Mixed and missing locals

Status
Please reply by conversation.

stryfe

Original poster
Dec 30, 2008
south louisiana
Hello, hopefully someone can be of assistance.....because phone support doesn't have a clue on this one.

Hardware: receiver D12-100
dish oval, 3 LNB
splitter

This problem has been occuring for the last 4-6 months @ multiple locations, with multiple receivers.

The locals have gone crazy....
(ch#Should Be) What it shows

(3 ABC) DirectTV 101 Network

(7 NBC) Channel not purchased(721)

(10 CBS) PPV Previews

(15 FOX) Sprout(Childrens channel)

(24 PBS) VH1

(50 CW) Blank screen

(62 KLAF) Blank screen

Signal on all 3 birds is pretty good....funny thing is.....

@ a couple of the locations there are other receivers that are on the same dish as the problem receivers..... different accounts, some are older models, but some are D12-100's, and they catch their locals correctly!?!?!?

I've talked to phone support multiple times, and it's always the same thing...

Lets reset with the button
reset with the menu
reset unplug plug reset
reprogram remove card etc......

Been through it probably 30 different times with them....they usually say it's a bad box...or they try to schedule a trouble call.....but these problems are happening in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico....so that's not an option.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

How many lines do you have from the dish do you have to your "splitter" (MultiSwitch) and what type is it.

It seems as though you have 2 lines going from the dish to a 3x4 and it mixes 101 transponders with 119 (or 110) transponders. Up here if we do that Channel 8 (I think it is) becomes Chiller Net vs the Local station.

Hey Zynergi, I think you hit it on the head!

2 inputs coming from the dish to a RCA, 4-way switch MN#D6520

I bypassed the splitter with one of the inputs, and voila!....locals where they are supposed to be.

As I was fiddling with the receiver, I heard a buzzing/hissing noise coming from the splitter(it doesn't have a power inserter). I hooked the inputs and the splitter up the way they were before.....naturally the locals were mixed and missing again......but this time, the screen froze and the audio changed from children's programming, to evening news! I wiggled the splitter, and BAM!, locals where they should be..........for about 30 seconds..........then back to mixed and missing.

I'm not sure why that splitter worked for 30 seconds, why it only affects the locals, or why it doesn't affect the programming of the older receivers that are fed from it, but @ least I was able to find the problem.......I hope......cause I'll be flying them out a new multi switch when I get back to land.

Thank you for your help

You can get a replacement 3x4 from ebay for <$10 or a DirecTV approved one from Radio Shack for <$30

It seems its failing

Good call Zynergi,

However, he only stated that he had 1 rec., if thats the case, he doesn't need the MS at all, he can just bypass the MS and connect directly to the ground block and then to the receiver.

Jimbo

If you have a 3lnb then your going to have the same issues again. if you need up to 4 lines then run the other 2 directly from the dish..and do not use the switch.

btw both switches I mentioned are approved.

If you have more than 4 lines you will need a 4x8 or 6x8 multiswitch with 4 lines from the dish into the switch then out to each IRD.

@ this location there were 4 receivers. 2 D12-100's and 2 older receivers.....the D12's were the only one with the issue.

It's the multiswitch, not the D12s. As Zynergi said, either connect each receiver directly to the dish or run four cables from the dish to a 4- or 6-input multiswitch, such as a Zinwell SAM-6802 or WB68 (the WB68 would be usable if you later upgrade to HD).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts