without you!
Hooray! You are most welcome.

Singles... Bah! Dish stopped producing them, so far as I know, in favor of the dual. I had half a dual go bad on me at about the same time as I rearranged cabling in my attic. Drove me nuts until I moved the coax over to the 2nd output and voila. Everything went back to normal. But obviously you can't do that if you have only a single.

I immediately went out and bought two more duals as backup. One is in case my half-dead dual finally gives up the ghost completely. And the other (along with the first) is in case my twin dies unexpectedly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)