Monday November 13th, Tech Chat Recap

I find it hard to believe that there will be a monthly fee on this thing.

I do believe that they will only allow certain drives to be used with this thing. It will probably employ a similiar IDE locking capability much like we saw on the original XBox versions. I also wouldn't be suprised if the shows are encrypted too.

They're capturing the data stream which is encrypted, ergo the show is encrypted.

I will have to second that I will not buy a E* branded drive or pay a fee for this ....Not goint to happen.

I understand they are in the business to make money and shareholder value is king but when Comcast does this for free....THINK ABOUT IT!!!

I will have to second that I will not buy a E* branded drive or pay a fee for this ....Not goint to happen.

I understand they are in the business to make money and shareholder value is king but when Comcast does this for free....THINK ABOUT IT!!!

My point exactly. Coworkers in my office with Comcast have been able to do this with any USB drive they want, and no extra fee for it.

So, if Dish wants to compete, then I challenge them to compete fairly on this issue. No branded (expensive) drives and no additional fees (monthly or otherwise). I simply won't do it if they charge for the drives and/or an additional monthly fee. I'm tired of being fee'd to death. At the risk of being redundant, I've drawn a line in the sand and that's it. Enough is enough! :mad:

I can see it now. People will write a program so that they can use their own external hard drive instead of having to buy Dish Network's external hard drive.

I can handle the Tech Chats but the last Charlie Chat made me want to fling myself off a very high bridge :D

Mike

That's because you actually "watch" them. I only ever record them and skip through all the fluff for the few kernels. Skip when Charlie gets long winded; skip the boring guest; skip the lame remote (or whatever) newbe demos; watch the Q&As, except for the lame questions; watch the annoncements (unless Charlie gets long winded); etc. I "watch" a typical chat in about 12 minutes. I doudt I've ever missed much. If I've already got Novocain brain, I just read the recap that some other poor sod had sit all the way through the entire chat to report it accurately :D

I watched Technical chat because I accidentally forgot to fast forward through some commercials one day and saw they were having the slingbox demo (which I was considering purchasing).

When Charlie said USB external transfer on the 622 I was seriously considering upgrading from a 721 pretty much just for that feature. I can't take anymore record through a TV tuner in real time. That is very tedious especially when you can't queue them up and get like 8 hours worth overnight and then just chop the file into sections.

If the enable USB on the 622 like he said AND they charge a fee for it or make you buy a hard drive from them, than screw it. I'll stick with the setup I have. Sorry Charlie I'd upgrade receiver and maybe pay for your HDTV, but I sure am not going to if you charge me to use a USB connection....give me a break.

Anybody remember the part where Charlie said if you couldn't get local channels any other way you could call the cable company and ask for some kind of low end, only the local channels package? Anyone remember the technical/legal name of that package....I get from DISH but I have cable internet and the keep stiffing me $10/mo on my internet connect for not being a cable customer. I'm hoping maybe I can use whatever Charlie was talking about and have it cost less than $10/mo thereby making me a cable customer and at least not eating all of the add on cost. I think Charlie said it was something they had to provide by law, I need the term he used. Sorry if that is in the chat transcript but I didn't see it or find it in a search.

If my post is too long apologies....several year member, first time to post a message.

Thanks Scott!

Either the CSR had no clue what a lifeline package was or the cable company in my area is really bad. Cheapest thing I can get is channels 2-13 which covers locals from the 3 nearest towns and it ONLY costs $21.95, so basically the cheapest thing they offer is 11 analog channels and that's just barely below half the price I pay for the Top 100 package and locals on DISH in digital.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts