Model 920 Busted

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

eytukan

Original poster
Aug 23, 2010
Texas
I am not real knowledgeable on 4DTV programming so bear with me. The battery is dead, so I lost programming when power went out a long time back. Trying to set the limits it went past west limit and extended beyond the rubber grommet. Pushed it back up and anchored it and then tried to find G1 3 which is what SkyVision said to look for. But I could not find any signals anywhere across the entire west to east arc.

What is not working? The LNB is what one post suggested. Not sure whether to put the money into fixing it or just biting the bullet and getting Direct TV which is what I would need for The Sunday Ticket. Then do I toss my dish and receiver or try to sell it? I heard 4DTV was in demand a while back but now I hear something about Motorola encryption service ceasing at the end of the year.

I'm confused? What should I do? And recommendations from anyone?

I believe if the battery goes out, you have a dish mover and maybe that's all, somebody else who has one will have to give you more detals. I know if the battery that holds the Unit ID information goes, then its shot for subscription programming. Whether it would work for analog satellite signals, and / or moving the dish around, not too sure. If it works for a dish mover only, you could hook it up with a free to air receiver, but sorry you won't get any Sunday tickets with that.

Once your UID is corrupted, it will never receive digital channels again. You can't get it fixed to receive digital channels either. The repair would require replacing the main PCB with a new one that has a valid UID. But there are none of those left for the 920 (hasn't been for years). In fact, last I heard, the new PCB inventory was getting low for the 922 also... and that info is 2 or 3 years old. So they may be gone by now for the 922 as well.

You can still use the 920 to move the dish & receive analog signals. But you will still need to replace the battery. Doing so won't restore your UID, but if you don't, you'll lose all your satellites that you've setup anytime the receiver loses power.

Your reciever will still DL the current maps (until the end of the year, lol), even with a corrupt UID. If you want to use it for an FTA positioner, I'd suggest replacing the battery... doing a master reset... DL the current maps @ G1-3... put 'er on a UPS... and be careful what signal you let it lock onto after December 31st.

It might just be easier to get a 1.2 positioner & get a C/Ku LNBF. Then you could piggy-back the analog receiver to the dvb receiver & still have access to whatever analog feeds there are. But none of this will get you NFL Sunday Ticket, lol.

If you're not into FTA, then you won't need the dish anymore. Probably won't have much luck selling it though, because there's so many folks out there giving them away to anyone who'll just haul them off. In fact, if you're in central Okla... ;)

Cheers

If you still want a DSR-920 try ebay but ask the seller if receiver still has a ID# before buying. I have 2 920's and have changed batteries in both.
A note Motorola was contacted and it appears the maps we have will remain in 2011 just not updated. EPG will probably be gone. :confused:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)