more HD recording time?

madisonmom

madisonmom

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Aug 16, 2007
Is it just me or has Dish added more HD recording time to the 722vip receiver? I have at least 22+ hours of HD recorded and it's showing 38+ of HD recording left.

madisonmom

madisonmom

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Aug 16, 2007
Cool! So, MPEG4 = smaller files?

O

Opusnbill7

SatelliteGuys Family
Sep 11, 2008
Lincoln, NE
Yep. In general, it's a more efficient coding method, so for a given amount of time (say a 1 hour show), it will take up less space on the hard drive in the 722. Therefore, it has more "time" available for other recordings. :)

J

joeyjojojnr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 7, 2008
Yep. In general, it's a more efficient coding method, so for a given amount of time (say a 1 hour show), it will take up less space on the hard drive in the 722. Therefore, it has more "time" available for other recordings. :)

Does everyone now get mpeg4, or is that just eastern arc folks?

KKlare

KKlare

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 18, 2003
Los Alamos, NM
That's not quite true. All OTA is MPEG-2 including HD and can make for big files still at ~5000 MB/hr.

Some shows on HDNet and HDNet Movies are nearly the old MPEG-2 sizes ~4000 MB/hr vs. 2000 to 2800 MB/hr for most MPEG-4.Also true for SHO and TNT. Got to watch out for those at ~1800 as they are often 4x3. Encore is a real offender although they don't say (HD) but are on the HD channels with HD versions available, I think.

Maybe some big ones are just MPEG-4 wrappers on the old MPEG-2 files.
Not sure what is going on. Perhaps, you just get what you get? Viva good compression.

-Ken

MikeD-C05

MikeD-C05

Pub Member / Supporter
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 25, 2003
Nederland , Texas

Which is why I wanted eastern arc because all of the channels, both sd and hd, are in Mpeg 4

digiblur

digiblur

SatelliteGuys Master
Jun 8, 2005
Louisiana
That's not quite true. All OTA is MPEG-2 including HD and can make for big files still at ~5000 MB/hr.

Some shows on HDNet and HDNet Movies are nearly the old MPEG-2 sizes ~4000 MB/hr vs. 2000 to 2800 MB/hr for most MPEG-4.Also true for SHO and TNT. Got to watch out for those at ~1800 as they are often 4x3. Encore is a real offender although they don't say (HD) but are on the HD channels with HD versions available, I think.

Maybe some big ones are just MPEG-4 wrappers on the old MPEG-2 files.
Not sure what is going on. Perhaps, you just get what you get? Viva good compression.

-Ken

You are seeing the same size files on the new MPEG4 stuff on 110 because the bit rates really haven't changed since they haven't added any new channels to decrease the bit rates on those channels. So enjoy the better picture quality of some high bit rate MPEG4 channels.