More Bad News HBO sues echostar

Problems with OLN (Versus), Lifetime, TIVO, DNS, Court TV, now HBO all in the last year.

Stop the madness!;)

sopranos and now big love... two huge reasons for HBO and rome is ok... Man I'd hate to leave E* I do love the 3 tuner/2 room DVR (622). But i don't know, when my contract is up it may be awful tempting to switch to a provider who doesn't get into an excessive amount of legal battles and in turn waste my sub money paying for defense attorneys.

Perhaps Chuck should take the path to quieter environs, a la Bill Gates. Step down from CEO, but still be in control of the Board. It does appear that he is becoming more obstinant, like a crotchety old man. I agree with most all of you, I could live without HBO, I suppose. Although my wife and I would hate losing the HBO original series like Big Love, Sopranos, Deadwood, and sometimes Rome.

But the real issue, as has already been said, is the E* sledge hammer approach. Sure, there are times when a sledge hammer is necessary. But it is much more effective in the long run to ping-ping-ping away with a moderate tone. Like it or not, they are negotiating with people. You've got to build some level of trust and rapport, if you desire to get them to want to work with you. Ole' Chuck appears to have lost the ability to be personable.

I took over as Union president after a temultuous time with the outgoing prez always using the "going Chuckie" method. Nothing but roadblocks and filings. When I took over and after management was confident the old prez was out of the picture, it was like a whole new dynamic. My moderate demeanor and willingness to actually listen and understand their point of view went a long way to improving things for our employees. Our employees got much improved conditions because the Union didn't have a prez "going Chuckie" and spoiling things all the time.

Hopefully links are alrite, Read all about it here
http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6409241.html?display=Breaking+News
I wonder if this has anything to do with Dish network not mentioning cinemax on its website for the past few months?Maybe the time-warner court tv has something to do with this. Hopefully echostar knows what its doing cause news has not been good the past few months. ive had dish for 8 years and it seems to me its degrading sadly. I dont know the creditably of this report is but if its true thats pretty bad.

Very interesting! I wonder how long HBO/Cinemax will stay on E* if their really not getting paid for past service. Is E* in financial trouble? Seems as though they should be able to pay the bill as they charge $2 more for HBO than D* and D* doesn't seem to have problems with HBO or any other provider. There was a story on one of the financial reports a couple of months ago that E* was open for a takeover move, sorry, I don't remember the details. It will hurt E*/Charlie if HBO goes away but then again maybe they (E*/Charlie) don't care!
:(

I still maintain that this is a business getting ready to so something big. Either merge or sell out. Maximize current profits(biggest rate/fee increase in years or ever), sell owned shares(DeFranco), remove content by refusing to negotiate(CourtTV) and now not pay the bills(HBO).

Just an observation..If E* was really that far behind in their payments to HBO..Don't ya think HBO would have cut off service long ago? Cmon Guys, they want interest on interest, Obviously this a move on Time Warner's part to get to com,e to terms on Cour tv. Once a contract for courtv is signed this will all get swept under the rug and hopefully Cinemax HD will just suddenly appear

I know one thing...should HBO and/o Cinemax disappear from the channel lineup, their dang well better be a significant drop in the price of the Platinum/AEP packages, or a significant credit until they return. It one thing to drop a regular channel, but totally different to start removing whole suites of premium channels!

I still maintain that this is a business getting ready to so something big. Either merge or sell out. Maximize current profits(biggest rate/fee increase in years or ever), sell owned shares(DeFranco), remove content by refusing to negotiate(CourtTV) and now not pay the bills(HBO).

I was thinking the same thing. Add to that E*'s dropping of plans to expand HD content (no RSN's, uplinked InHD then took it off, etc.). It seems like they're trying to keep everything as-is for someone to look them over for a possible sale.

Big companies are notorious for trying to stretch out payables. Yes they pay their bills, but they try to pay on the very last day possible. This makes them look like they have more cash. It essentially is a way to get a loan from every supplier and not pay for it.

HBO is probably suing because of courtTV, but they probably have the same problem with most of the other TV providers paying their bills late.

I was thinking the same thing. Add to that E*'s dropping of plans to expand HD content (no RSN's, uplinked InHD then took it off, etc.). It seems like they're trying to keep everything as-is for someone to look them over for a possible sale.

You mean ATT?

A service provider today without HBO would be a joke IMO. Even cheap motels have HBO. I have little interest in pay TV, but I think it would be hard for many to take dish network seriously if they couldn't even hold on to pay tv channels.

I agree. Many order HBO for their boxing matches in addition to the movies that they have to offer. A service provider without HBO would be a joke!

HBO is more than a "movie channel." If you ever started to watch "The Wire," "Deadwood," or "Rome," not to mention "The Sopranos" plus many other outstanding series, you find you really cannot enjoy television without HBO. And don't forget the original films, like "Elizabeth I," which will be a major winner at Emmy time.

Like others posting on this, I, too, have struggled with DISH' games with Lifetime, OLN, and Court TV. Had OLN not been brought back before the 2006 Tour de France, that might have sent me running to DirecTV or TWC. Right now, I am starting to evaluate options, because, I have to admit, I am addicted to HBO.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)