Modify 1000.4 Western Arc To Eastern Arc ?

chapin4life

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 9, 2006
Hi Guys,

Since my neighbors tree is blocking my satellite view to 119w & 129w

I have to swap to Eastern Arc, can I just buy a new lnb or do I have to change the lnb arm aswell

with foil trick and the middle LNB I was able to get the following signal strength

Satellite 61.5W Signal strength

Tp3 65%

Satellite 72W Signal strenght

Tp22 52%

Satellite 77W Signal strenght

Tp25 34% ( low signal)

I'm concerned 77W will get lower once I have all 3 satellites setup

Last edited:
77W is not typically used for the average Eastern Arc sub, are you sure you need it? I'm located in Mid-Michigan, and I'm only aimed at 61.5 and 72.7 and get every channel I need. There's nothing on 77w for channels in my DMA.

Oh, and I think you can in fact just buy the Eastern Arc lnb head to install in place on your Western Arc version.

110/119 are only 9 degrees apart whereas 61.5/72.7 are 11.2 degrees apart. While that's only 2.2 degrees of difference, taking into account that the satellites are 22,000 miles above sea level, that's actually a big deal. 72.7 and 77 are only 4.3 degrees apart whereas 119/129 are 10 degrees apart.

With skill and patience, you can pick up 61.5 and 72.7 using the 119/129 LNBs. What you'd need to do is cover up all but the 119 LNB and get it pointed at 72.7. Try to peak it. You can use the AZ/EL/SK for the standard 1000.4 EA dish. Then, you take the foil and cover up all but the 129 LNB. Rotate the dish 10 degrees east and just keep raising the elevation until you pick up 72.7 on the 129 LNB (I tell you about how much to raise the elevation if I knew where you lived, but try 5-6 degrees for starters.) Peak on 72.7, remove the foil and 61.5 should fall into place. 61.5 will be weaker than it should, but you can make very small adjustments to the east, raise elevation just a little bit, and rotate the skew in tiny amounts counterclockwise from behind the dish to balance the signal on both sats. If your mast isn't plumb, it will be hell. With the mast plum, it will still be a pain, but doable.

77 is not really needed unless your locals are on there or you subscribe to Spanish packages.

Easiest option is to simply get the 1000.4 EA LNB and swap it out, but you can attempt to aim it with the WA LNB until you get the new one.

Reactions: chapin4life
While Detroit is now on both arcs, it will be on Eastern Arc only soon. It is a good thing that you want to move that way. The locals are on 61.5....

While Detroit is now on both arcs, it will be on Eastern Arc only soon. It is a good thing that you want to move that way. The locals are on 61.5....

I wouldn't say soon... More like some day. All new installs will be EA installs, in preparation for the transition. There are still TONS of people that will need to be upgraded to MPEG4 receivers and/or a repoint before they can shut off the WA feeds. Considering how long it has taken them to move folks to 8PSK receivers, I'd say it's a safe bet to say that the WA feeds will still be there for quite some time.

Reactions: TheKrell
Dish is not going to shut down Western Arc, the whole point of having two arcs is to get more customers. It gives a customer that can't get service because of Line of Sight issues, an option to point their dish in another direction for service intend of going to DTV or cable or just go without.

Dish is not going to shut down Western Arc, the whole point of having two arcs is to get more customers. It gives a customer that can't get service because of Line of Sight issues, an option to point their dish in another direction for service intend of going to DTV or cable or just go without.

We're not talking about the entire Western Arc, just the locals.

I have a 1000.2 DPP western arc setup. The other day I changed the LNBs to the EA setup with the compatible twin LNB 61.5 and 72. I unplugged input from receiver (722k) and then ran a check switch. I cleared the old WA sats, 110,119,129. So then I plugged input back into 722k. With my new EA LNBs, I ran check switch and I only got 110 and 119. Why won't my eastern arcs show up?? Very frustrating!

I have a 1000.2 DPP western arc setup. The other day I changed the LNBs to the EA setup with the compatible twin LNB 61.5 and 72. I unplugged input from receiver (722k) and then ran a check switch. I cleared the old WA sats, 110,119,129. So then I plugged input back into 722k. With my new EA LNBs, I ran check switch and I only got 110 and 119. Why won't my eastern arcs show up?? Very frustrating!

Well, did you ALSO turn the dish around so it's now actually pointed AT the Eastern Arc sats?

The lnb's aren't magic you know. They can only show signal from the satellites they are pointed at! If you didn't re-point the dish, it's still going to show the Western Arc sats, or try to anyway.

Reactions: TheKrell

Dumb question... But, did you actually repoint the dish?

Reactions: JSheridan
No I didn't repoint my dish yet only because the signal on the point dish screen was around 54 it just shows red and says wrong sat. And it's still locked on western birds.

No I didn't repoint my dish yet only because the signal on the point dish screen was around 54 it just shows red and says wrong sat. And it's still locked on western birds.

You need to repoint the dish to the Eastern sats. Until you do, of course it's going to be locked on and tell you "wrong sat", because it is pointed at the wrong sats.

The lnb doesn't know what sat it's pointed at, so even the wrong sat will give you a signal.

If you had the old lnb that picks up 61/72/77 and used it on a receiver that was connected to the latest dish only picking up 61/72 do you have to do a switch test? The reason I ask is if someone goes camping and has one dish on his house and takes a different dish with him will it work without having to go through the hassle of doing a check switch each time?

Also, if someone has the latest lnb that only works with 61/72 can he simply swap it out with the original one that worked with 61/72/77 without a repoint?