Mom got Voom today...problems

thadaveman

Original poster
Jun 15, 2004
My mom got her Voom system installed today. So far she hasn't been able to watch it because of pixelation and freezing. The installer told her that it would quit doing it in about an hour, well an hour went by and it was still doing it with some channels getting the no signal message. I checked her signal strength when I came home at lunch time and it was around 80. She called Voom a little later and they told her it should correct itself within a few days. Well, it came a rain shower this evening (not a heavy rain) and the signal went down to 20-30 and lost everything. After the rain the signal is around 70-75 now and channels are still going in and out.I checked the software version and it shows to have the 568 which I understand to be the most current? Seems to me with the symptoms its having that the dish is not tuned properly. What is normal signal strength range for the Voom? The installer told her that 80 signal strength is good for the Voom.

Seems to me with the symptoms its having that the dish is not tuned properly.
Unfortunately, your suspicions are correct. The installer did not adequately peak the dish.

A well peaked dish will deliver a signal of 92-94 on a clear day. The installer should have kept working with the dish until he got a signal in the high 80s (at least).

Thanks for the replies. Will a regular signal meter for digital systems work on the Voom system? I installed everything from c-band to digital for 12 yrs but changed occupations and have been out for about 3 yrs now (so I'm kinda behind on latest technology, ashamed to say) If it will work I'll just repeak the dish for her and hopefully solve it's issues.

thadaveman said:
Thanks for the replies. Will a regular signal meter for digital systems work on the Voom system? I installed everything from c-band to digital for 12 yrs but changed occupations and have been out for about 3 yrs now (so I'm kinda behind on latest technology, ashamed to say) If it will work I'll just repeak the dish for her and hopefully solve it's issues.

You can use it but it will be best to use the signal meter in the system settings in the Voom receiver.

I repeaked the dish today, got the signal up to 95 with cloud cover. No more channels freezing up or pixelating so far. After reading some of the other posts here, seems that Voom needs to be QC'ing more of their installs. I also found today that the installer did not even ground the coax and drilled through two walls to keep from going about five feet under the house. She also did not get an OTA antenna. I told her she needs to call and demand that they install the antenna. Maybe many of Vooms problems could be solved by contracting some competent installers.

thadaveman said:
I repeaked the dish today, got the signal up to 95 with cloud cover. No more channels freezing up or pixelating so far. After reading some of the other posts here, seems that Voom needs to be QC'ing more of their installs. I also found today that the installer did not even ground the coax and drilled through two walls to keep from going about five feet under the house. She also did not get an OTA antenna. I told her she needs to call and demand that they install the antenna. Maybe many of Vooms problems could be solved by contracting some competent installers.

I agree completely with you. Please send an email to "Wilt Hildenbrand" wilth@optonline.net about your mom's installation and the fact that she is still missing her OTA antenna. Wilt is the VP of Engineering and will escalate the matter.

How awful! She didnt get an install, she got a non-install. You shouldnt have to align the dish yourself, thats part of the promo from voom. I'd call the installer and make them get their butt out there to do it right.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts