Missing Voom Channels?

el_triad

Original poster
Feb 12, 2005
NC
I recently had Voom service installed and I've noticed that on my set some of the channels on my set aren't coming in as they are labeled in the program guide.

ATMAX channel is always broaadcasting MSNBC. The Sci Fi channel is always showing a repeat of what's playing on Bravo. I get all of the Starz channels except for the HD West feed - which says no satellite signal.

I called Tech Support - the hold times are incredible - and all I get is to reset the box. I did a search on google and can't find anyone with similiar scenario so I'm guessing this is unique? Any idea what could be the problem?

No, not unique. Others have had similar problems. I believe the problem was traced to a bad dipleler or a wiring error if you have multiple STBs.

Where's Illa when you need him! Think he may have taken a much needed day off of the forum.

Someone will help you.

Still enjoying HDTV (OK, listening to music-LAGQ at the moment-so shoot me) under clearing Seattle skies, Gill

el_triad said:
ATMAX channel is always broaadcasting MSNBC. The Sci Fi channel is always showing a repeat of what's playing on Bravo. I get all of the Starz channels except for the HD West feed - which says no satellite signal.

I called Tech Support - the hold times are incredible - and all I get is to reset the box. I did a search on google and can't find anyone with similiar scenario so I'm guessing this is unique? Any idea what could be the problem?
I have no idea what causes the problem, but I experienced it once...had the Terminator showing on the HD News channel. Unplugging the box and letting it sit for about an hour solved my problem. You might want to try that until you get some replies from people who know about these things, cause I admit I don't! :eek:

SeattleVoomer1 is probably right about the problem being traced to
a diplexor or having multiple STBs. I had two boxes, and it only happened on one of them, but Ilya (I think) suggested the unplug thing early on, and it worked for me. :) I don't recall whether I had the diplexor at that point. Vicki

el_triad said:
I recently had Voom service installed and I've noticed that on my set some of the channels on my set aren't coming in as they are labeled in the program guide.
Welcome to the forum, el_triad!

This is a polarity issue that can be caused by bad or incorrectly installed LNB, bad diplexer, improper wiring and by some other installation issues. Please read the following thread for details:

Mixed-up channels: Universal-HD instead of StarzHD on channel 261

Good luck!

Sorry, Ilya, about "Illa". It was late last night. But you are alive.

Still enjoying HDTV (well, music actually until 9 PM) under mostly clear Seattle skies, Gill

most likely

THis is a common prob most of the time it comes from faulty wiring usually in pre wired homes they use staple witch damage cables.voom is very sensitive about freq.Usually a new cable ran will correct but unless you pay for fishing you loose your wall plates

Polarity

Most of these guys are right. This is caused by polarity issues, usually with channels that are found on transponder 24, which carries the lowest frequency channels. A short is the system between the dish and receiver will prevent the receiver from switching to the correct polarity for that specific channel, instead it will search for the next channel within that polarity, that is basically why you get mixed channels. Hard booting will only solve the problem for a while, but it will return. Call voom back and tell them you have a polarity issue and they will set up a truck roll. The next time a CSR tells you to do a hard boot for mixed channels, tell them to have their supervisor give them an assesment on transponder 24, this is only a mistake that new CSR's make. Good luck. :)

Thanks, "spahoose", for the info!

spahoose said:
Most of these guys are right. This is caused by polarity issues, usually with channels that are found on transponder 24, which carries the lowest frequency channels. A short is the system between the dish and receiver will prevent the receiver from switching to the correct polarity for that specific channel, instead it will search for the next channel within that polarity, that is basically why you get mixed channels. Hard booting will only solve the problem for a while, but it will return. Call voom back and tell them you have a polarity issue and they will set up a truck roll. The next time a CSR tells you to do a hard boot for mixed channels, tell them to have their supervisor give them an assesment on transponder 24, this is only a mistake that new CSR's make. Good luck. :)

Still enjoying HDTV with the right polarity under partly sunny Seattle skies, Gill

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts