More Audio Sync Issues -- Need Help

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DJ Matt

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 13, 2008
I noticed on FX HD and Planet Green HD that the audio was 1-2 seconds off. Anyone else experiencing these issues? It seems like I have been getting a lot of this. The other day I was getting it on ESPN HD and ESPN2 HD. Should I call DirecTV or is there a simple solution to fix this such as a reset?

I have the same problem, but only on my Tv's using HDMI. I called Directv, they told me to use the component cable for HD. They said there is no difference...go figure

They really told you that? HDMI is much better in my opinion. I won't settle for component. As long as you have at least a somewhat HDMI cable it shouldn't matter.

I always have audio sync issues. Quite annoying! Some channels are worse then others. I have no sync issues while watching blu-rays. I also never had issues when I was with Comcrap.

I am also using hdmi - never swapped out to test.

I have the same issues while watching ESPN2HD, and I'm using a HDMI cable. I highly doubt switching from HDMI to component would fix the problem. I guess you could switch down to the SD channel, or get use to it like I have.

I always have audio sync issues. Quite annoying! Some channels are worse then others. I have no sync issues while watching blu-rays. I also never had issues when I was with Comcrap.

I am also using hdmi - never swapped out to test.
Yeah, I never had any audio sync issues with my cable company out of the 2 years I have had an HDTV. Neither have I had any issues with Blu-ray.

I have the same issues while watching ESPN2HD, and I'm using a HDMI cable. I highly doubt switching from HDMI to component would fix the problem. I guess you could switch down to the SD channel, or get use to it like I have.
I would rather get used to it than turning to the SD channel. Besides, its not all the time that there are sync issues, just sometimes.

They really told you that? HDMI is much better in my opinion. I won't settle for component. As long as you have at least a somewhat HDMI cable it shouldn't matter.
Yes, D* really told me that. I have both hdmi and comp. hooked up and only have audio problems with hdmi....

While i have no audio issues using either the HDMI or component; I can back the comment that there is so little difference in the video between the two cables your human eye likely CAN'T tell the difference between them. Anything you think you see is perception IMHO. If you are having HDMI issues I would guess that maybe you are using an older spec and should try a v1.3a cable. I have read many user claiming this solved their issues.

For only $3.19 each when QTY 50+ purchased - HDMI 1.3a Category 2 Certified Cable 28AWG - 6ft w/Ferrite Cores (Gold Plated Connectors) - BLACK | 28AWG HDMI 1.3a Category 2 Certified Male to Male Cables

While i have no audio issues using either the HDMI or component; I can back the comment that there is so little difference in the video between the two cables your human eye likely CAN'T tell the difference between them. Anything you think you see is perception IMHO. If you are having HDMI issues I would guess that maybe you are using an older spec and should try a v1.3a cable. I have read many user claiming this solved their issues.

For only $3.19 each when QTY 50+ purchased - HDMI 1.3a Category 2 Certified Cable 28AWG - 6ft w/Ferrite Cores (Gold Plated Connectors) - BLACK | 28AWG HDMI 1.3a Category 2 Certified Male to Male Cables

Not sure how old the cable is - might have even been supplied by DTV if I remember correctlty. Worth it to buy a new one and swap out.

Yeah, I have 1.2 only. My TV is capable of 1.3 I believe. Maybe I will get one for only $3.19. I currently have an Acoustics Research HDMI cable which was around $65. When I had HD with cable I never once experienced audio sync issues on any of the channels though.

I have had audio sync issues with both, component and HDMI connections. Very irritating!:mad:
Yeah, it doesn't seem to me that switching to component will help. I am a firm believer in the HDMI connection. For one, it delivers both audio and video of course and it just seems better overall. Component you will have more wires and I don't want that. Need to keep it as neat as possible.

I believe its a directv issue, I've had it from time to time using hdmi straight to tv and using rca to a theater receiver, soon as I change the channel it goes away.

I believe its a directv issue, I've had it from time to time using hdmi straight to tv and using rca to a theater receiver, soon as I change the channel it goes away.
When you go back to the channel that you are having audio issues with it still does it right? I notice the audio sync issues are on random channels at random times. Last night CNN was way off and I recorded something from HBO and the audio was quite a bit off.

I feel for those having issues BUT think if it were a "DirecTV problem" that means it is system wide and that means EVERYONE would have the same issues; and the vast majority DO NOT. There has to be some per user specifics at play.

Yeah, its probably not a DirecTV problem at whole. Its just a few individual users that are having this issue. Perhaps its just the HD DVR box? I think I should call DirecTV and notify them about this issue because it happens quite often on a few channels.

DJ Matt said:
Perhaps its just the HD DVR box?

Well, again no as I have multiple HD DVRs and a non-DVR HD receiver and none exhibit this issue. I also know of well over 50 individuals, friends and family that have one or the other series of HD or HD DVR that also do not have these audio issues (connected in all the various methods); nor most of the other issues read about the DVR. With some many scenarios of TVs, cables, A/V receives, etc, its no wonder these rare occurrences can't be nailed down.

DJ Matt said:
I think I should call DirecTV and notify them

You can, and I would never advise against that action, but be prepared to be offered a refurbished HD DVR as the solution. I would try a quality v1.3a HDMI cable first (post #8). I assume by reading the you connect HDMI from DirecTV to TV? If so, what make & model TV?

Last edited:
I cant say I know 50 D* HD subs, but I know at least a dozen. I also know at least a dozen people with Charter HD.

Everyone I know has audio sych issues with D* HD from the beginning of time, including myself.

Everyone I know that has Charter HD never has audio sync isues, including myself when I subbed up to about 10 weeks ago.

Audio sync is a super common issue with all DBS providers, has been since the beginning of time. To say its not a D* problem is pretty much ridiculous. Search DBS, search here, search AVS. You will find tons of thread dating back a long time with many many people having D* and E* audio sync issues.

This charper guy defends D* as if his life depends on it, always has, always will.

Audio sync is a fact of life with D*. If one doesnt notice the problem they either a). dont watch very much TV, or b). they arent paying attention, or c). they are just simply full of it.

HDMI 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, component. It doesent matter, audio sync will be a random problem from time to time with D* HD.

My 7 year old gets irritated with the audio sync issues on D*. Saying its not a D* issue is pretty much laughable.

I have 5 HD STB's from D*, 3 DVR's and 2 non-DVR's. There was only 1 box that I had a problem with and that was connected via HDMI to a Sony TV. Every now and then I would notice the audio sync issue via that connection, not via the TOSLINK to my audio system. If I went into the settings on the Sony I could change the sync offset and it would correct the problem, but then put it right back to where it was before and the audio still was OK. To me that makes me think it was a problem on the Sony TV, not the D* stuff.
BTW, that Sony has been replaced and haven't seen the problem with the new set.

Status
Please reply by conversation.