More Good News from VOOM

Walter L. said:
1) Start using AMC6
2) Migrate to MPEG4
3) A combination of 1 & 2
Maybe the new DVR will be MPEG-4, and the installation will include a new dish and LNB. There will be an installation fee ($99) and either a monthly ($19) or purchase ($499) option. This way, strong adoption of the DVR helps pay for its own rollout as well as the satellite migration. I don't think fee increases are unlikely, either.

Indy said:
This is off topic a bit but leads to a good retailer for Voom. In Indy Fry's Electronics is building a 180,000 square foot store. I stopped by the other day and the manager sat down and talked to me about Fry's growth and plans for expansion. I have never seen the inside of a Fry's store before and still have not seen one with the inventory in place. This store is only at the build out ready for inventory loading.

Why not Fry's for a retail outlet for Voom? Fry's seems to cover the more technical minded customer like electronics kit builders and experimenters. These are the customers who are more likely to buy into HD and Voom over the average joe blow.

Food for thought, Charles if you read this call Fry's and set the deal in place.
Fry's won't sell it because they can't re-sell used equipment with Voom. 90% of stock at a given Fry's Electonics is open box / returns. They even have their own shrink wrapper to give the customer the warm fuzzy that they are buying new product.

Frys is a great place to look at stuff that you're going to order on-line cheaper.

I buy at Fry's only as a last resort.

Shawn

Shawn95GT said:
Fry's won't sell it because they can't re-sell used equipment with Voom. 90% of stock at a given Fry's Electonics is open box / returns. They even have their own shrink wrapper to give the customer the warm fuzzy that they are buying new product.

Fry's is a great place to look at stuff that you're going to order on-line cheaper.

I buy at Fry's only as a last resort.

Shawn

I am not familiar with Fry's but if I understand what you are saying Fry's is a flea market for overstocks and returned merchandise? I can't believe your 90% figure. Is this an exaggeration on your part?

riffjim4069 said:
Off-Topic: Can someone please tell me the location of VOOMs Ku licences? Too lazy to search for it at present. :rolleyes:
The FCC? :D

FCC General Menu Reports -> Licensee
Enter Rainbow DBS and check the Wildcard Search so you get the full name.

I get 8 records with that search with three being active.
#1) E020248 is the SD Uplink Cablevision is selling to Echostar
#2) E030102 is the NY Uplink they use for the current service
The rest are satellites. I believe #8 (S2653) is Rainbow1, but there is little detail.

JL

Indy said:
I am not familiar with Fry's but if I understand what you are saying Fry's is a flea market for overstocks and returned merchandise? I can't believe your 90% figure. Is this an exaggeration on your part?
Fry's is an electronics warehouse-style retailer here in the West. Lots of selection, some great prices (esp. on electronic components and other über-geeky items), but the return rate of products does tend to be high and the staff is legendarily uninformed and incompetent.

Returned merchandise at Fry's is supposed to have a sticker identifying it as such, even if shrink-wrapped. I love shopping there, but do so with my head up and my eyes open, if you know what I mean.

Not my site, and a bit dated, but interesting reading: http://www.doofus.org/frys/

Indy said:

Maybe your Fry's is like this but not the one by me. Yes there are open boxes and returned items but they are clearly marked if you have your eyes open. At my store maybe 3-4% of the items are open boxes.

who_the said:
Fry's is an electronics warehouse-style retailer here in the West. Lots of selection, some great prices (esp. on electronic components and other über-geeky items), but the return rate of products does tend to be high and the staff is legendarily uninformed and incompetent.

Returned merchandise at Fry's is supposed to have a sticker identifying it as such, even if shrink-wrapped. I love shopping there, but do so with my head up and my eyes open, if you know what I mean.

Not my site, and a bit dated, but interesting reading: http://www.doofus.org/frys/

Good reading! Forget Fry's and after reading the horror stories I doubt I ever venture into the hell hole once the store here opens.

I've seen the way Fry's can handle returns. Once I got a bad motherboard from there and took it to the return line. The returns tech at first wouldn't accept it because it still powered up on the testing setup. I just said "Wait...." and kept her from disconnecting it (it took about 90 seconds to failure). Anyway- she marked it "RTS" (return to stock) and I asked her if that shouldn't be "Return to Vendor". The she scribbled it out- remarked it and approved the refund. I'll shop there once in a while but as mentioned in other posts you have to check things carefully to see if it's an unmarked repack without a "return" or open box label if it's full price. I've had other problems there but wont get into them here.

Wow! Did you get this message on your Voom guide?

I thought I was seeing things. Check out this message I had on my Voom guide tonight. Charles Dolan is OK by me...

attachment.php

:neener

Attachments

• Voom-Guide.jpg
    Voom-Guide.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 3,020
subdude212 said:
I thought I was seeing things. Check out this message I had on my Voom guide tonight. Charles Dolan is OK by me...

attachment.php

:D
OH MIGOD!!! :D Did I ever need that right now! Undoubtedly just a sweet dream...but I hope to see it in my waking hours...after 2/22! I've always liked a man with cajones...GO CHARLES!!
party-smiley-020.gif
@party :neener

Way to go subdude212!
action-smiley-085.gif

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)