MORE BREAKING NEWS: Cablevision files SEC Form 8-K

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
justalurker said:
Their inability to grasp the concept that their beloved system is shutting down. It isn't a question of IF, just a question of WHEN.

But the reference was to the way Voomers are posting the I love Voom me-toos in threads intended to discuss topics.

JL

Whether it shuts down or not is not the issue. The issue is that you are trying to create your set of facts and sell them at every turn and put down VOOM. Why may I ask are you so hateful of VOOM?

As an example, there has been no when...there has been no transition of any type announced for planned for annoucement. FCC is a very cumberson organization. Sales of broadcast stations have normally taken 6 months to over a year to complete. That is their history of action.

Dumb question, maybe...

justalurker said:
Their inability to grasp the concept that their beloved system is shutting down. It isn't a question of IF, just a question of WHEN.

But the reference was to the way Voomers are posting the I love Voom me-toos in threads intended to discuss topics.

JL

But why on earth would you even care? :what :confused:

gutter said:
you are trying to create your set of facts
I'm not creating facts, I'm just refusing to accept lies and rumors as facts.

You are right. No details of a transition for Voom customers have been announced. Yet the wild speculation seems to be set on believing that there will be one. Even though the Cablevision board has clearly said that they working on and will be disposing of the rest of the Voom assets.

E* was an eager buyer for what they got. They are not eager to buy Voom itself - its content or its customers or Voom's other licenses and obligations - which leaves Cablevision hunting for buyers to pay off the losses. You can stick your fingers in your eyes and go la la la la la all you want. It doesn't change the facts.

JL

justalurker said:
I'm not creating facts, I'm just refusing to accept lies and rumors as facts....Even though the Cablevision board has clearly said that they working on and will be disposing of the rest of the Voom assets.
JL

Excuse me, it looks like you are trying to spread a few falsehoods yourself. All I have read is that Cablevision was looking for strategic alternatives, not disposal. Remember E!, WE and IFC are still in the VOOM stable and we have no word that Cablevision wants to get rid of these or any particular item in the stable.

justalurker said:
I'm not creating facts, I'm just refusing to accept lies and rumors as facts.

You are right. No details of a transition for Voom customers have been announced. Yet the wild speculation seems to be set on believing that there will be one. Even though the Cablevision board has clearly said that they working on and will be disposing of the rest of the Voom assets.

E* was an eager buyer for what they got. They are not eager to buy Voom itself - its content or its customers or Voom's other licenses and obligations - which leaves Cablevision hunting for buyers to pay off the losses. You can stick your fingers in your eyes and go la la la la la all you want. It doesn't change the facts.

JL

Why do you F"ing care? If ;you want to go just by press reports... all of cablvision is on the table and could be sold to Time-Warner. That is in Dolan's control to do if he wants too. They never use the word dispose... you did. your interpretation. There are losts of ways to dispose of the remaining assetts as long as they are assets. Seems to me they are not going to take the studeos and produciton facilities and card them to the junkyard just yet.

If you don't like the speculation that VOOM could possible exist in another form....(lots of possibilities beside being run by DISH) than find someplace else to spread your dribble. Why keep frustrating yourself trying to make others buy into your f*ing line of the facts. 24 hours may tell us more who is right. sit tight and watch the movie. Oh I forgot you don't have VOOM do you?

rossjudson said:
E* didn't buy programming, but Voom's own programming is fairly poor, with a couple of notable exceptions. E* already has contracts with many of the pay channels that it could extend to get their HD versions (it's just more money for HBO, etc). It already has contracts with all the SD channels. With the MPEG-4 upgrade in place they could do spot beams to a number of the larger markets with full HD locals (MPEG-4 doubles bandwidth with same PQ, so there are 80 HD channels. That's 40 new ones, plus you can recover 12-14 more by dumping a good slice of Voom content (assuming E* would want to find "showcase" HD programming to put on the remaining Voom channels. That gives you 50-60 HD local channels you can broadcast...Also, I don't know if the bandwidth is limited on the way up, or on the way down...if spot beams are used more channels might be possible.

The Voom technology really does have the possibility of "doing it all" in a very short time frame, if the right deals are cut and the decisions are made...

You can't do that for existing E* customers without a second dish and the necessary cabling to get it over to the existing STB.

uboatcmdr said:
Not only did E* not buy the programing, as far as I have heard they didn't buy the STB's or "soon to be release" (yea right) HD DVR. They just bought the up-link center & satellite.
I have read so many "what if..." or "could it possibly be..." posts in the forums in the past few days it boggles the mind (I even posted a "could it possibly be..." myself), but truth is we will be just about the last to know what is going to happen and all this speculation is not only very redundant it is also rather boring.
Whatever happens, happens. And when something actually does happen, wake me up.

HD DVRs are probably on some sort of development contract with Motorola. Just like the future planned satellites w/Lockheed. Surely there are cancellation clauses with penalties. No telling if they will go forward. So far the talking heads say yes.

From what I've read it appeared to be a two-stage sort of release planned. Stand alone DVR first and networked stuff later. That's still a fair amount of R&D in front of them and that all costs $$$.

Be interesting to see how it plays out. If they go forward with the DVR release, they must see some value or perhaps wish to see the remaining "package" of assets being bundled to a single buyer.

graphiteRT said:
You can't do that for existing E* customers without a second dish and the necessary cabling to get it over to the existing STB.

Many E subs already have dish pointed at 61.5. That si what made buying Rainbow 1 more valuable to E* than anyone else.

gutter said:
Why do you F"ing care? If ;you want to go just by press reports... all of cablvision is on the table and could be sold to Time-Warner. That is in Dolan's control to do if he wants too. They never use the word dispose... you did. your interpretation. There are losts of ways to dispose of the remaining assetts as long as they are assets. Seems to me they are not going to take the studeos and produciton facilities and card them to the junkyard just yet.

If you don't like the speculation that VOOM could possible exist in another form....(lots of possibilities beside being run by DISH) than find someplace else to spread your dribble. Why keep frustrating yourself trying to make others buy into your f*ing line of the facts. 24 hours may tell us more who is right. sit tight and watch the movie. Oh I forgot you don't have VOOM do you?
Gutter, I asked essentially the same question a few days ago, and he never responded to me...but then, I readily admitted my ignorance on the subject by putting in the header that it was Maybe a Dumb Question...perhaps he'll answer you...if he can! ;) Vicki

Vicki said:
Gutter, I asked essentially the same question a few days ago, and he never responded to me...
I could take this opportunity to call you a liar because I have answered that question. But it was in a different thread, so I'll let you off ... this time. :D

Why do you care that I care?

Dan Berndt said:
All I have read is that Cablevision was looking for strategic alternatives, not disposal. Remember E!, WE and IFC are still in the VOOM stable and we have no word that Cablevision wants to get rid of these or any particular item in the stable.
Perhaps you need to read more. Voom is in the same part of Cablevision as their SD program channels, but in no way are E!, WE and IFC "in the Voom stable". It is more like having the SD channels as horses in the same barn as Voom. (More like having Voom assets in a different barn on the same farm because of the separation within Rainbow.)

It isn't the horse's barn, it's the farmer's barn - and Voom is just a few horses headed for the glue factory.

JL
The Companies will continue to explore strategic alternatives, including monetization, for their remaining Rainbow DBS related assets, including programming, equipment and spectrum.

justalurker said:
I could take this opportunity to call you a liar because I have answered that question. But it was in a different thread, so I'll let you off ... this time. :D

I don't, actually. :p

I just have an inquiring mind, and would like to try to understand why someone would be so vehemently insisting there has to be a funeral--if they do not appear to be subscribers or interested in subscribing to the service they believe is dead.

Would you care to link me to the thread where you answered it? I'd be interested in your statements....

Oh, yeah...and I do really appreciate the fact that you didn't call me a liar! :rolleyes:

Vicki

Well hopefully today we will hear something out of Voom after the board meeting today. Again it would be nice for Voom to send out a letter telling whats going to happen to their service. Tomorrow is Feb.

Still Vooming here in VA!!

Vicki said:
justalurker said:
Would you care to link me to the thread where you answered it? I'd be interested in your statements....
Apparently the moderator doesn't want you to know, since several posts have been deleted. Hey Scott - I didn't know SatelliteGuys was highly censored. :eek:

The closest I could come up with is here.

More of an answer to a "why will you be glad when it is over" question, but one the moderator bothered to leave public. Oh well. Voom on until the bitter end that IS coming! (Even if all of the Voom forum posts are deleted.)

JL

Here are the situations where a post will be censored:

(a) personal attacks
(b) trolling in every thread with posts about the same thing that non of our users care to read and we don't want to read either.
(c) Information that it is confidential an it is asked by outside sources to delete it.
(d) Foul Language not tolerated at all.

If your post or anyone's post fell in one of these categories, we reserved the right to not display the post and give warnings to anyone. If the postings continues and are severe enough, it may lead to moderation mode or banning from the board.

We come here for information gathering and to share information not to make anybody's life miserable whether you have OTA, Cable, E*, D* or V*, C-Band, or whatever. We find it very difficult to understand that some make it their mission to make the time here miserable by posting their repeat posts all over the place. Everyone should respect the decision to either stick with your current provider or leave it. Nobody is paying my bill to tell me who should be my next provider or whether I should drop it immediately. That's a personal decision. Please let's leave the personal attacks behind us.

There are two things that remains about V* situation and nobody will be able to solve no matter how many words they write and how many times it is posted.

1 - Rainbow 1 was sold w/ 11 tps and uplink facility. The final sale has yet to be approved.
2 - Voom is still in operation.

Whether VOOM ceases operation tomorrow or not it is not known by anybody yet. In the meantime enjoy whatever provider you have and try to make life easy on yourself. There are multitude of people with bigger problems than V* going out business or V* subscribers not having a provider tomorrow.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts