MLB Games on RSNs - Figuring out which are in HD

kstile

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 7, 2005
There have been a few threads around here about the fact that due to bandwidth issues, Dish isn't broadcasting every RSN baseball game in HD when the source material is available.

In my case, it was the Mariners - a few games that I know were available from Fox Sports Northwest in HD (they were broadcast that way in HD) were not available on Dish in HD. And the bandwidth sharing goes further, too, in that sometimes the Mariners games are JIP - Joined In Progress - so that if the East Coast game isn't over by the first pitch of the Ms (7:10pm PT, mostly) we have to wait (and watch the end of the other game).

With the help of the satelliteguys.us community, I'd like to track across all the RSNs how well Dish is doing and whether there is any pattern to which teams get stuck in SD.

Therefore, if you're a fan, bookmark this Google Spreadsheet:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=rwUqWJHDOsaEpAhEaPGPo-g

In it you can enter the date, the game, the RSN, and whether it was in HD. I've added in a Notes field as well for things like JIP, etc.

While Dish has admitted the issue, I'd like to know if they're being "fair" or whether certain teams, timezones, divisions, etc. are getting shortchanged. At this point I believe that all games being produced by the RSNs are in HD - does anyone have reason to think otherwise, esp. from some of the smaller market teams?

If you have any suggestions or a better way to collect/represent the data, feel free to update the spreadsheet. That said, please don't muck it up :).

First, I'd just like to clarify, the bandwidth issue is because Dish CHOOSES not to dedicate enough tp space to HD RSN's. By all accounts they have plenty of space if they wanted to fix this issue.

Second, I would suggest that perhaps we only add games on the spreadsheet that were produced in HD but NOT shown in HD on dish (or were JIP). By process of elimination we can always find out how many did air in HD.

I would suggest that perhaps we only add games on the spreadsheet that were produced in HD but NOT shown in HD on dish (or were JIP). By process of elimination we can always find out how many did air in HD.

Agreed. I've updated the spreadsheet with a note:

"Please add only those games that were either JIP or were NOT shown in HD on Dish when it is KNOWN that the source feed from the RSN was in HD."

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=rwUqWJHDOsaEpAhEaPGPo-g

At this point I believe that all games being produced by the RSNs are in HD - does anyone have reason to think otherwise, esp. from some of the smaller market teams?

Unfortunately you are incorrect. I can't speak for any other channels but on Comcast Sportsnet California(only tv network to carry any A's games this year) not all of the A's games are in HD. A look at the TV schedule on the A's website shows that. So to state that all MLB games on RSNs are available on dtv\cable in HD is at least not totally accurate.

The SF Giants & the A's are getting the same treatment as your team. I suspect only west coast teams are getting the dreaded JIP treatment. Yesterday SF Giants game time was 7:05 but the HD telecast did start until 7:30. Even worse was that we are no longer getting the end of the "other" east coast game instead we get "Check back often to see if your favorite team is playing in HD" message until they switch over. Sundays, Tuesday, Fridays and sometimes Wednesday are the worse nights for JIP since there's a full schedule and not many day games are scheduled. Sunday a problem for the opposite reason because there's not many night games that day.

I usually DVR a lot of MLB games on our RSNs and last Sunday the HD game between the SF Giants and the Dodgers didn't get shown until the 4th inning because of other game was still going and went extra innings. I missed all of those early innings because I recorded the game to the DVR. Next Tuesday, the A's and Giants both have JIP in the HD title and both will probably start late. At least late is better than nothing in HD.

I recall that whenever the Mets play at either Milwaukee or Denver, the games are in SD only. I'm not sure about this year yet but there was a game this year where the Mets game was not available in HD and I can't remember which one it was.

At this point I believe that all games being produced by the RSNs are in HD - does anyone have reason to think otherwise, esp. from some of the smaller market teams?

FSN South and SportSouth aren't broadcasting like 8 or 9 Braves games in HD for some reason (bandwidth through FSN's facility I assume). Kind of silly since WPCH has no problem producing all of their games in HD...

It looks like Dish figured out these things well in advance (at least 9 days, maybe for the entire season?). I went to the Guide and compared the SD and HD versions of the channel I watch the Mariners on (Fox Sports Northwest, 426). As I found each game in SD, I could see whether it was listed as well on the HD channel and whether it was JIP.

We're screwed next Tuesday vs. the As (SD only), and have JIP tomorrow and next Friday.

Thanks to everyone for updating the spreadsheet!

FSN here in Detroit does not show every Tiger game in HD, but so far each one that has been shown in HD has been also has had the HD feed on Dish this far

I stand corrected....According to the Fox sports schedule tonights game is in HD....Not on Dish :(

Last edited:
When I asked a CSR why last Monday night's Red Sox-Blue Jays game on NESN was only available in SD, they had no answer but denied that it was a bandwidth issue. :mad:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts