Please reply by conversation.

whitewolf8214

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
May 13, 2004
Space
Will directv get this or do we have it already? MLB Strike Zone...thank you for any help :) sounds somewhat interesting :)

From what I remember, Directv offered it 4 nights a week as part of Extra Innings back in 2008 or 2009. It was eliminated when MLB Network launched, since most evenings they have the same type of programming other than when they are airing live games.

It was an exclusive channel operated by Directv, like their NFL RedZone Channel. Now the NFL runs their own RedZone channel but Directv has kept their own for NFLST.

I do not see this coming back since MLB Network has very similar programming.

Just FYI DISH will be adding it this Wednesday (although it will only be active on Tuesdays and Thursdays). Dish also carried MLB Network as well.

The Strike Zone Channel used to be part of the EI package with DirecTV. They got rid of it when MLBNet was added. It is possible they can bring it back sine other providers with MLBNet have this channel.

Just FYI DISH will be adding it this Wednesday (although it will only be active on Tuesdays and Thursdays). Dish also carried MLB Network as well.
I wonder if this is because they do not have EI so they are offering this as a replacement to EI instead of a replacement for MLBNet.

Why will it be active on the two days where the least amount of games are played?

From what I remember, Directv offered it 4 nights a week as part of Extra Innings back in 2008 or 2009. It was eliminated when MLB Network launched, since most evenings they have the same type of programming other than when they are airing live games.

It was an exclusive channel operated by Directv, like their NFL RedZone Channel. Now the NFL runs their own RedZone channel but Directv has kept their own for NFLST.

I do not see this coming back since MLB Network has very similar programming.

ty jason :)

I wonder if this is because they do not have EI so they are offering this as a replacement to EI instead of a replacement for MLBNet.

Why will it be active on the two days where the least amount of games are played?
because it is Dish

it would be cool to have this channel in addition to MLB Network though

Scott made an error in this thread. When he posted in the Dish thread he said Tuesdays and Fridays. Every team plays every Friday for the most part after opening week.

Scott made an error in this thread. When he posted in the Dish thread he said Tuesdays and Fridays. Every team plays every Friday for the most part after opening week.
I did not make a mistake, that is what was sent to me by contacts at DISH.

Maybe Dish sent Scott that info...
This is what he posted in the Dish forum prior to that post
Launch of MLB Network Strike Zone on Ch. 153

Effective Wednesday, April 4, 2012, by 5 p.m. ET, DISH will launch MLB Network Strike Zone, a new service from MLB Network, in both SD and HD. It will be offered as a part of the MultiSport package, Also available to subscribers as an add-on package with a qualifying programming package.

(No mention of what are the qualifying packages are yet)

Starting April 10, the service will broadcast in a live, whip-around fashion on Tuesdays and Fridays during the MLB regular season, beginning at 7 p.m. ET,

Note: On Sat, Sun, Mon, Wed and Thu this channel will display a slate.
This is were the confusion lies.

All in all it is not that big of a deal. Someone simply made a mistake.

I just cut and pasted what I was sent (but I did at the No mention of what are the qualifying packages are yet part)

I just cut and pasted what I was sent (but I did at the No mention of what are the qualifying packages are yet part)
The confusion isn't over the which package it will be on, it is over which days. Is it Tuesday's and Thursday's or Tuesday's and Friday's? Just seeking clarity, that is all.

Launch of MLB Network Strike Zone on Ch. 153

Effective Wednesday, April 4, 2012, by 5 p.m. ET, DISH will launch MLB Network Strike Zone, a new service from MLB Network, in both SD and HD. It will be offered as a part of the MultiSport package, Also available to subscribers as an add-on package with a qualifying programming package.

(No mention of what are the qualifying packages are yet)

Starting April 10, the service will broadcast in a live, whip-around fashion on Tuesdays and Fridays during the MLB regular season, beginning at 7 p.m. ET,

Note: On Sat, Sun, Mon, Wed and Thu this channel will display a slate.

I did not make a mistake, that is what was sent to me by contacts at DISH.

I'm not trying to call you out here. I appreciate getting the news on this website before it is available to everyone else. What I meant was in the thread about this on the Dish forum you said it was available on Tuesdays and Fridays. In this thread on the Directv forum you said Tuesdays and Thursdays. One of the two posts was a mistake.

I didn't make my earlier post saying you made a mistake to call attention to that. Dodger said why would they make it available on the 2 days with the least amount of games and then someone else responded with "because it's Dish". I was just clarifying to that person and anyone else interested that it is available on Fridays which are a good day for baseball games. Another point I could have made is that this channel is being run by MLBN not Dish so any problems we may have with the days it's available are on them.

Great that MLB is at least working on bringing this concept channel back, Strike Zone, game to game like Red Zone.

To do it right, they should work it much harder than twice a week. It should be 5-7 days a week. At a min it should be Sunday afternoon, Tue/Wed nights and Fri/Sat nights (or Sat afternoon when FOX has the prime time exclusive games a few Saturdays).

This could be a real winner of a channel done right. Let the provider decide where to put it, whether it is on sports packages, high tiers, or as part of MLBEI. The fan that wants a channel like this will pay for it, if it is done right.

I've sub to MLB.TV instead of EI for the last couple of years now because it is a lot less expensive, has more viewing options, is on all year including the off-season, post-season, and Spring Training, has archived and classic games that can be watched anytime, I can watch it at work (my Slingbox cannot be accessed at worked so EI channels are a no show), and MLB.TV has more games (post season and choices between which Saturday game I want to watch*). I do give up a slight PQ advantage with EI as well as the convenience of having it on the same device as my other TV programming. But if SZ channel were to be added to EI and it was on at least 5 days a week that alone maybe enough for me to give up MLB.TV for EI.

(*NOTE: Use location spoofer to choose with Saturday game, but can access all Saturday games once the game is no longer live)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)