More Details on 2.0 - Hardware Hits Retail by Year End

DustoMan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 9, 2010
Sparta, Wisconsin, United States
During today's earnings call, more details on the 2.0 service were told to investors:

• As part of SiriusXM 2.0, we will be increasing the programming we provide with more channels, and we will do this with less programming expense in 2011 than in 2010.
  • We continue to work hard on our SiriusXM 2.0 product, which will be ready to launch in the retail channel by the end of the year as we previously disclosed.
  • SXM 2.0 is a major upgrade and evolution of our satellite- and internet-delivered networks that span our hardware, software and audio and data content. We are rolling it out in phases, bringing more content and capabilities to our satellite platform, while also employing connectivity technologies such as WiFi, Bluetooth and the Internet to create exciting complements to our core radio services.
  • This upgrade will first be available to subscribers late this year when we make 2 new-generation radios available at retail. These radios will be able to carry more channels than ever before, thanks to expanded bandwidth, and provide functions that help you enjoy satellite radio like never before.
The new service will offer 25% more channels consisting of SXM's original commercial-free content and a substantial Hispanic offering. They also stated that an online connection will be utilitzed to allow time-shifting up to 5 hours of content, pause, rewinding, and request on-demand content. (Howard Stern) OEM hardware won't arrive until 2013 and one article states that some vehicles can be upgraded with some combination of hardware and software so new car buyers won't be completely left out of the new service offering.

My own analysis:

So it sounds like these new hardware devices are going to be really interesting. The way they describe the 2.0 service, will employ a hybrid satellite/Internet connection. While the device is at home, it would utilitze your home WiFi connection to access the entire SXM offering. However, on the road things might get a little crazy. You'd have the satellite connection to access the majority of channels offered and then an Internet connection either though your cell phone or maybe a 3G modem in the new XM 2.0 hardware would allow access to the extended data services and on-demand music offerings that the new service would bring. The mention of Bluetooth is also interesting as I bet they are going to leverage the Bluetooth audio streaming that new cars and head units are coming with. Or maybe a Bluetooth PowerConnect adapter to keep the audio digital until it's converted to analog FM. Who knows, I'm just thinking out loud, but it does all sound exciting! Maybe we'll get Cinemagic back?

Sirius XM: The Company May Continue to Outperform the Stock Awhile Longer - Seeking Alpha
Two Sirius XM 2.0 Radios Due at End of Year | ceoutlook.com

Ain't gonna be worth a damn if thier signal issues are still there.

I KNOW every day I can expect to lose my signal in my work truck (portable radio) they have dropped signal repeaters or whatever they are using, it's getting REALLY annoying.

Satellite radio is crap thanks to the merger. What use to be deep playlists on many channels is replaced with the same songs over and over again. Just hear how bad the 60s & 80s channel sounds. Also the sq is horrible.

I would never get the hybrid satellite with WiFi. My 3rd generation iPod touch connected to my wifi network with TuneIn Radio Pro gives me a much bigger variety than the cruddy satellite radio which is what I replaced it with last year.

I have to agree with reddice!

Since the merger satellite radio has been crap with repetitive songs during a certain span like 3 months all the same songs over and over again. next quarter a different set of songs
and so on, Some XM repeaters have been shut down or no longer in existance, Sirius signal issues in some areas I can tell when the radio gets signal from a different satellite
sound quality on XM has gone downhill, Sirius I'm not sure since I didn't start using Sirius until just before the merger.

Then there's subscription rates.

Version 2 sounds like quite an improvement but content has to improve also, if it wasn't for the $77 deal I would just sell my radios.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)