Mixing DP and Legacy LNBs

HDTVFanAtic

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 23, 2005
I have 3 Legacy LNBs - that I must have - on my larger Dishes - that are run through a SW64. The DP LNBs will not work on these larger dishes. Regardless of that - and not to be a part of it - just be aware I am stuck with those as they are - so don't get distracted asking about that.

Obviously, there is one feed out of the SW64 to each STB.

What I am wondering, can I mix one of the output of the SW64 for example with a SW21 or the like, using a DP 300 LNB with the output of the SW64 for a 211/411/622 or the like?

Or could I use 3 outputs of the SW64 to 3 inputs of a SW44 and add a DP LNB into the mix there?

Or is there a device that will allow the output of a Legacy LNB to be converted to that of a DP, just as a device does exist that converts a DP to legacy for a 6000 for example - regardless of cost efficiencies?

Thanks for the input.

1) DP LNBFs perfectly works on big dishes
2) No one of your proposed setups will works
3) So far only DPP LNBFs could provide signal to legacy receivers.

You have only one option - replace legacy LNBFs to DP or DPP LNBFs.

It was my understanding that the new (211/622) receivers would work just fine with the legacy switches/lnbs. If you want to add a 4th location, take the output of the sw64, connect it to a sw21 and splice in the 4th sat on the 2nd port on the sw21. I believe 4 sats is the max you can have with legacy.

You can't mix n match DP and legacy. The DP gear is expecting the bandstacked (both left and right polarity) output. I don't know of a device that would take two inputs (L and R polarity from a legacy) and stack them :(.

Whats your end goal? Just to use a 211 with the existing legacy setup? I think that should work plug-n-play.

Smith said:
1) DP LNBFs perfectly works on big dishes

2) No one of your proposed setups will works

3) So far only DPP LNBFs could provide signal to legacy receivers.

You have only one option - replace legacy LNBFs to DP or DPP LNBFs.

#1 Not with mine - again, thats another topic - and not part of the question. For me to pick up 148 I must have a lower noise level than OEM DP supply - not to mention I need to reverse the lnbs.

#2 while I dont debate that nothing proposed thus far will work, I still don't want to overlook any option. After all options are explored, then I will concede defeat :D
But not before.

#3 Not sure what you mean there, but it doesnt look to concern me.

HokieEngineer said:
It was my understanding that the new (211/622) receivers would work just fine with the legacy switches/lnbs. If you want to add a 4th location, take the output of the sw64, connect it to a sw21 and splice in the 4th sat on the 2nd port on the sw21. I believe 4 sats is the max you can have with legacy.

You can't mix n match DP and legacy. The DP gear is expecting the bandstacked (both left and right polarity) output. I don't know of a device that would take two inputs (L and R polarity from a legacy) and stack them :(.

Whats your end goal? Just to use a 211 with the existing legacy setup? I think that should work plug-n-play.

They will and I can vouch for that.

I am just trying to figure out how I can get 5 satellite locations into the mix using several legacy lnbs in conjuction with DP lnbs.

It seems that since you can convert a DP feed to legacy, the reverse must somehow be true - even if most would consider it uneconmical.

That is why I was wondering does the output of a SW64 appear DP to a DP STB and Legacy to a Legacy (STB) [in other words, switching it operation in the SW64].

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)