Model 211 or 222, using USB HD for DVR?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

dntc0x

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 30, 2009
Hello,
I've read that you can add your own USB hard drive to a model 211k or 222k receiver, and pay a $40 activation fee, and that turns that receiver into a DVR.

Questions:

1. Is the DVR functionality like the 'dedicated' dvr's? For instance, the Dish DVR's don't have to be turned off in order to begin a scheduled recording. I've got a DVD recorder that has to be turned off before scheduled recording can work, and that's a pain. If the 211k has to be turned off before it can start a scheduled recording, then I wouldn't want it. *What's the difference in a 222k, just the duo receiver?

2. If you set up a 211k as the dvr with your own hard drive, and activate it ($40 fee), I've read that there is no monthly DVR fee for as long as you keep that active. Is that true? If a 211k records from the guide, doesn't need to be turned off for scheduled recording, and doesn't have a monthly dvr fee for as long as you keep it, then that's a real deal in my book!

If any of you can answer or give me a link that gives definitive answers, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

The DVR function and interface of the EHD on a 211 works just like the 622/722, but with one tuner unless you have OA you have to watch what you are recording. The 222 does not yet support EHD - how could they get people to pay for and use one of their DVRs if it could?

OK, but what about the one-time $40 activation, but no monthly dvr fee? If that's true, then I still think it's worth serious consideration in my case. Thanks!

Hello,
I've read that you can add your own USB hard drive to a model 211k or 222k receiver, and pay a $40 activation fee, and that turns that receiver into a DVR.

Questions:

1. Is the DVR functionality like the 'dedicated' dvr's? For instance, the Dish DVR's don't have to be turned off in order to begin a scheduled recording. I've got a DVD recorder that has to be turned off before scheduled recording can work, and that's a pain. If the 211k has to be turned off before it can start a scheduled recording, then I wouldn't want it. *What's the difference in a 222k, just the duo receiver?

2. If you set up a 211k as the dvr with your own hard drive, and activate it ($40 fee), I've read that there is no monthly DVR fee for as long as you keep that active. Is that true? If a 211k records from the guide, doesn't need to be turned off for scheduled recording, and doesn't have a monthly dvr fee for as long as you keep it, then that's a real deal in my book!

If any of you can answer or give me a link that gives definitive answers, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

I would add, I don't think the ViP222 will EVER have EHD capability. Someone posted here before that early motherboards could not support EHD, so that means none of the ViP222 series would have that feature offered. FWIW, not gospel.

1. No, pretty much the same.

2. True.

Keep in mind, EHDs on one account can be swapped between ViP622 & ViP722 units, but not with the ViP211 series. Different animals.

Hello,

Questions:

Thanks!
No you don't need to turn off the VIP211K to record any thing in fact the VIP can be turned off and it will record the program at the time you selected even though it is not on. Now of course this will not work if you unplug it.

See concurrent thread here: http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-technical-discussions/215829-211-cant-dvr.html

Also, be advised that not all USB drives will be compatible with the 211. I had a tough time trying to get some inexpensive EHD adapters to work and finally bit the bullet and bought a 1 Terrabyte WD MyBook. Be careful, some newer HDisk models have backup software built into firmware that cannot be turned off, and others are reporting problems getting them to work properly. In addition, don't exceed the size limitation (for fear of getting it wrong I'll defer to others to let you know what it currently is).

I found out the hard way the $40 EHD fee is for the 211 only, you have to pay again if you want EHD on 622/722 models, and the recordings are in incompatible formats so you can't record on the 211 and play it back on a 622/722.

Many drives will work and some don't, The USB2.0 500Gig Western Digital drive sold at Walmart is a easy plug and play option $69.95

Just connect the included external power supply to the drive first and plug in the USB cable into the 211 or 211k, It will detect the EHD and offer to format the drive,after the format it will provide the 1-888 activation phone number,It's all automated once you enter the receiver ID number $40 will be added to your bill as the one time EHD activation fee.

The drive has a power light on the face and pressing the receivers power button for 10 seconds will reset everything if detection fails the first time.

Last edited:
Thank you for the step by step instructions -- very informative!

Many drives will work and some don't, The USB2.0 500Gig Western Digital drive sold at Walmart is a easy plug and play option $69.95

Just connect the included external power supply to the drive first and plug in the USB cable into the 211 or 211k, It will detect the EHD and offer to format the drive,after the format it will provide the 1-888 activation phone number,It's all automated once you enter the receiver ID number $40 will be added to your bill as the one time EHD activation fee.

The drive has a power light on the face and pressing the receivers power button for 10 seconds will reset everything if detection fails the first time.

I found out the hard way the $40 EHD fee is for the 211 only, you have to pay again if you want EHD on 622/722 models, and the recordings are in incompatible formats so you can't record on the 211 and play it back on a 622/722.

The formats are still incompatible (and probably always will be), but the EHD activation on a 622/722 is now free IIRC.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts