MLB Packages on Directv available in Hawaii

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Dennis Brown

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Feb 6, 2008
I'm a long time Dish subscriber whose thinking of switching to Directv. I tried to get a channel lineup from the Directv website but it's not available. I have to call a toll-free number. I prefer to see a list. Is there one available? Also, the selection of major league baseball games on Dish is not very good. Are there better packages available to Hawaii residents on directv.

Thanks,

Aloha and Mahalo from the Big Island,

Dennis

There are printable channel lineups on this page: DIRECTV: English Packages

You have to enter a zip code to get the correct local channels and RSNs.

In Hawaii, you'll receive the Angels Dodgers on FS West and Prime Ticket and the Giants and As on CSN Bay Area and CSN California. DirecTV also offers MLB Network and MLB Extra Innings.

Last edited:
yeah in Hawaii you'll get the 4 teams I mentioned in the other thread. With Dish they dont give you SF & A's even though they claim the islands

With MLB EI you'll be blacked out of those 4 teams and San Diego too (as they claim Hawaii)

Just wondering. How far outside CONUS do satellites reach on Direct?
I mean if I hit the lottery I will need my HD when I move to Hawaii.:)

What about our friends in Alaska? Do they get all of the national HD we get here on the mainland?

Hawaii is covered by D* but requires different equipment..when you put in a zip for HI in the D* system it shows

HAWAII RESIDENTS - TAKE THE FAST TRACK TO DIRECTV® SERVICE: Because of Hawaii's unique equipment and programming needs, we've set up a special toll-free telephone number just for you. Just call 1-877-897-8131 to order DIRECTV® service. Mahalo!

In Alaska D* you need a 4 foot dish minimum...but there are ways to get HD in both spots

Thanks again Iceberg. I guess DIRECTV offers the Bay Area MLB teams in addition to those offered by Dish (the two LA teams). If you pay the heavy-duty premium for MLB Extra Innings, it's not clear to me what you actually get vs. what's blacked out. The DIRECTV website indicates up to 80 games. This could mean one or 79. It's probably not worth it to change from Dish to DIRECTV. However, I'll call them in the morning and see what the costs are.

Thanks again,

Dennis

Dennis
Any game that is not a "local" team is on EI
Local for you would be the A's, Angels, Dodgers, Giants and Padres. Those games (sans Padres) you would get on the local RSN's

If you want to see games outside the "local" (and I understand local is over 2500 miles away) area then get EI.

For me as example in Minnesota I see the Twins and Brewers on the regular RSN channels. The other games I'd see on MLB EI so you do get a fair amount of games

I just spoke with a DIRECTV CSR regarding switching from Dish. It was awful. I got a canned marketing hard sell. Even though I prefaced the conversation that I am an existing Dish customer trying to replicate my existing system thru DIRECTV (e.g. 2 HDDVR's), I was told only one would be installed. So I never got an answer on the cost of installing 2 HDDVR receivers. I asked the CSR about the availability of HR 24 receivers. He didn't know what I was talking about.

The discussion about programming was even worse. I asked concerning whether I would be eligible for the CW network channels (WPIX, KTLA, etc.) that I now receive via Dish. He indicated that I would not be eligible for these channels because I can get KHON2 in Honolulu. KHON2 is a FOX station not a CW affiliate. We do have a Honolulu station (K-5) that has some CW programming, sometimes at odd hours.

I had lots of other questions about programming but gave up.

Is there any way to insure that I talk with someone knowledgeable at DIRECTV or do you just call again and again until you get somebody that knows what they're talking about. Is there any way to send an e-mail and get answers in writing.

Thanks,

Dennis

Hi Dennis,

When he referred to KHON2, he was probably referring to the KHON digital subchannel 2-2, which is a CW affiliate. Dish Network apparently offers this channel as well, although the lookup tool is being a little strange and indicates it is on channel 0 (but it should also be on channel 5669) Unfortunately, DirecTV does not offer a superstation package, so you would not still be able to receive WPIX and KTLA.

You may have better luck consulting a local installer. They would almost certainly have a better idea of what equipment is available in your area, and they would likely be able to help you with pricing and any programming questions that can't be answered here.

I just spoke with a DIRECTV CSR regarding switching from Dish. It was awful. I got a canned marketing hard sell. Even though I prefaced the conversation that I am an existing Dish customer trying to replicate my existing system thru DIRECTV (e.g. 2 HDDVR's), I was told only one would be installed. So I never got an answer on the cost of installing 2 HDDVR receivers. I asked the CSR about the availability of HR 24 receivers. He didn't know what I was talking about.

The discussion about programming was even worse. I asked concerning whether I would be eligible for the CW network channels (WPIX, KTLA, etc.) that I now receive via Dish. He indicated that I would not be eligible for these channels because I can get KHON2 in Honolulu. KHON2 is a FOX station not a CW affiliate. We do have a Honolulu station (K-5) that has some CW programming, sometimes at odd hours.

I had lots of other questions about programming but gave up.

Is there any way to insure that I talk with someone knowledgeable at DIRECTV or do you just call again and again until you get somebody that knows what they're talking about. Is there any way to send an e-mail and get answers in writing.

Thanks,

Dennis

The superstation package you mentioned ( WPIX,KTLA etc ) is one of the ONLY things DishNet has that Directv doesnt have. I sure wished they did! I used to get the same package on my cband system in the old days. On DTV they are only avail in their local areas as local channels.

Dennis
Did you call the special number that I posted above?
Or maybe try a local retailer

These are the locals you would get in HI

KHON-FOX
KHONDT2-CW
KITV-ABC
KITVDT2
KFVE-MY
KGMB-CBS
KHET-PBS
KHETDT2-PBS KIDS
KHNL-NBC
KIKU-IND
KIKUDT2-
KKAI-FAITH TV
KUPU-IND

so you do get a CW (K5 is My Network....love watching the Hawaii FB games from there) ;)

After getting the run-around from a DIRECTV CSR, I sent an e-mail to Customer Support and received an apology and a comprehensive response detailing hardware and programming costs. I'm very impressed with the rapid response time.

Customer Support indicated that the only CW affiliate available to me is KHONDT2 in Honolulu. I have e-mailed this station to determine if they carry the full CW lineup. It appears that they do.

Thanks to Iceberg and everyone else for all your help.

Dennis

Dennis
Did you call the special number that I posted above?
Or maybe try a local retailer

These are the locals you would get in HI

KHON-FOX
KHONDT2-CW
KITV-ABC
KITVDT2
KFVE-MY
KGMB-CBS
KHET-PBS
KHETDT2-PBS KIDS
KHNL-NBC
KIKU-IND
KIKUDT2-
KKAI-FAITH TV
KUPU-IND

so you do get a CW (K5 is My Network....love watching the Hawaii FB games from there) ;)

I did call the special number which you listed. This is where I got the hard-sell run-around.

Dennis

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts