Monday November 13th, Tech Chat Recap

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

dfergie

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
SatelliteGuys.US Tech Chat Recap
November 13th, 2006 Technical Forum
Hosts: Mark Jackson and Dan Minnick

Topics and Guests
Distants
Charlie Ergen CEO Echostar

Sling Media CEO Blake Krikorian

Technical with Mark and Dan
Latest product giveaways
Trivia Giveaways
Q & A

Call 1-888-621-2078 or e-mail techforum@dishnetwork.com
Only Technical Questions Please!

Charlie addresses the Distant networks
*There are 900,000 of you who get these.
*Distant Network channels are network channels (ABC, NBC, CBS and Fox) that originate from locations outside a consumer's hometown.
* We are in the process of taking them down before December 1st
*If the the court ruling goes into effect we will no longer be able to provide these distant networks.

Who is not affected
*171 Markets, over 96% of population.

Who is affected
*51 Unserved markets, where we don't do locals today.

Timeline of events
*Nov 1988- Echostar asks Court to confirm interpretation of law is accurate.
*April. 2003- Court finds Echostar's current practices meet requiremnts.. no shut-offs required.
*Oct. 20 2006- Court says stature leaves no choice but to shut off distant networks.
*Nov.13-16, 2006- Congress must hear from you.
*Dec. 1, 2006 Court requires all shut-offs must be completed.

Offer for Affected Customers
* In all local - into - local markets, consumers are offered local networks free of charge through December 31, 2006.
* Free satellite DISH upgrade where technically feasible.
* Free over-the-air antenna where technically feasible.

How You Can Help
*202-224-3121 or 1-888-267-1127

* www.SaveMyChannels.com
It's very important you let your Congressmen Know that your distant networks are important to you and that you do not want to lose them.

Short Video on this subject.
Charlie apologizes for losing this court case.

Questions for Charlie Ergen

Question - Bob: As an Rv'er and Nascar fan we use distant locals on the road, have you thought about getting Nascar and Rv'ers involved in this.
A: This will affect you as (with rv waiver), as of December 1st we will no longer be able to sell you that signal unless congress acts. (we dont have enough time to rally Nascar and Rv'ers)

E-Mail Question from Sylvia: My house is north of Reno near the California border, can I keep my LA Channels.?
A: If the Reno signal(Spotbeam) doesnt get to you , we would have to shut down your LA stations.

E-Mail Question from Matt: I live in Albany Georgia and only have 2 channels, will I lose my Atlanta Channels?
A: Albany does not have a CBS or ABC channel assigned to it, the court ruling will not allow us to give you the Atlanta CBS and ABC.

Video on how to use SaveMyChannels.com website.

New Dish Features
*Side by side Pip Mode 622 if you are in single mode and hit the pip button you can enlarge pip 3rd press will have side by side pip . With this new feature when you close pip window you will start your progam where you left off.
You can view 2 HD channels side by side with this feature.

* Now in your guide in the top left corner by the channel number we have marked HD to help you distingish HD programming from SD in the guide.

*New Timer uses original air date for its information.

Slingbox Video
*Guest: Blake Krikorian Co-founder and CEO of Slingbox
*Blake tells how the idea for Slingbox came about.

*How the Slingbox works: Take your receiver and hook the audio /video outs to the describes, hook up a ethernet cable and you can stream this video over IP to your laptop, desktop or even phone.
*Leslie Harper demonstrates a 622 hooked to a Slingbox pro box.

*Blake demonstrates how to get your laptop hooked to your Slingbox.

Technical Questions
Question from Brian: I have the 622 and myself and the guys at SatelliteGuys.Us were wondering when you were going to enable the external 622 HDD storage.
A: Its coming out very soon possibly in the first quarter.

E-mail Question:-Tony : I have a 625 and have the timers set up to record all new episodes of several programs rather than using the DISHpass, and with shows switching times /days or being put on hold. Do I need to change the timers to DISHPass.
A: You do not have to do a thing, it( the 625) will automatically pick them up.
E-mail Question - Bryan: I have a 508 and it began running nonstop June 8th, what is the deal?
A: Basically what happened is that the software programmning takes awhile to fill up your HDD and that is what you are seeing.
E-mail Question - Tammy: Whats up with the Dish network format on the screen everytime the TV is turned on?
A: I think what you are seeing is Standby mode. You can shut it off in the Menu.

E-mail Question - Kwi : I would like to know if E* is working on new technology to avoid losing signal when it rains hard.
A: You will see some fade, we do have some larger dishes for specific areas. Call us and one of our CSR's will walk you through these issues and if needed send a tech out to check alignment.

E-mail Question - Cory: When is NBR coming out on the 5xx series?
A: Due to higher priority projects, maybe after the first of the year. (in beta testing)

E-mail Question - Gary: Will the Wildblue service be integrated with a Dish net dish .
A: No not yet.

Charlie Chat
Monday December 11, 2006
9:00PM EST
Channel 101

Special note: there are links to audio underlined and in bold in certain spots in this recap.

Sound Bites...

Attachments

• Tech chat - Charlie and Distants 1.mp3
    1.3 MB · Views: 264
  • Tech chat - Charlie and Distants 2.mp3
    944 KB · Views: 223
  • Tech chat - Charlie and Distants 3.mp3
    574 KB · Views: 191
  • Tech chat - What you can do.mp3
    602 KB · Views: 174
  • Tech chat - What you can do2.mp3
    798 KB · Views: 191
  • Tech chat - Question.mp3
    1 MB · Views: 194
  • Tech chat - Charlie apologizes.mp3
    376 KB · Views: 364
  • Tech chat - 622 pip.mp3
    1.1 MB · Views: 257
  • Tech chat - HD guide change.mp3
    458 KB · Views: 217
  • Tech chat - timers.mp3
    964 KB · Views: 306
  • Tech chat nov - external hdd question.mp3
    534 KB · Views: 258
  • Tech chat nov - .mp3
    448 KB · Views: 159
  • Tech chat nov - 508 question.mp3
    770 KB · Views: 148
  • Tech chat nov - dish fade question.mp3
    446 KB · Views: 205
  • Tech chat nov - NBR on 5xx.mp3
    520 KB · Views: 307
On the USB storage for 622, here's the exact quote: "it's coming out very soon, we're just trying to get the rest of the company all figured out how to sell it, but technically it's working like a champ, we really like it a lot and we're hoping to be able to start offering that to consumers in the first quarter."

I only hope that was a slip of words there but I fear the operative word there is "sell" meaning either we have to buy a dish branded drive or pay a fee for using the feature.

They said something about having to train the CSRs on the USB storage thing too.

So this is at least THREE pieces of bad news about USB Storage.

1) It is delayed for probably a few more months.

2) They have to train CSRs

3) They are apparently going to SELL the feature. As in Dish-branded drives and/or monthly fees.

First of all when Dish says 1st quarter they mean the 3rd quarter.

Secondly, they have not yet in the 10 years or so they have existed been able to train their csr's.

Finally, if they charge a fee or make you buy special drives from them, it is pathetic and will defiantly piss of a lot of people.

My 1st and 2nd opinion are based on my personal experiences and also from reading posts on this forum and the other XXXtalk forum.

what are the yellow areas in that unserved map

hehe south park

oh and that HD icon looks like a joke, it just marks the channel, I think most already know what channels are HD, heck they lready have an HD guide. I think what people want is proper HD marks on shows

Great Recap!

Another exciting night for SatelliteGuys members, not only did HomeTheater Man win a Dish Network 211 receiver in our chat, but Mike1974 won a Slingbox Pro on the Tech Chat! Plus we can forget the great on air mention of SatelliteGuys from Dodge. :D

Tommorow at Noon there will be a retailer chat. I am expecting a few announcements from that chat, so make sure to check in here at SatelliteGuys tommorow. :)

BFG said:
Educated guess...

Those markets have significantly-viewed or distant networks needed to complete a full big-four network package. I saw Sherman/Ada, Gainesville and Monterey in yellow, and each is missing a network. It is quite possible that because there aren't certain networks in each market, that each market will be losing a channel.

Educated guess...

Those markets have significantly-viewed or distant networks needed to complete a full big-four network package. I saw Sherman/Ada, Gainesville and Monterey in yellow, and each is missing a network. It is quite possible that because there aren't certain networks in each market, that each market will be losing a channel.

Good guess. That is exactly correct.

BTW when I get back to my main computer I will be changeing my avatar to reflect the meal I will be eating soon.

See ya
Tony

Educated guess...

Good guess. That is exactly correct.

BTW when I get back to my main computer I will be changeing my avatar to reflect the meal I will be eating soon. Though I am still certain CBS HD will not be removed from O&O markets.

See ya
Tony

hehe south park

oh and that HD icon looks like a joke, it just marks the channel, I think most already know what channels are HD, heck they lready have an HD guide. I think what people want is proper HD marks on shows

Yep.. you'll notice the central area of Louisiana is the Lafayette area. According to Dish's site when you put in your address you qualify for all the locals except for NBC. I'm not sure it works but you can actually receive three NBC's via OTA in Lafayette, KVHP Lake Charles, KALB Alexandria, and WVLA Baton Rouge. Dish only carries WVLA.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts