More about locals

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Camplate

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 28, 2004
I emailed D* about the local channels. My complaints are: No WB(there is no local WB station), they are not broadcasting the local UPN, and the PBS is the national feed not local programming. The reply:

Thanks for writing. I'm sorry, but a local WB affiliate is not available in your area, even though we do carry most other local channels. If your city doesn't have a local affiliate of a particular network (such as WB, UPN or CBS), even if you are able to get an over-the-air signal from a nearby city, we can't include that network in your local channel package. In addition, some local stations broadcast their signal at low power or are unable to deliver a good quality signal to us.

As new local TV stations start service, provide a higher power signal, find a way to get us their signal, or become affiliated with a network, we have a process to update our local channel offerings. We hope to continue expanding our local channel offerings in the coming months.

Additionally, the PBS channel that we show you should be receiving is channel X:mad:XXX) and is the PBS channel that the local affiliates are allowing us to broadcast. Unfortunately, we are only able to transmit the local channel feed that the local channels provide us with.

Me again. So I understand the WB answer, and maybe the UPN problem but they don't really answer the PBS question. 99% of the time it doesn't matter and I can get it OTA; just wanted some feedback about anything else I can do. Contact the local PBS?

Without mentioning where I am, there are two local stations that are cable only. One is a statewide station almost like C-SPAN but also business, travel, and even sports shows. The other is again the same, but just for the city. Maybe a waste of bandwidth for D* but shouldn't I be able to get it? (The first is funded by the cable compnies that carry it.

Lastly, if they say you need a multi-satellite system, that means a triple LNB? Would I need an oval instead of round dish also?

Thanks for the info, love the site.

camplate, you've narrowed down the market in which you live: Harrisburg.

From what I recall of the Harrisburg market, DirecTV is waiting to get an acceptable signal from the UPN affiliate.

The main issue, however, is the PBS station. You will need to contact the PBS station to understand why they aren't carried on DirecTV, and are therefore allowing the national PBS to be substituted.

Lastly, those local stations may actually be some kind of public access stations. If not, in your area, Comcast owns those stations, and are not willing to give satellite companies the ability to retransmit.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)