MLB Releases 2009 Schedule

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

BillD1984

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 9, 2008
MA
I think this is the earliest this has ever been released. Two things of note:

The Mets will open up Citi Field against the Padres on April 13.

The Yankees will open the New Yankee Stadium on April 16 against the Indians.

3-Day Glance | MLB.com: Schedule

- What a WEIRD time to release the schedule. Why not release it sometime during November, when it would cause at least somebody to think about baseball during the off-season.

- I suspect that the Mets game will be an ESPN Monday night game. My guess is that the Yankee game will be a day game.

A few notes after digesting the '09 MLB schedule.....

- The Indians start the season on the road at Alrlington, Texas instead of at home in late March. I like this for two reasons. 1) Cleveland is still very cold and the chances for a snow storm are still likely that time of the year. 2) I’m all for starting in Arlington as it seems that the team gets a sense of confidence down there in terms of hitting. Good way to start the year.

- I find it weird that we are the team that will be playing the Yankees during their inaugural game at the new stadium. I mean, it’s an honor and all (I think), but why us?

- The Indians have quite a few "summer-time" games at home next year. 63 games will be played at Progressive Field after Memorial Day; a dozen more than this season.

- The Indians play the NL Central this year for interleague play. In the event that the Brewers re-sign C.C. Sabathia, we could wind up facing the hefty lefty.

- Interleague play against the NL Central means that we will be playing a series in Wrigley Field. I've never been to that park, nor have I been to Chicago. I think I've just found out where my summer vacation will be next year!

HD MM, I'm assuming Progressive Field was Jacobs Field. Another stadium name change although I shouldn't complain because Shea Stadium is closing for CitiField.
You were saying about the Indians starting there season in Texas. Didn't Cleveland have snow, I think, 2 yrs. ago, and there series with the Mariners got screwed up. I also think the Indians needed those games to make the playoffs.

HD MM, I'm assuming Progressive Field was Jacobs Field. Another stadium name change although I shouldn't complain because Shea Stadium is closing for CitiField.
You were saying about the Indians starting there season in Texas. Didn't Cleveland have snow, I think, 2 yrs. ago, and there series with the Mariners got screwed up. I also think the Indians needed those games to make the playoffs.

Yes Jacob's Field is now called Progressive Field. The Jacob's Field naming rights ran out after 13 years.

And the snow-out in Cleveland was last year. We had to cancel a few games and actually moved some of our "home" games to Milwaukee, where we played them at Miller Park. For this reason, I am happy that for the first time in a very long time, we are opening up the season on the road. Weather in Cleveland at the end of March is still yucky.

Had the Tribe not been snowed out last year, maybe Cleveland would have won a game that could have given them home-field advantage for the ALCS?

Had the Tribe not been snowed out last year, maybe Cleveland would have won a game that could have given them home-field advantage for the ALCS?

Sabres, actually the Indians and Red Sox both ended the '07 regular season with a 96-66 record. The Red Sox received home-field advantage by virtue of winning the season series against Cleveland, 5 games to 2.

So, yes Cleveland was screwed again. Had we won 1 measly more game, we would've earned home field advantage throughout last year's playoffs. With that said, I don't know that it would've mattered with the way Josh Beckett pitched last year. That guy was nearly unhitable in the playoffs!

The Indians start the season on the road at Alrlington, Texas instead of at home in late March. I like this for two reasons. 1) Cleveland is still very cold and the chances for a snow storm are still likely that time of the year.

Weather in Cleveland at the end of March is still yucky.

Not that it makes much difference, but the first game of the season for most clubs is not the end of March but April 6 next year!!!...:rolleyes:

Not that it makes much difference, but the first game of the season for most clubs is not the end of March but April 6 next year!!!...:rolleyes:

Yes I know. That was part of the discussion. MLB has moved the start of the season back 2 weeks, plus on top of that, the Indians start the season on the road in April, helping to eliminate the possibility of playing in the snow.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)