Monthly Programming Guide

Bev

Original poster
Mar 29, 2007
When I first signed up for Sky Angel, I also subscribed to their monthly programming guide. Didn't renew after the first year because it was pretty much worthless. The same information with about as much detail can be had from the on-screen Guide.

Does anyone subscribe to the monthly guide? Have they improved it?

Bev

I've subscribed to the Guide from its beginning. I prefer it over the online guide, and yes, I think it has improved over the years, although I really haven't given it much thought, I just like the printed format.

I'm sure that didn't answer your question.

Jeff

Well I really support Christian media so I subscribe to it just hoping SA makes a little money off it. I normally look at it when it first comes to see which specials will be on. Occasionally they have a good article I read.

I do think it is a mistake of theirs to have an online guide for free. They also will email out notices of specials for free. They ought to charge something like $20.year for the online guide and email notices and for an extra $5 throw in the paper guide. They could also use the online guide as enticement for annually paying members to renew or for monthly members that don't fall behind on their bill.

That approach might make them some money, but wouldn't do well in the Internet age. If I was paying monthly, letting me know of valuable events would help keep me as a customer. (It has less impact since I have already "paid" all I am required to pay.)

The trend is away from written publications in many areas, and many good things are free on the Internet. Plus adding a cost also adds the cost of keeping track of who should have access.

Brad

Thanks Jeff and Shane for your replies.

Does Dish or any other satellite TV company charge for their on-SCREEN guide? I would think that is simply part of the technology you are already paying for and bringing into your home.

Unless, Shane, you are talking about the onLINE programming guide that they provide on their website. I can see where those two concepts - online (Web) vs. on-screen (TV) - could be confused.

Bev

I was talking about the onLINE not the onSCREEN. Of course, if they charged for the onLINE, I would think they would want to provide a loop-hole for their monthly subscribers like giving it to them free if they paid their bill on time. They could also offer it to the yearly subscribers by offering it as an incentive to resubscribe.

I do go through my Guide and circle the programs that interest me and normally make note of them in my electronic organizer so I remember to watch them.

I subscribe to the monthly published guide mainly to support SA (since I am a "lifer"), so I was well into July before I realized I hadn't received the guide. Have they stopped publishing the guide? Did anyone else miss the July issue? I wanted to see if I am alone before making a quiry to SA Customer Service.

why buy guide?

why pay for it now? You have to buy it for 12 months and DBS is supposed to be gone before then! As for improvements, lets say they changed it but I still don't like it. also it never seems to be correct so you have to resort to online anyway :(

I emailed SA about not receiving the guide for July. Daphne replied to confirm my address and said she would give me a credit for July. However, it is now time for the August issue to arrive and nothing yet.

I worked with a nice Cust svc rep regarding my problem with receiving the Guide. he discovered that it was due to my address not being in the federal database. This did not effect the rest of my mail, but apparently some companies use the database for computer addressing and if an address is not valid it's a no go. The post office had changed my address, but apparently contracted it out and there was a lag in getting it into the federal database.

I thanked the CS rep for his assist and told him the forum was less than complimentary to SA mgmt giving him the URL. His comment . . . "We are aware of the forum's statements concerning Sky Angel. Thanks for the heads-up. I can assure you that my dealings with the management of this company indicate above board actions, and having worked in the corporate world for many years, I can state I am proud of this company's management."

My reply . . .

"Your assist is greatly appreciated. I appreciate your view of management, and your experience with management would be considerably different from that of the abandoned lifetime sponsors. And, what about all those that still don't know what is happening? However, we don't need to go there just read the forum threads and see for yourself . . . "

I assume sky angel nicely took your $ though

they have both an address and phone # on file, took your $ but then never followed up as your address was not in some data base?

they have both an address and phone # on file, took your $ but then never followed up as your address was not in some data base?
No that wasn't the case. It's the wonderful world of technology to blame. The Guide came faithfully until the post office contracted for 911 addressing. The SA computer, and others I presume, use the federal database to determine if addresses are valid. Apparently the SA computer system doesn't inform customer service when an address is rejected. When CS checked my address the data base told them that the street numbers stopped short of my number. CS was quite nice and gave me credit for missing issues and mailed me one at my old address.

I am glad you see them as nice, I see them as incompetent. I am sure you are not the only one whose guide stopped and am sure some may have just thought their subs ran out. Sky angel did not set up a check and balance with their own computer system so effectively got to pocket the $ without delivering the guides unless someone calls them on it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts