MLB Blackout Rules Pertaining to Hawaii

Dennis Brown

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Feb 6, 2008
I know this is an old topic, but I'm still confused. I tried to watch a game on TBS between San Francisco and Atlanta, the home team. It was blacked out in Hawaii. It is my understanding that other west coast teams have similar blackout restrictions. I do receive LA baseball games because I subscribe to them. My questions are:
1. Is it the Dish Network or the teams that make the decision to black out games;
2. Assuming this is a decision of the teams involved, what is the economic rationale involved. Obviously, Hawaii residents cannot attend games on the west coast.

Aloha and Mahalo from the Big Island,

Dennis

1. It is the league. Dish and DIrectv have to follow the rules
2. Who knows. The rule is if a team "claims" an area you are blacked out of the game on the national networks (ESPN, TBS, and for D* folks MLB Net)

According to a blackout map the Angles, Dodgers, Giants, A's and assuming the Padres claim Hawaii. (since 4SD isnt on either company it doesnt show on "RSN lookup" maps but since the other west coast teams claim it, I figure they do too)

Now as I run an address on both D* and E* I notice differences. Dish only gives you FSN West while Directv gives you FSN West, Prime Ticket, CSN Cali and CSN Bay Area. So unfortunately you get double shafted. You can't see it on the national broadcast (TBS) as they force you to see it on the "local" RSN yet Dish decided to not pay the other 3 stations to show the "expanded" market (outside the local area) so you cant see it either. I dont know if the multi-sports pack would help in this case or not.

1. It is the league. Dish and DIrectv have to follow the rules
2. Who knows. The rule is if a team "claims" an area you are blacked out of the game on the national networks (ESPN, TBS, and for D* folks MLB Net)

According to a blackout map the Angles, Dodgers, Giants, A's and assuming the Padres claim Hawaii. (since 4SD isnt on either company it doesnt show on "RSN lookup" maps but since the other west coast teams claim it, I figure they do too)

Now as I run an address on both D* and E* I notice differences. Dish only gives you FSN West while Directv gives you FSN West, Prime Ticket, CSN Cali and CSN Bay Area. So unfortunately you get double shafted. You can't see it on the national broadcast (TBS) as they force you to see it on the "local" RSN yet Dish decided to not pay the other 3 stations to show the "expanded" market (outside the local area) so you cant see it either. I dont know if the multi-sports pack would help in this case or not.

I subscribe to the Multi-Sports Package. According to the Dish website, this package includes 155, 409-453, 474-479. However, most of the baseball channels are blacked out, even ones on the East Coast. So I get the Angels and Dodgers and nothing else.
I spoke with a Dish rep who confirmed that I subscribed to the Multi-Sports Package and blamed MLB for the blackout rules.

When I initially subscribed to the Dish Network years ago, they were the only satellite provider in my area and there was no cable service. Even though it will probably be very costly, I intend to look into moving to the dark side (e.g. directv).

Dennis

Pro sports outside of the local area are blacked out

Since you get the Angels & Dodgers only and the A's & Giants blacked out Dish didnt pay to allow those 2 RSN's to be shown in HI that falls under the "double shafted" rule (national says watch it on local but local is blacked out).

Thanks Iceberg. I'm considering changing my username on the Satellite Guys forum to: Double Shafted in Hawaii.

Dennis

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)