More 61.5 HD Migrations Coming...

I just subscribed to the forums after using them to keep tabs on Dish for awhile. From this site I had the heads up that Dish was migrating. Sure enough, last night got home and lost quite a few HD channels. After spending more than an hour on the phone with Techs, they finally got the channels to appear in the 4000 range. They can't get a tech out to me until June 14th after the 11th cut-off. I have two DP34s that I installed, running to two dishes on the roof. I have four boxes connected at home, three dual tuners, two of them DVRs, and one single tuner, all HD. Its a nice setup. Recently I bought another receiver to take with me camping and bought a dish and tripod. Except for the upgrade to HD, I've been a Dish subscriber for almost 9 years. Can anyone tell me what they might possibly be changing and will it affect me on the road with my tripod setup? Is there a dish change out or a re-alignment? Could not get a straight answer from the techs last night. Worried that where my dishes set and depending on what needs to be changed, I may have significant tree blockage. Sorry for the long first post. Thanks, Skip

I know you're trying to avoid mixed arc, but I do appreciate Dish working with me because of LOS issues. I have 110/119 from my front porch and 61.5 and 72.7 from 2 different locations on my garage roof in back, 70 feet from my house. There are no other options without taking down a large pine tree (some excellent techs and supervisors tried), and I can't see 77 from anywhere on my property (ZIP 07860, NW NJ).
u dont really need 77. i think thats just for locals

The information we received indicated we are migrating off the 61.5 with HD channels. The channels will be available either from the 72.7 or 129 satellites. The 61.5 by the end of the year will have limited HD capability. This is the reason for the migration. When the migration is scheduled, have the technician check all possible locations for the LOS. We can assist you with scheduling the tech visit.

The information we received indicated we are migrating off the 61.5 with HD channels. The channels will be available either from the 72.7 or 129 satellites. The 61.5 by the end of the year will have limited HD capability. This is the reason for the migration. When the migration is scheduled, have the technician check all possible locations for the LOS. We can assist you with scheduling the tech visit.

Hi Ray,

So I had a tech out, I can't get 129 or 72.7, I can get 119, 110, 61.5 only. So what's my resolution? I don't want to cancel, but sounds like that's the only option besides dumping HD which isn't on the table for me.

Hi Ray,

So I had a tech out, I can't get 129 or 72.7, I can get 119, 110, 61.5 only. So what's my resolution? I don't want to cancel, but sounds like that's the only option besides dumping HD which isn't on the table for me.

Are you sure you can't get 72? There are always exceptions, but if you can get 61.5 there is usually a spot to get both...... Do you feel the tech who came out tried different ways to get it?
If you can't get either 129 or 72, you might as well look for another provider if you want HD.

Last edited:
Unless E15 or E12 are moving (or failing in the case of the latter), I wonder why that is.

This is not new information, they have been migrating for quite awhile now this is just the next phase. Dish has never said (to my knowledge) there would not be HD on 61.5. They did say most current HD programming would not be on it, I think except for locals. (And I wonder when they replace 77 if locals will go there) Speculation is, they will go full time with RSN's, possibly add MLB EI at some point, etc.... Could also be in conjunction with adding more VOD in HD.

Are you sure you can't get 72? There are always exceptions, but if you can get 61.5 there is usually a spot to get both......

Yeah, they seem so close don't they! I thought the same thing.

The tech claimed my 61.5 signal was "squeezing" between two tall maples, so 72 was hitting the middle of the tree. In fact my 61.5 signal will go out when the wind blows, so I'm just barely getting through those two trees. Of course it's neighbors trees, otherwise I'd buy a 6pack and let a crazy chain saw friend of mine do a bit of "trimming" for me.

I also think if you go to the very far corner of my yard, you can hit eastern arc fine, but it's far back in the yard and would be on a pole. I'm horrible with distance, but it's probably 125+ feet away from the corner of my house. I get a feeling the tech Dish sent out didn't even want to think about putting anything back there (any maybe you can't extend it further then a set distance). Thus he wrote "NLS" on the work order.

I like the ideas were getting going here! I'm sure we can figure something out, just feels like the techs Dish sends out are all about getting it fixed now or they don't want to spend a whole afternoon helping one customer. They must get paid per call they complete in a day. Is there such a thing as a "elite" Dish install team? Some crazy dish pointing ninja might figure it out.

I can't answer the 125ft for sure, but I can tell you there a house near me in Ct. with a Direct TV satellite at least that far from the house. As for being on a pole, that is no problem at all as long as it is installed correctly. (in cement etc..) One of my dishes is on a pole with zero problems.

Find myself in this loss of channel situation as well. Have seen posts here that this was coming...I have to post so that I can send a PM to one of the DIRT team to get the upgrade going. Thanks to everyone for all of the info that flows through this forum.

I believe you can go up to 200'. Making it an underground run will be an accomplishment.

Yup. Go for the EA dish at the 125' location. DishPro is spec'd out to 200' and has been pushed further. (I think I saw 310' on this forum.)

Yeah, they seem so close don't they! I thought the same thing.

The tech claimed my 61.5 signal was "squeezing" between two tall maples, so 72 was hitting the middle of the tree. In fact my 61.5 signal will go out when the wind blows, so I'm just barely getting through those two trees. Of course it's neighbors trees, otherwise I'd buy a 6pack and let a crazy chain saw friend of mine do a bit of "trimming" for me.

I also think if you go to the very far corner of my yard, you can hit eastern arc fine, but it's far back in the yard and would be on a pole. I'm horrible with distance, but it's probably 125+ feet away from the corner of my house. I get a feeling the tech Dish sent out didn't even want to think about putting anything back there (any maybe you can't extend it further then a set distance). Thus he wrote "NLS" on the work order.

I like the ideas were getting going here! I'm sure we can figure something out, just feels like the techs Dish sends out are all about getting it fixed now or they don't want to spend a whole afternoon helping one customer. They must get paid per call they complete in a day. Is there such a thing as a "elite" Dish install team? Some crazy dish pointing ninja might figure it out.

PM a DIRT member. You need someone else to get their A out there. You are depending on 1 guy that just didn't take the time to figure anything out. He is WRONG in that if you have line of sight at 125 then that is NO PROBLEM. Get it done you are not getting the correct info. Also you may have to pay some $$ for the trench but it will be worth it.

Did the tech look for all possible locations in determining you didn't have LOS for 129 or 72.7? How long ago was he out? If this was recent, we could setup to have a Field Service Manager to verify the tech's conclusion. Please PM me if you'd like to pursue that option.

If you are fully EA (61.5/72/77) or WA (110/119/129) you do not need to do anything. The channels migrated over to 72 from 61.5. If you have 129 there was no migration. You wouldnt even know they changed unless you were here and seen the threads ;)

The issue is for those with 110/119/61.5 (mixed arc)

Customer Support?

Thank goodness for this thread, otherwise I'd still have no idea why my channels were missing. I chatted with multiple customer service reps, both via the Dish Network website and Twitter, and none of them had any idea why my channels were gone -- that's insane to me. Rather, I spent a good portion of my day being told I simply need to reset the power on my equipment.

I never received a letter or email about this change and apparently neither did a majority of the Dish Network support team.

Hopefully when I call to schedule a migration the person I talk to will be aware of the situation. Sorry for the vent, but the whole thing boggles my mind for a company that prides itself on service.

If you are fully EA (61.5/72/77) or WA (110/119/129) you do not need to do anything. The channels migrated over to 72 from 61.5. If you have 129 there was no migration. You wouldnt even know they changed unless you were here and seen the threads ;)

The issue is for those with 110/119/61.5 (mixed arc)

Well explained. I know I didn't mention it before, but only customers with mixed arc setup need the migration (119/110/61.5)

If you're already on a full arc, chances are nothing needs to be done (there are a few exceptions regarding local channels)

This is not new information, they have been migrating for quite awhile now this is just the next phase. Dish has never said (to my knowledge) there would not be HD on 61.5. They did say most current HD programming would not be on it, I think except for locals. (And I wonder when they replace 77 if locals will go there) Speculation is, they will go full time with RSN's, possibly add MLB EI at some point, etc.... Could also be in conjunction with adding more VOD in HD.

The statement was that there would be less capacity, not more programming. Dish could be just saying it poorly, I suppose. Adding full time RSNs is possible, but the could have just as easily have launched to 72.7.

I know you're trying to avoid mixed arc, but I do appreciate Dish working with me because of LOS issues. I have 110/119 from my front porch and 61.5 and 72.7 from 2 different locations on my garage roof in back, 70 feet from my house. There are no other options without taking down a large pine tree (some excellent techs and supervisors tried), and I can't see 77 from anywhere on my property (ZIP 07860, NW NJ).

I have the same situtation. I have 110/119/61.5. A tech told me that I can see 72 but not 77 and that their is nothing that can done for me because 77 is required and if he just repointed the 61.5 to 72 I would still have a mixed arc. He told me to go with D*.

Plan to call D* later tonight.

I have been very happy with E* and hate to leave. However, the Whole House DVR is very tempting.

I have been told that if/when I cancel it should be just before my "next month" starts because E* will not prorate a refund. And of course there is the $15 fee to return my receivers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)