modification possible?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

english2fourth

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 5, 2008
city of the angels cali
i have a thousand plus, and a 30 inch ku that I pull 97. I wonder if i can add a magic bar and just use the 30 inch dish with lnbs added to it. looks like some folks have magnificent mods, but i wonder if this is doable. 129 to 97 is a big gap, but maybe not insurmountable?

i have a thousand plus, and a 30 inch ku that I pull 97. I wonder if i can add a magic bar and just use the 30 inch dish with lnbs added to it. looks like some folks have magnificent mods, but i wonder if this is doable. 129 to 97 is a big gap, but maybe not insurmountable?

Too big of a spread, even if you went 16 degrees on either side of centre. Optimum range is 6 to 8 degrees either side of centre, and even then some satellites (we are only talking linear here, not circular, which can have a much greater range) are not strong enough for anything over 6 degrees (if that, sometimes). Some, you will find, are very strong (for me, for example, AMC6 (72) or AMC4 (101)) and can be farther off centre.

Also, the type of satellite makes a difference. For example, any satellite with numerous 24/7 channels, such as G18 (123) and G19 (97) you really don't want too far off centre, as some of the transponders can be weak or marginal to begin with. A satellite which is mainly a feeds satellite can be farther off centre, as usually the feeds are fairly strong, and plus, if you don't get some of them, you'll probably never realise it (unless it is that big game, or big news event that you are sure is there)!

I used to have a 30" dish pointed at 123W ku band for equity channels.
on the same dish I had an old echostar lnbf zip tied to the linear ku to get the music channels back when they were not encrypted from 119w.

I had another lnbf (linear) strapped on that would get 127 ku (weak) .
It will work to a point but you start really losing signal off the sides of the dish.

toroidal wave frontier?

should i get the toroidal wave frontier? the reverse polarity scares me, but I like the idea of muti birds that are ku. i did small mod of dish last night, and was able to pull brasil sat, but hard to stabilize image with excellent quality...so maybe i should buy a thirty six inch ku, and get a magic bracket to set up five KU lnbs...any thoughts>:hungry:

should i get the toroidal wave frontier? the reverse polarity scares me, but I like the idea of muti birds that are ku.
The Reverse Polarity is only for the "Circular" Sats, not FTA Linear Sats.

so maybe i should buy a thirty six inch ku, and get a magic bracket to set up five KU lnbs...any thoughts
What about a 36" with a Motor?

motor takes time

how long does the motor take? is it slow? also, is the install a challenge? looks like a good one would be best but....thank you for the help. i guess i should investigate motor, because the toroidal and the magic bracket have drawbacks...with a motor, i am good to go. still, i would like to have only one dish, maybe i could put a circular polarity on the motorized right next to the ku lnb, and get both?

how long does the motor take? is it slow? also, is the install a challenge?
An SG2100 is about 2deg per second. The first motor setup is always a challenge, but if you already know how to setup your receiver / dish, you are ahead of the curve.

put a circular polarity on the motorized right next to the ku lnb, and get both?
If you really need both, the InvaCom QPH-031 LNBF has both Circular and Linear, use a DiSEqC switch to go between

leaning to the motorized

i am leaning to the motorized, but now i need to figure what size. i live in la, and have a deck that has full pointing availability with no obstructions. i am leaning to the FORTEC STAR 90cm KU Band Offset Dish Antenna.
Model FC090CM but could go smaller. i can buy a 33 in la, and avoid shipping, but the quality could lack. i thought to go with the smallest combo c and ku combo that i could buy, but from what i have read, getting the c will be a chore unless i go pretty large. anybody have any thoughts about this?

Whether you go Ku or C Band, more surface area = more signal.
36" or better for Ku will make you happier in the long run.

C Band rocks, but you need the space. 6' is a kinda recognized minimun. A lot of guys are experimenting with smaller dishes for C Band, not really beginner projects.

As far as a motorized Ku setup goes, the world is full of compromises. It works great, but does take some time going from east to west. To some, ( but not me!) a motorized dish has a lot more eye appeal than 10 or 12 dishes of all sizes.

Most folks suggest a fixed dish aimed at 123 or 97 to start, then motorize it as you become comfortable with the technology and want to delve deeper into the hobby.

cryptic cracklin crotch

not really sure what that meant, but i want to know how i can try the cracklin crotch method to buy a good sized dish, and then draw in some c's with the hand made device. i would like to know of a dish that you can recommend and the size that will work. i live in los angeles, and my upper deck where i put the dishes gives me the chance to point at just about anything to the horizon. i am getting a dish for xmas, so the wife needs to know what kind to buy...i guess i could go six foot, but she might chafe if i go larger. as always, any and all comments are welcome!

English, just kidding

A 6 foot solid dish would be excellent, but will look like a sail in high winds, might be hard on the structure of your upper deck. If you get a 6' mesh dish , it will catch less wind, and would get C Band too. Kinda spendy, I hope the wife REALLY loves you.

A round 36" with a motor will do you just fine for a Ku system, check out Sadoun

You're walking down the street. Nobody's around. All's quiet. Then, as you're walking by the dish, the dish follows you. *cue Twilight Zone theme*

Saw the ship's Radar Tech pull off a prank like that
I was stationed in Little Creek, Va 30 years ago ...
It was just getting dark.......
his accomplice was on the pier pushing a cart full of flourescent tubes....
talking to himself...loudly

When someone would come near him, the tech would key the radar, the bulbs would all light up, and scare the pants off the passerby.

pro's and con's of 1.8 vs 1.2

Okay, now i am near the edge. i see the motorized advantages of the ku band, and since most of the c is encrypted except for feeds and the like, i think i might go with the 1.2. what does the c give me? i looked over the list, and so much is encrypted. it would be fun, but i think that the ku looks cool because it is on that fast motor. any thoughts from the board pros? i appreciate all the help you guys have given me. i locked down a bud, but i don't know how to transport it...i am worried if i dismantle it i will never get it back together! thanks!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)