Monthly Dish Network guide magazine...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

brian913

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 1, 2006
Just curious. How many of you guys and gals get this monthly magazine? Was thinking about ordering it. Wanted to know if it is worth the $4.25 a month. Thanks

I'm a 7 year customer have free access to them,and i have not open it once. love my guide button with 9 days of info it is plenty for me

I got this magazine a while back because my wife thought it would be nice to have. I never looked at it and I'm not sure my wife ever did either. Finally cancelled it after wasting money for about a year.

I don't know- if they paid me $4.25 a month to take it, I guess I would. ;)

Had it years ago, when I first sub'd. Saw absolutely no use for it. Maybe if you were big on premium movies. Maybe.

I Can't believe they don't give it away for free in the hope that people who see all of the movies available on premiums and pay-per-view will upgrade/purchase. Surely they could cover the majority of the cost with ads. Write it off as "marketing"

I had for about two years awhile back. It's usefulness depends. At first it was COMPLETE list for an entire month, so it was occasionly useful for long term planning. However, it was very tedious to browes through. Pages and pages of little type, and not always organized that well. I eventually dropped it because it started getting more and more "TVGuide" like gossip articles, and less and less actual program data (which is why I also dropped TVGuide a year ago).

If it were and electronic version you could search and sort, it would have far more useful; kind of like a month long guide. But as it was, it became a waste of time and money.

The only real use for the paper guide is the very accurate listing of the movies to air. For other channels, it is pretty much a waste, as the 9 day guide is, by far, the best guide you will ever get. BUT, if you are trying to manage recordings of movies, especially from your pay services (HBO, Showtime, Starz, etc.), then it becomes a valuable tool I use often. The accuracy of the magazine guide is about 99% for the premium movies. I don't use the DVR to record to an external device. Therefore, the ability to quickly look-up exactly when a movie will play again, and look up info and year of release, etc., 8 weeks later, when I am able to put the dvr's in the database and library, is very useful. I can also glance through the book much faster and with greater ease for upcoming movies on the HD channels I get. And, finally, I never expected it, but the magazine has clued me in to many series (for example, the forthcoming "Mitchell and Web" series set to debut on BBC America, yet not a peep from the BBC America website, nor would a Dish Pass have helped because you can't guess every British series BBC America decides to air for the first time here in the US) that I otherwise would never have known about. I hadn't a clue that EXTRAS would ever be shown in the US--years ago--and I don't watch HBO ad-crap, yet the Dish Magazine had a small feature on its premiere. And that is how I found out about quite a few shows that were of interest to me. However, there is also a lot of puffy, silly, junk, too. You can order it, and cancel it at any time. It is not for everyone, and if I did not subscribe to the premium movie channels, I would not subscribe to the magazine.

i to0 must be odd. oh wait, I am. but anyway. my wife and i really like the guide in fact we somehow missed this month and it's driving her, therefor me, crazy!!!!

trying to find it on a newsstand or magazine rack is impossible, but you would think the local retailers would have copies of it. NO.

Oh well, supposed to be getting one sent. We'll see if it actually shows up.

Heh, Gentleman, next time you have an erster po-boy, dressed, think of me. I'm from Algiers and my sister still lives in Metairie.

Very timely :)

I use to subscribe. On more than 1 occasion it didn't show up and on those occasions when I phoned I was assured that a replacement would be in the mail pronto...never to show up. It was helpful to plan premium movie viewing, but have found that I get along just fine without it and save what $45 a year. Also, some of the advertising wasn't very timely or accurate. Note the full page ad that appeared in the October 2006 issue. Enough said!

Attachments

• Weather on the 8s.jpg
    Weather on the 8s.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 198
Heh, Gentleman, next time you have an erster po-boy, dressed, think of me. I'm from Algiers and my sister still lives in Metairie.
From magazines to food.

Last week I had to get a hogie bun from Target and throw it in the oven for a few minutes and pretend it was real French Bread to make a roast beef po-boy.

Sadly, last time I was in NOLA there was no real French bread for the po-boys. Just some kind of soft flat stuff people seemed to get used to. My family down there didn't want to talk about it, other than something about the bakeries being gone. It's just Katrina bread now, not the stuff that ripped into the roof of my mouth as a kid. Strange place, now. My wife and I drove along Lakeshore Drive, saw the abandoned mansions and many for sale, unrepaired. We stood in the center of Lakeshore Drive, right by the Mardi Gras fountain- no traffic! Couldn't even see any vehicles coming, around lunch time!

FYI, we also discussed the death count, and the "federal" way of counting the deaths- no body, no count. Fat gators and fertilized swamp doesn't count.

Maybe if the Dish magazine covered that stuff, I'd subscribe. But then, that's not what they're for.

Sadly, last time I was in NOLA there was no real French bread for the po-boys. Just some kind of soft flat stuff people seemed to get used to. My family down there didn't want to talk about it, other than something about the bakeries being gone. It's just Katrina bread now, not the stuff that ripped into the roof of my mouth as a kid. Strange place, now. My wife and I drove along Lakeshore Drive, saw the abandoned mansions and many for sale, unrepaired. We stood in the center of Lakeshore Drive, right by the Mardi Gras fountain- no traffic! Couldn't even see any vehicles coming, around lunch time!

FYI, we also discussed the death count, and the "federal" way of counting the deaths- no body, no count. Fat gators and fertilized swamp doesn't count.

Maybe if the Dish magazine covered that stuff, I'd subscribe. But then, that's not what they're for.

When was the last time you were in NOLA, evidently you family is not familiar with Leidenheimers, you need to take another drive along Lakeshore drive and visit the entire Lakeview area and the rest of the city, plus what does Dish magazine have to do with the conditions in New Orleans area.

Bob

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts