More DRM Coming?

I thought DVDs were a progressive recording, and they need to be interlaced for SD TVs. A little web research shows that you do indeed win, as everything I can find indicates DVD Video is interlaced (progressive source material flags the decoder for different handling for movies).
Thanks STL and Foxbat. I hope satisfaction and deeper understanding are their own reward. The reason I made up this quiz was because the last time I googled it, I saw about 10-1 in favor of progressive. This surprised me since I thought it was interlaced. Clearly Foxbat is more skilled with Google than I am (or was). :( But my theoretical understanding of DVDs was better. ;)

Aren't most 622's getting replaced with 722's or 722k's these days? I had my 722 replaced because of a hard drive failure and I got a 722k. I even got a free OTA module when I complained that I was loosing the OTA capability I was currently using on the 722.

It's been a while since I called and complained, but at that time they only offered a replacement 622. If this hits the premium channels, maybe I'll try again. But at that time if no 722 is offered, then I'm done with Dish.

CEO

It's been a while since I called and complained, but at that time they only offered a replacement 622. If this hits the premium channels, maybe I'll try again. But at that time if no 722 is offered, then I'm done with Dish.

It's CEO @ ECHOSTAR. com time. I got my 622 w/ broken HDMI replaced w/ a 722k. Got the upgrade for free but I'm in a new contract. I don't mind the later since D* seems to not have it together on equipment yet and there sure as L an likely where I live to see FIOS maybe for decades.

Black magic may have been 1st but If there is DRM it won't work. It has copy protection built in.
For legal reasons, capture devices from Blackmagic Design are designed not to capture, convert or transmit video or audio from copy-protected sources, e.g. video devices using HDCP.
It's made for editors using Apple Final Cut Pro™ internal effects on Mac OS X™.
Adobe® Premiere Pro® internal effects in DV, MJPEG and uncompressed edit formats.
It's built to dump primarily vid from camera/camcorder into the editor.
And yes I think it's time for you get rid of the Mits. IMHO.

I concur - BM card could accept component signals what doesn't carry HDCP. Please, don't confuse ppl - be honest to that designers.
Highest Quality Analog Connections
The included break-out cable connects Intensity Pro to all types of analog video and audio equipment. This gives you full compatibility with analog component, NTSC, PAL, S-Video and analog audio.

Don't know about hdmi drm, but they are NOT downrezzing or shutting off analog component on Showtime. Year after year they threaten to close the analog hole, but I bet it will never happen (in my lifetime).

Lets hope so. Whats the point of closing the analog hole when they can't even stop Bluray DRM from being cracked. They would just be hurting all us honest consumers while the Pirates would continue doing what they do.

Oh, Jim - that's illegal argument! :D
1920/1440 ratio is not even close to 1080/480 ratio.

It's not illegal, just not equivalent, but the arguement was they could not see any difference between 480p and 1080i while others complain about 1080i being 1440 instead of 1920.

I got it, but those two ratio are out of normal tolerance for sure, so I wouldn be surprised if 480p vs 1080i is not noticeable to anyone. ;)

Last edited:
Nothing to do w/honesty

I concur - BM card could accept component signals what doesn't carry HDCP. Please, don't confuse ppl - be honest to that designers.

It has nothing to do with honesty. Has to do w/if the component of the device is downrezzed to 480 then source would have to be HDMI. I would tend to think that if they do the downrez then they will flag more than time limits.

Verified that HD VOD component output is not crippled (yet). I am using component out of 722, hdmi is not even hooked up. Rented "The Unborn" 1080p Ch501. Prompted that a 15 second test would run and sure enough the Tv lost sync (it would seem the 722 can actually output 1080p over component). Then it came back when I didn't press any buttons and asked if I "want to rent the movie in a resolution that is compatible with my TV". I agreed and was able to watch the movie and it was in 1080i (not downrezzed). It actually looked pretty close to bluray, which I also run at 1080i over component on this same Tv. Not a single glitch or stutter in the whole movie. Long-live analog...

I mean 1080p

Currently, yes, if you mean 1080i. Only some PPV is 1080p.

I said what I meant. I know the amount of 1080p is only available on PPV Which I'm think about putting a Black Magic Design card in my PC to record to a BR burner. I was pretty sure of answer when I asked Just wondering if it only outputs to the HDMI when it is hooked up to asource that shows it is hooked up to a monitor that is a 1080p 24 set.

Unfortunately, DRM is in its infancy as far as the Motion Picture and Broadcast Industries are concerned. You can take it to the bank, they have many future plans for implementing DRM. For example, as soon as it is economically feasible DRM can prevent you from skipping commercials with your DVR recordings. The only reason this is not already implemented is that the number of households with a DVR is relatively small at present.

The receiver that I had HDMI problems with was the 612. I had one briefly last year when Dish started giving them out free with a new 2 year commitment. The connector itself worked fine, but there were some image glitches on HDMI that were not present on the analog outputs. I returned it and got a 622. I have heard of others who had similar experiences with the 612. Hopefully that has been fixed now.

I know the amount of 1080p is only available on PPV Which I'm think about putting a Black Magic Design card in my PC to record to a BR burner. I was pretty sure of answer when I asked Just wondering if it only outputs to the HDMI when it is hooked up to asource that shows it is hooked up to a monitor that is a 1080p 24 set.
I'm nowhere near convinced that this approach makes sense. The cost of Blu-ray blank media ($9+ per 25GB disc) makes it not worth the effort.

The Black Magic HDMI card may not work at all due to handshaking.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts