Please reply by conversation.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
OK quick question on the blackouts for MLB Net

I know the rules that if your team is on MLB Net and your local RSN/OTA is carrying it you are blacked out.

But Tuesday the Twins play the BlueJays at 11:30 CDT. Its on MLB Net. FSN North is not doing the game (Rogers Sportsnet is)

So since the only way for me to see the game is MLB Net I shouldnt be blacked out right? (since my local RSN isnt doing the game)

That is a tough one. Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. If MLB has the rights to show that game exclusively, then yes.

The Jays are broadcasting this game on SNET, so I don't think MLBNet has exclusive rights.

that's a tough one ice. I remember watching reds-expos, tigers-blue jays games on cbc channels on the big dish in french drove my mother crazy!

DodgerKing said:
That is a tough one. Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. If MLB has the rights to show that game exclusively, then yes.

The Jays are broadcasting this game on SNET, so I don't think MLBNet has exclusive rights.

That also becomes more interesting because Rogers is Canadian.

I've seen Jays games on MLB Net using the SNET feed

I guess I will have to see Tuesday ;)

I've seen Jays games on MLB Net using the SNET feed

I guess I will have to see Tuesday ;)

Baseball blackout rules are just plain dumb. Because where I live, I am subject to blackout of the Yankees, Mets, Pirates and Indians on MLB EI or MLB.TV. However, I am not subject to blackout rules for the Blue Jays and Toronto only is 70 miles away from me. I can watch any Blue Jays game on MLB EI, as long as they aren't playing the Yanks, Mets, Pirates or Indians. This is why mlb.tv is not a option for Yankee Fans whom are Dish subs in the Buffalo Area.

Blue Jays are only blacked out in Canada. They cannot "claim" any part of the US last I checked

Blue Jays are only blacked out in Canada. They cannot "claim" any part of the US last I checked

Isn't that crazy, when 10-20% of their ticket sales are to U.S. Fans. I can sub to mlbei and get the blue jays, but not the yanks, mets, pirates or indians, because they are deemed to claim this area as their territory and you must watch the game on your rsn,, whether you get in or not in Dish's case with the Yanks) and the closest any of those teams are to me is Cleveland which is 200 miles, yet Toronto an hour and half away:confused:

here is something even goofier. US teams go into Canada

The Toronto Blue Jays' blackout territory includes all of Canada. However, they must share British Columbia and Alberta with the Seattle Mariners, Saskatchewan and Manitoba with the Minnesota Twins, and the Maritimes (New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, and Prince Edward Island) with the Boston Red Sox

here is something even goofier. US teams go into Canada

The Toronto Blue Jays' blackout territory includes all of Canada. However, they must share British Columbia and Alberta with the Seattle Mariners, Saskatchewan and Manitoba with the Minnesota Twins, and the Maritimes (New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, and Prince Edward Island) with the Boston Red Sox

I imagine everybody from PBI and the newfies are all gonna come down to Fenway for a game real soon.:D

OK quick question on the blackouts for MLB Net

I know the rules that if your team is on MLB Net and your local RSN/OTA is carrying it you are blacked out.

But Tuesday the Twins play the BlueJays at 11:30 CDT. Its on MLB Net. FSN North is not doing the game (Rogers Sportsnet is)

So since the only way for me to see the game is MLB Net I shouldnt be blacked out right? (since my local RSN isnt doing the game
)
Correct, you will be able to watch the game. :p

I don't get it...never will get it. It has been explained to me a hundred times and my brain refuses to understand the whole blackout thing. So yesterday I was set to watch the Pirates at Phils and I knew I was ok, not on the MLB EI wich was blacked out but on the Pirates RSN which I get because I have the sportspack, oh and I am in the Pirates footprint being in Columbus Ohio.
Anyway, my brother also has MLB EI but no sportspack so he was blacked out.
Frankly, I dont get why an away game would ever be blacked out on MLB EI. Isn't the whole thing based on games being sold out or am I thinking about football. Either way, I can not believe that this is still going on, it amazes me.

I don't get it...never will get it. It has been explained to me a hundred times and my brain refuses to understand the whole blackout thing. So yesterday I was set to watch the Pirates at Phils and I knew I was ok, not on the MLB EI wich was blacked out but on the Pirates RSN which I get because I have the sportspack, oh and I am in the Pirates footprint being in Columbus Ohio.
Anyway, my brother also has MLB EI but no sportspack so he was blacked out.

OK...I'll try to explain it as best I can

If any team claims your market, you are blacked out of the game on MLB EI. Simple enough...
In your market to get the Pirates you need to get the sports pack. Since your brother doesnt have the sports pack, he can't see the Pirates

Columbus is a weird market. With Choice you get FSN Ohio & FSN Cinci. With Choice + you get STO then too. With Premier or the sports pack you get the Pirates

A friend of mine is in the same boat. She is in Iowa and her RSN is CSN Chicago. If she adds the sports pack she gets the Twins (FSN North), Brewers (FSN Wi), Cards (FSN Midwest) and Royals (FSN KC)....the MLB EI channels show blacked out.

oh I agree

If you have MLB EI, NBA LP, NHL CI you should not get your LOCAL teams on there which is understandable...not teams that due to some weird rule forces you to buy BOTH NHL CI (or MLB EI/NBA LP) & the multi sports pack

But it could be worse....you could be with Dish where Cheap Charlie screws you 2 ways. Good example is Northeastern Minnesota. That is claimed by both the Twins and Brewers.
On D* you get both without any sports pack
on E* if you live in MN you ONLY get the Twins. Brewers blacked out

Now when Dish had MLB EI you were blacked out on BOTH FSN Wisconsin (well it was called FSN North-W at the time) and on MLB EI so you couldnt see it at all

I agree the rules suck.

by the way I'm NOT blacked out. Watching game right now :)

Well I just lost my "7 week free preveiw". It seems TWC doesn't want to give dedicated separate channel numbers for nhlci and mlbei, and they share the channels when the seasons overlap. Whereas, the Stanley Cup Playoffs are in the 3rd round now, so they have dumped the nhlci access to the channels and thus I lost my "free preview" mlb extra innings. Oh well, back to atd.net tv:D I am watching the IHF World Championships now.;), and will get all the baseball I need there too;)

I live outside of Rochester NY and watch the Mets on SNY and WPIX on Dish. I would like to switch to Direct for better HD sports but I am unsure if I would still be able to watch the games that are shown on WPIX or am I just stuck with Dish.

bottom line
MLB rules are stupid and they suck.

NFL ST rules make sense pretty reasonable but really should not have a blackout either considering the cost.

I live outside of Rochester NY and watch the Mets on SNY and WPIX on Dish. I would like to switch to Direct for better HD sports but I am unsure if I would still be able to watch the games that are shown on WPIX or am I just stuck with Dish.

Unless a local station in Rochester carries the game you would not be able to see the game. Directv only carries WPIX in the NY market

on the positive side, ALL the games are in HD with Directv...no worrying if it will be in HD ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts