MLB.tv on Roku

lefatman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
Selbyville DE
Dropped Directv and purchased a Roku (2 in fact) so I could watch MLB.tv. If the first couple of days are any example, made a bad decision. Horrible freezing and pixelation on the only 2 games I was really interested in last night I even reset my Roku to no avail. Any suggestions short of making the dreaded call to DTV ?

Who is your internet provider and what is your internet speed, which game/feed? I would log on to MLB and send them a message with information about what time/game that you were watching, including your internet information. That being said, I didn't have any issues last year (TWC - Standard 15Mps), however the first game I watched was Tuesday night (Houston Astros vs NY Yanks). The Houston (home) feed was pixelating and freezing, however the YES feed was fine. I later went back to the Houston feed for a few minutes and it appeared to be cleared up.

In the past, when they tried different streaming techniques or fine-tuning the technique, we had some issues in the beginning of the season.

Internet speed is fine and Comcast is my provider with a Gateway. Houston-NYY and Pittsburgh - Cub games were 2 in question. Both were horrible on both feeds.

I had the same problem on opening day with the pixalization and constant re-buffering. I have 45megs down and 6megs up, so I knew it wasn't a speed issue so I called MLB.TV. The support person I was talking to taught me how to debug my Roku which did help, here are the steps to debug your Roku. On the Roku remote in rapid succession press the Home button in the top right corner of the remote 5 times, then hit the rewind button 3 times, the hit the fast forward button 2 times. A screen will appear that shows at what speed it's connecting to the internet, the automatic box should be checked, next school down to the bottom of the screen where it says debug and check that box. It will take a minute or so to complete this task and it will go back to the MLB channel, close the game your watching then open it back up and choose which feed you want to watch and click on live to begin watching the game. Hopefully this will help improve the issues you were having, if not you might need to contact your internet provider and have them troubleshoot your issues for you.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

There do seem to be more quality dips right now than normal. I remember this happening for the first few days of the season last year too. My guess is that they get slammed the first few days of the season and then the demand starts to die down.

I think some of it is device dependent too. My Apple TV, which was great for MLB.tv in past years seems to be having more quality dips than any of my other devices. The Roku has had some but not as many as the Apple TV. My PS4 has been rock solid causing me to rely on that more than my normal go to device, the Apple TV. I'm wondering if they have different streams for different devices. The fact that fewer people own a PS4 than an Apple TV or Roku might be the reason it's quality isn't dipping. The PS4 might be accessing a different server that isn't getting slammed as hard.

I know it sucks to experience quality issues when you just paid for a new service. If you can wait it out a week I really think you will see the quality issues start to disappear. I have subscribed to MLB.tv for 4 or 5 years now and it has always been a stellar product outside of a few issues at the start of every season.

Especially with Roku speed is not the only determining factor. Lost packets are. It's why it has a debugging feature to help minimize connection problems not just speed issues. I like the Roku for all the channels it has and being able to add unofficial ones, but now having a WD live player I can see it plays back a little more smoothly sometimes.

Many providers have decent speed, but the quality is not there. There's plenty of information on this, and how to check your connection.

http://addgadgets.com/speedtest/ is a good one to try.

I don't have MLB but my friend does, on his Roku it did play very well.

It looks like MLBAM did some work on their infrastructure last night. I'm watching on my Apple TV and the quality is back to the levels I have come to expect from previous years. I have watched good chunks of a couple different games tonight without a single quality dip.

I'm getting a good signal tonight on the NYY - TOR game. Last few nights were freezing for a few seconds and coming back. No issues whatsoever tonight.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I also watched that game with no glitches. Tried to watch both feeds of LA-SF earlier and had same old problem. It was unwatchable. Following a thread on MLB.tv and it appears that it is a wide spread problem on all devices. There are a lot of irate people.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)