MLB Blackout Rules & ESPN

AIsmail

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 25, 2005
Stewartsville, NJ
I'm trying to understand MLB blackout rules. I live in western NJ which is considered part of the NY market. Now whenever the Yankees are broadcast natioally on ESPN, say for Sunday night, Wednesday night, or Thursday night baseball, the games are always blacked out. Funny thing is that those games are not broadcast on YES. They are only available on ESPN. I'm guessing that the idiot must be flipping the wrong switch. Many times I'll look to watch a game on ESPN and its blacked out, only to check back an hour or so later to see to see that the game is no longer blacked out. What is Dish doing? More and more it seems like the determination is being made by some guy who works for Dish and not by the rules of MLB. Any ideas?

AIsmail said:
I'm trying to understand MLB blackout rules. I live in western NJ which is considered part of the NY market. Now whenever the Yankees are broadcast natioally on ESPN, say for Sunday night, Wednesday night, or Thursday night baseball, the games are always blacked out. Funny thing is that those games are not broadcast on YES. They are only available on ESPN. I'm guessing that the idiot must be flipping the wrong switch. Many times I'll look to watch a game on ESPN and its blacked out, only to check back an hour or so later to see to see that the game is no longer blacked out. What is Dish doing? More and more it seems like the determination is being made by some guy who works for Dish and not by the rules of MLB. Any ideas?

ESPN does have exclusive rights on Sunday nite. You should not be blacked out on Sunday nite. Some Yankee games on WWOR on Tuesdays and Fridays. All other games are on YES, and since DISH does not carry Yes you will be blacked out on Mon., Wed. and Thurs. ESPN has a three hour block for a game if the game goes beyond 3 hrs you will see the end of the game. I remember one game earlier this year when Yankees and Boston were available to me on Monday. That is allowed 3 times during season, when ESPN and local RSN can both show game.

AIsmail said:
Your problem is that YES is not carried on Dish...ESPN non national coverage has exclusive rights in all markets except the markets of two teams participating in that game....Most Yankees games are of course on YES...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts