MLB Extra Inning Package Issue - No Cubs/Blue Jays Tonight (7/7/05)?

ian_evil

Original poster
Mar 16, 2004
Hi Everyone:

I subscribe to the MLB Extra Innings package and have been fairly pleased to
this date.

However, when I tried to locate the game I'd like to watch tonight (Chicago
Cubs vs. Toronto Blue Jays on 7/7/05 @ 7:05 PM) I was unable to find it
listed in my program guide.

The game is NOT televised on any national channel (i.e. isn't on Fox or any
of the ESPN feeds). My Cubs program guide says the game will be telecast on
Comcast SportsNet which, for me, is blacked out as I'm in Madison, Wisconsin
and outside of the Cub's designated market area. These games are
specifically the reason why I subscribed to the MLB E.I. package in the
first place. And, I haven't experienced anything like this to date (i.e.
other games that have been broadcast on Comcast SportsNet have been
available to me through one of the MLB E.I. feeds).

I've contacted Dish by telephone (the 800-333-3474 number) to address the
issue and received less than stellar responses, information, and help. To
top things off, after I was transferred to the "supervisor" and explained my
problem she hung up on me. From the conversations I've had w/ Dish, it's
clear that the majority of reps. are not familiar with sporting broadcasts,
designated market areas, blackouts, or any other matters relevant to the
MLB E.I. package.

Does anyone have any idea why I might not receive this game broadcast this evening? One of my friends that subscribes to DirecTV and MLB E.I. (located in the same area and DMA as I) says that he sees the game in his program guide. Wouldn't both Dish and DirecTV be carrying the same content since it is the same sports package?

Ultimately, any additional information anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated. I'm going to call Dish back up once I've gathered my thoughts in hopes of getting a better rep that might know a thing or two about sporting broadcasts but if anyone can provide some insight before I call again that would be really cool.

Thanks in advance guys and gals,

J.P.

korsjs said:
i don't think they are allowed to show it on extra innings because the game is being played in canada. another silly rule.
Wrong. The game is at Wrigley. .

Also, E* & D* do NOT have the same EI package. Since E* doesn't carry YES, no YES games are on EI on E*.

I don't know why they aren't showing the game there on EI unless they are out of channel space and had to pick a game to not show & they picked that one.

I don't subscribe to Extra Innings, but my guide shows it on Channel 638 on Dish.

The game was on channel 638 last night, I believe it was Comcast judging from the commercials. I know some of the games are aired on WCIU and those aren't part of MLB EI. Cubbies lost anyway.

Be glad you aren't in the DC area, we have both DC and Baltimore blacked out on EI and DC isn't on anywhere unless you have Direct TV

Final Comments and Outcome from 7/7/05

Thank you for all of your comments and insight. This was an extremely wierd occurence yesterday punctuated by some magnificently poor customer service from Dish.

I didn't realize that this site includes functionality to view and post to the alt.dbs.echostar usenet group. I've followedup on the majority of responses I received to my original post to alt.dbs.echostar; the thread can be viewed at that "alt.dbs.echostar" portion of this board under the "URGENT: MLB Extra Innings Package "Issue" titled thread.

But, just so don't have to click around here is the conclusion to the issue:

I spent about 2 hours in all talking to Dish about this issue. Here's some of the junk they tried to feed me (repeatedly!..each rep basically repeated the same crap (except the last guy I spoke to who was knowledgable, helpful, and actually LISTENED to what I was saying)):

1) There is no game today.

Even though I saw it listed next to Comcast Sportsnet Chicago in my program guide (but blacked out since I live near Madison, WI and am not in the Cubs DMA) and even though I was holding the official Cubs schedule in right in my hand which stated there WAS a game and it WOULD be broadcast.

2) You don't get the game because it is blacked out.

Since I don't live in the Cubs DMA I know that the game would be blacked out in my area. This is, as you might imagine, SPECIFICALLY why I purchased E.I. I tried explaining that ALL of the previous Cubs game that Comcast owned the rights to I had viewed w/ one of the E.I. feeds/channels but to no avail.

3) Fox/ESPN owned the rights to the game.

Again, I explained that Comcast owned the rights and that my guide showed Comcast as broadcasting the game.

4) E.I. is only supposed to be used to view in-market games

WTF?? Hardly deserving of a response. However, I repeatedly indicated that E.I. is for watching OUT-OF-MARKET games. That's how the package is marketed and that's specifically what the package if for.

5) I can't view the game because I'm in the Cubs DMA.

Again, hardly deserving of a response. If I was in the Cubs DMA the Comcast Sportsnet Chicago channel (channel 429) wouldn't have the broadcast blacked-out for my area.

The bottom line is that my financial resources are limited and my fiance' and I greatly scrutinized our E.I. purchase. And, when I pay for services, I'm entitled to those services and will fight tooth-and-nail to get what I paid for.

Here's the really crazy thing. After I wrangling for about 2 hours with reps and, supposed, "supervisors", I was placed on hold but didn't get the usual hold muzak (you know, piano versions of "Rider on the Storm" and the like..lol)
which gave me the district impression that she was just making me wait for
no other reason than to mess with me. The poor fellow that got the call
next wasn't provided w/ hardly any relevant info on the situation and I had to
repeat the same story I had already told 4 or 5 other reps once again. After actually listening to what I was saying, he verified that there was something funny going on. Grasping at straws he asked me to review my E.I. channel as displayed in my program guide one more time (he had me review the offerings at the beginning of the call at which time I was still unable to locate the game) and, low-and-behold. There it was! But, here's some more wierdness...the program guide entry was not consistent w/ the way E.I. games usually look (it wasn't the usual block of time that is typically scheduled in the guide). AND, for a cherry on top, the game suspiciously went out right as the 9th inning started. I received a screen that indicated Dish Network was "experiencing some technical difficulties". These "technical difficulties" magically cleared up right after the game had ended. I missed the whole 9th inning and, therefor, the outcome of the game.

Well, I'm not sure how I want to pursue this issue at this point. I need to, at the very least, talk to someone in a position to take appropriate action against the horrible Reps. I spoke to yesterday. They need to be, at the very least, reprimanded. And, the person that finally actually helped me (John..I have his employee ID or something at home) needs to be commended and compensated appropriately for the service he provided to me last night. Ultimately, Dish needs to do something to regain my confidence or I will have to consider alternatives to their service.

Thanks Again Everyone! Any additional comments, advice, and information is greatly appreciated.

J.P.

Send an email to Charlie. A couple of years ago when the Cubbies were in the playoffs MLB in all its wisdom scheduled AL & NL playoffs at the same time. Everybody in my market were supposed to have AL on Fox & NL on FX, well of course Dish didn't. I got hot and called custserv to no avail and ended up firing off a testy missive to Charlie and got a response and I think a free movie coupon.

Sparkman said:
Wrong. The game is at Wrigley. .

Also, E* & D* do NOT have the same EI package. Since E* doesn't carry YES, no YES games are on EI on E*.

I don't know why they aren't showing the game there on EI unless they are out of channel space and had to pick a game to not show & they picked that one.

sorry that i was WRONG. The way he wrote the game

"However, when I tried to locate the game I'd like to watch tonight (Chicago
Cubs vs. Toronto Blue Jays on 7/7/05 @ 7:05 PM) I was unable to find it
listed in my program guide."

threw me off. The home team is usually listed last.

My bad.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)