MOCA with DISH

iamhives

Original poster
Sep 3, 2012
NoVA
First post - not even a DISH customer yet - moving from a house with FIOS to one where that is not an option (although its only 1/2 mile away) and trying to plan my install. New house currently has DISH and uses COX for internet. Thinking of a 2H/2J setup.

My problem is the house does not have ethernet wiring everywhere I need it, only coax. I will use wireless but will want wired internet in a few key locations. I'm considering using MOCA Ethernet Adapters (e.g. Actiontech ECB2500CK01 kit) so I don't have to do too much rewiring.

I know Dish offers the HIC (Hopper Internet Connector) which i believe is MOCA. So a couple of questions

1) Can the Actiontech MOCA Ethernet Adapters interface with the DISH HIC (i.e. is the HIC adhering to MOCA standards)?
2) I guess this is related to the answer to number 1 but can I use multiple HIC's vs buying the ECB2500C's - I believe the HIC's are $25 so seems more economical. What is the performance of the HIC's - will it support the need for internet connection for a home office with typical web browsing, downloads, media streaming etc?
3) Anyone done this - what are the experiences?

Thanks

I don't know if other MOCA adapters are compatible with an HIC or not but here is how I am set up. I have one HIC connected to the router. A second HIC in the bedroom where I am pulling off ethernet for a BluRay player. I have a third HIC about 100 feet away in my shop where I am pulling off ethernet for a PC.
I have had no issues with speed or connectivity.

Question on your set up. Do you have joeys and hoppers installed or are you just using the Hopper internet connector as MOCA adapters for dish cabling? What internet speeds are you obtaining from your HIC connector set up.

I've got a 2nd HIC running ethernet to a switch in my entertainment cabinet powering a blu ray, the tv, and a surround receiver. I'm able to stream 1080p without issue. My Hopper is connected via the primary HIC. Joey's are connected with direct ethernet off the primary switch in the basement. Just ran a speedtest off the 2nd HIC with my laptop hard connected and I'm getting about 12 down, which is the speed I pay for.

That's called bridging and it's been around for about 6 months.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

iamhives
Once the HIC is connected to your modem or router, you will be connected to the internet thru the coax cable. I know you can connect a cat 5 cable to the back of your Hopper and have wired internet at that location. Havn't tried this with the Joeys. My home is wired with CAT5 E and this system freed up 4 ethernet outlets in my home. (2Hoppers, 2 Joeys)

Nothing new. Been discussed for at least 6-7 months.

Sent from my iPad 2 using SatelliteGuys

I believe the reason they haven't advertised the wireless option is because of the 10/100 switch in the Hopper not being able to handle more than 6 total devices without crashing. So hopefully the switch will be upgraded eventually if it hasn't already been. I don't recall the switch specs on the new hopper.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts