MLB Extra Innings Exclusively on Directv

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

bbd24

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
Those that have dish or cable and love to watch there out of market baseball teams, well, you better make the switch ....

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/20/s...&ei=5087 &oref=slogin&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

Major League Baseball is close to announcing a deal that will place its Extra Innings package of out-of-market games exclusively on DirecTV, which will also become the only carrier of a long-planned 24-hour baseball channel.

Extra Innings has been available to 75 million cable households and the two satellite services, DirecTV and the Dish Network. But the new agreement will take it off cable and Dish because DirecTV has agreed to pay $700 million over seven years, according to three executives briefed on the details of the contract but not authorized to speak about them publicly.

InDemand, which has distributed Extra Innings to the cable television industry since 2002, made an estimated $70 million bid to renew its rights, more than triple what it has been paying. Part of its offer included the right to carry the new baseball channel, but not exclusively.

The baseball channel is scheduled to start in 2009.

M.L.B., DirecTV and InDemand officials declined to comment.

DirecTV is also the exclusive outlet for the N.F.L.’s Sunday Ticket package, for which it pays $700 million annually. Sunday Ticket has about 2 million subscribers; Extra Innings about 750,000, according to The Sports Business Journal.

Extra Innings lets subscribers, for a fee, watch about 60 games a week from other local markets except their own.

The only other way that fans without DirecTV will be able to see Extra Innings will be on MLB.com’s mlb.tv service, but they must have high-speed broadband service. About 28 million homes have high-speed service, less than half the number of cable homes in the country. The picture quality of streamed games is not as good as what is available on cable or satellite.

DirecTV is available to about 15 million subscribers.

Last month, Senator Arlen Specter, Republican of Pennsylvania, who was then the head of the Senate Judiciary Committee, cited DirecTV’s exclusivity with Sunday Ticket as a reason to strip the N.F.L. of an antitrust exemption to negotiate all TV contracts for its teams. Comcast, which has complained that it cannot carry Sunday Ticket, is a Philadelphia-based company.

ok. Thanks, Charper 1 . Didnt see it on the board. If you have access, delete this thread.

Oh don't worry about it; just thought you would like to read all the other comments floating about.

I do not, but it will likely get merged or axed in a while.

no prices listed yet.

because of this, i decided to reactivate my account......can't spend a summer without my reds and cubbies!!

plus, i really missed sunday ticket this past fall.

i was glad i didn't have any problems. but that doesn't mean, i'm not happy that d* seems to be getting all of the sports subscriptions!!!!!!

no prices listed yet.

because of this, i decided to reactivate my account......can't spend a summer without my reds and cubbies!!

plus, i really missed sunday ticket this past fall.

i was glad i didn't have any problems. but that doesn't mean, i'm not happy that d* seems to be getting all of the sports subscriptions!!!!!!

Well D* IS the Sports HD Leader !!!!

Jimbo

i agree robbiee19.

i cancelled my account with them because i even had problems with their retention department. i won't go into the details.

anyhow, it also appears i may have to go back to hd with them and i'm fearful that will open the can of worms i dealt with before.

i love my cable hd pq. i love my cable companies customer service. i would like to keep both (for the time being). but living on a fixed income is difficult enough.

ETA: just changed my order for hd upgrade (with dvr) instead of movers connection. yikes, jimbo, am i that addicted to sports? but this means bye-bye cable. and i'm not happy about that. those people have been wonderful to me.......sigh! my wallet will thank me, though.

Last edited:
I agree with the fact most people don't want to give up what they like just to get something that is exclusive to another. I have Dish, I like Dish. I don't want to give up Dish. I also like baseball very much and need to have it this season. I have been with Dish for over 10 years and I don't really have much to complain about them. I think everyone has troubles with any company their with and tend to switch around alot. I do plan on getting Direct, but only at their very lowest plan and only so I can get MLBEI. I will keep my Dish for as long as it takes for Direct to Prove they are going to come through with all of this hoopla about added HD programming. If this happens then I will switch completely to Direct because it won't make sense to keep them both. I actually hope Direct will surpass Dish . I am still waiting to hear an "official" announcement from someone that this exclusive deal is actually going to happen because if not I will just stay put for now.

If I have Dish service, but I still have a Directv dish and receiver where I use to have service with them would I have to subscribe to one of Directv's packages to be able to get MLB Extra Innings?

When the deal is inked I am leaving Dish. Just too many sports on Direct to pass up.

Latest on the deal from Sports Business Journal is that the carriage of the MLB Channel, to debut in 2009, on the basic tier was what sealed the deal. InDemand and the Cable companies would only put the channel in the digital tier, so they went to D*, since D* is going to put the channel on the base Total Choice package. Deal is expected to be announced in two weeks. No word at the moment on pricing for the package this season.

Some in the E* forum is stating the exclusive Extra Innings will not go into effect until the 2008 season but I have not seen any press to back it up.

Yeah those posting 2008 haven't been following the EI negotiations at all. The agreement is up with all providers, so it will start 2007 season onward. And if all the reports are true, D* will be the only place to get EI this season forward until the 7 years contract expires after the 2014 season.

Anybody know what it will cost?

I certainly wouldn't be surprised if it was $250.

I'm just going to bite the bullet in 2007, and go with mlb.tv starting in 2008, as I doubt DIRECTV is going to add anythign worthwhile to the package to justify at least a $100 price increase per season.

If they add off-air baseball telecasts, Rogers Sportsnet/TSN canada telecasts, comcast philly, cox4 san diego and stadiumvision feeds to the DIRECTV EI package, it would be worth a $250/season price.

when I broke the news to my Dad (D* subscriber), he seemed really happy about it. He seems to think that means he will get to see more games in HD. This may or may not be true.. but I can see them "Superfanning" the HD games, making you pay more for them.

Yeah those posting 2008 haven't been following the EI negotiations at all. The agreement is up with all providers, so it will start 2007 season onward. And if all the reports are true, D* will be the only place to get EI this season forward until the 7 years contract expires after the 2014 season.

How do you know that it is a 7 year contract?

Cause it was in the Sports Business Journal articles, that broke the EI exclusivity and the follow up, that the deal will be announced soon.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)