More 510 problems.

MustangLX89

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Nov 19, 2004
Ohio
In the past few months my 510 has been getting more and more issues it seems. First it developed a hiccup in the video/audio signal causing skips in int audio video/feed from the unit. At first they were not all that frequent but as time goes on they seem to get worse and more frequent. Basically the whole picture stops mid frame for a second as well as the sound then skips ahead back to "normal" time when watching show in real time. These hiccups also show up occasionaly in recordings as well. We've done the soft boot, the hard boot, removing the card, clearing the drive dance to no avail. Another thing it does occasionaly when changing channels is the sound (optical) fuzzes out and doesn't play the audio. All we get are static noises.

We've also called Dish on this and described the problem to the techs because we are leasing this unit. The term started in September last year. After describing what we were having happen the tech says, "I have a couple of 510's as well and they do the same thing." I asked him what the problem was and he didn't have any answer one way or the other as to if it's hardware or software. It's frustrating as hell to think this is a box problem that can't or most likely won't be fixed. Any of yall have similar problems?

I have two 510's and they are stable with no problems as you describe. Have you checked your signal strength? If one of my units started messing up I would ask for a replacement. One thing though, make sure your unit is well ventalated, if not they will over heat quickly, and I mean quick.

It has plenty of ventilation. That was one thing I certainly made sure of since it's basically a computer system. The signal strength is great. It usually averages between 119-124 on both sats. The cable is new and the switch is new. The eyes were also found to be fine as well. If the cable we're getting for free in our new apt is any better Dish will have yet another customer dropping their service soon.

Over the years I have found that all of my E* receivers have benefited from the occassional (quarterly to bi-annual) hard reboot.

Tried it and it still has issues. This evening alone from 7pm-9 I've counted no less than 5 hiccups thus far. It about makes me want to shoot the thing.

So what I'm hearing here is that the problems I'm having are not normal to the unit and I should try and get them to replace it? (when pigs fly from what I hear in the forum)

I have not seen this on my 510 either, I would certainly call Dish and when they answer ask to transfer to advanced tech support. When you get ATS request an RMA from them. Shouldn't be an issue if the box is less than 1 yr old or if you have the extended warranty. If you have autopay on your account, they will waive shipping if you ask (at least they did when I RMA'd my 721).

Okay, these are some things I've began to notice on my system. The main channels seem to be operating flawlessly. At least for the times I'm viewing them. The locals are another issue. It seems the skipping, pausing, audio/visual malfuntions, and now pixilation are on my locals package. I'm in Ohio and get the Cleveland/Cinci locals on my package. From what I have noticed the Cleveland locals are the ones having issues. Is anyone else in my area having issues with these locals?

It must be in the Channels themselves or possible dish aim. I have never had problems with my locals.(not the same as yours). Are the channels you have problems with come off 61.5?

First you said you are leasing the 510 so it belongs to DISH "Notwerk" they should replace it free of charge if it has problems no time limit. Second if you are having no problems on main channels only on locals it is probably overcompression on DISH'S part not a receiver problem. The receiver is only processing the CRAP DISH Notwerk is sending out.

Interesting. How much compression do they do with locals versus regular channels? I double checked the signal strength today to be certain and with the clear sky we had today both 110/119 were at full 125 strength with no fluxuation. If it is a Dish "Notwork" problem with them screwing the signal I may have to reconsider having them once I move to the place with cable in March. The signals are damn near unwatchable on the locals with all the bugginess they have from time to time.

I just got an email from the tech support email line they have. This fella thinks that it may be hard drive issues. They want to do more "trouble shooting" over the phone. Who knows. I'll get back with yall when we figure itall out.

Do you have any other receivers hooked up? It sounds like some kind of reception issue or maybe something with your switches (mine only act up during severe rain or snowstorms)

Try rerunning check switch too. Sometimes that can flush out some bugs.

My 510 and 4900 have been my only "stable" receivers. The Two 7200 Dishplayers and my 921 have been the main cause of frustration at my household (although the Dishplayers have been fairly well behaved recently considering that they have light duty).

I've taken out the switch completely this weekend and shut down the 65.5 sat since I'm moving. I only have one reciever hooked up as well. After that I did run a check switch to flush the other dish out. This past weekend when watching the football game on the Fox local got so bad it was unwatchable. That's when I took the switch out and brought the other dish down. This evening the signal has seemed stable without any problems. I may wait and see since this will be the only way I can hookup the sat at the new apartment I'm moving to in a month. I don't want to get anything confused on Dish Networks end as far as where they would need to send a replacement that close to switching the address.

my 510 has also started to hiccup recently, i usually watch recorded programs on it, and it will skip a few seconds...it never did this before about a month ago, i have an 811 hooked up to the same tv, and it never has any problems...i don't get locals on my 510

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)