Mixing Satellite and Cable Internet

zarfleen

Original poster
Oct 27, 2008
I recently dumped my cable provider to switch to Dish Network and DSL from my phone company. I am happy with my Dish service, but my DSL performs horribly. I'll spare everyone the details, but I have decided to go back to cable internet. This presents a problem because I have only 2 lines coming in from the outside, and both are used by my 2 Dish receivers (one is a VIP722 and the other is a 301? 311? I don't remember exactly, but it's not HD and not a DVR).

My question is, will I have to get a new line run in from outside, or is there some way to combine the other two lines like with a diplexer or something similar? I want to avoid running a new line if possible, since they could just turn cable service back on. Based on my understanding of diplexers, they combine two different frequency ranges into one. If that is the case, I don't think it can do what I want since I am trying to combine the two satelline lines into one if they are both using the same frequency range. A follow up to that would be, could I have a single line coming in to the VIP722 box, and then a diplexer on the other line going to the other box that combines that with the cable signal and splits it back out on the other end?

Thanks in advance.

A similar problem was discussed recently on the main Dish Network forum.

The cable Internet will almost always work best when the cable modem is on a dedicated run. I have never tried to run the cable Internet signal through a diplexer, but it is carried on a higher frequency than the standard cable TV signal.

My gut tells me that this might not work, but someone more familiar with the technical details of the diplexers could probably give you a more definitive answer. Keep in mind that the cable Internet requires bidirectional communication with each direction at a different frequency.

I had cable modem service for many years sharing the same coax as my Dish service. I used a standard Diplexor w/out any problem. There is some signal loss on both the sat and cable modem but neither was significant. I'm pretty sure that cable modem is always in the allocated frequency of cable TV, well below the 1.5 GHz that Sat (outside DirectV 5 LNB) uses.

Miner

This does work... however a cable installer is not going to diplex your internet into your Dish signal for you...as a Dish tech, I have done this many times when a customer insisted on not having cabling on the outside of his house and I could not easily wall fish. The cable tech will either run a line, or unhook your Dish and give you a BS reason why you need Dish to come run a new line (happens a LOT). Do NOT let him do the latter.... YOU own the service lines that are inside your TV that feeds your house... they only own the line that comes from the pole or underground drop.

Either way, you need to have a tech come out.... might as well have them run a line. It is better this way anyway since while diplexing cable internet and a Sat signal usually does work... it eventually burns out the diplexer, and you will lose both services.... and when that happens they're going to want to run you a new line and charge you anyway. If they refuse to wall fish, a little green persuasion will usually do the trick.

I had cable modem service for many years sharing the same coax as my Dish service. I used a standard Diplexor w/out any problem. There is some signal loss on both the sat and cable modem but neither was significant. I'm pretty sure that cable modem is always in the allocated frequency of cable TV, well below the 1.5 GHz that Sat (outside DirectV 5 LNB) uses.

Miner

LOL, youre killin me....

the spectrum we're interested in here is from like 40mhz to 2250 mhz, far from the sat downlink freq.

the op should be able to check his modems setup for the freqs its running on.

Ive made it work many times also but always prefer a dedicated cable.

LOL, youre killin me....

the spectrum we're interested in here is from like 40mhz to 2250 mhz, far from the sat downlink freq.

the op should be able to check his modems setup for the freqs its running on.

Ive made it work many times also but always prefer a dedicated cable.

Topcat,

2250 MHz = 2.25 GHz unless I'm fouled.

As I understand, OTA's max frequency (83 on the old scale) is just under 890 MHz, cable TV frequency fall below that. I've never seen a cable modem that uses a frequency higher than 900 MHz, most use area around channel 1, others use around channel 40, but there is no standard.

A individual feeds are always nice. But diplexor's do work fine in many situations.

Miner

Topcat,

2250 MHz = 2.25 GHz unless I'm fouled.

As I understand, OTA's max frequency (83 on the old scale) is just under 890 MHz, cable TV frequency fall below that. I've never seen a cable modem that uses a frequency higher than 900 MHz, most use area around channel 1, others use around channel 40, but there is no standard.

A individual feeds are always nice. But diplexor's do work fine in many situations.

Miner

opps. i read that as 15 Ghz. my bad (goin bak 2 sped reding skool now).

I recently dumped my cable provider to switch to Dish Network and DSL from my phone company. I am happy with my Dish service, but my DSL performs horribly. I'll spare everyone the details, but I have decided to go back to cable internet. This presents a problem because I have only 2 lines coming in from the outside, and both are used by my 2 Dish receivers (one is a VIP722 and the other is a 301? 311? I don't remember exactly, but it's not HD and not a DVR).

My question is, will I have to get a new line run in from outside, or is there some way to combine the other two lines like with a diplexer or something similar? I want to avoid running a new line if possible, since they could just turn cable service back on. Based on my understanding of diplexers, they combine two different frequency ranges into one. If that is the case, I don't think it can do what I want since I am trying to combine the two satelline lines into one if they are both using the same frequency range. A follow up to that would be, could I have a single line coming in to the VIP722 box, and then a diplexer on the other line going to the other box that combines that with the cable signal and splits it back out on the other end?

Thanks in advance.

Very simply put.....don't do it. Run another dedicated line

All depends on the specific cable system in your area, what their frequency range is as to whether or not you can use a diplexer without conflicts.

Better off with another line.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts