More HD to move from 61.5 to 72.7?

I got on 129 and off of 61.5 but I also get a crappy signal for the HD locals. Now the National HD is fine but it's around 25 to 28 on a clear day for HD Locals and it's crappy weather now and it's gone out a few times. Storms are only going to get worse too. Only the locals went off as I left FOX HD running in PiP and it never got close to going out.

So I really want to get a better local HD signal and not sure what my best option is. Add 61.5 back and use a switch that let's you use 129 and it or dedicate that old dish to 129 to get a better peak and/or move ?

so by getting on 129 i got more channels but it kinda f'ed up my HD Locals which are what I mostly watch :/

fudge!

How about hooking up an OTA antenna? If that's not an option for you, a larger dish pointed at 129 will probably help you some depending on your location within the spot that carries your locals.

How about hooking up an OTA antenna? If that's not an option for you, a larger dish pointed at 129 will probably help you some depending on your location within the spot that carries your locals.

I tried that several times and it appears I have a hill blocking the signal from the west where it's about 35 miles away to my stations.

It seems it might be best to put the old dish at 129 and peak it as best as we can. I guess checking the peak on the dish 1000 would be the smartest thing to do just in case it's off a little. It's obvious the main problem here is the spotbeam is not that great to start with;/

I really don't want to 'move' to get that extra 5 to 10 points of signal but I might have to for those 'rainy' days.

thanks for the help I appreciate it.

If meridians on TP 6 it's about 35 too. I also think I can get mid 30's if I use a single dish to hit 129.
I will call the guy that did the work tomorrow adn see what he thinks as he is familiar with this area and what I might can squeeze out of it.

thanks for that signal info as it tells me a lot

...Dish would notify you if you don't have the proper equipment to receive any of your Internationals.
Little different then just not getting 9 HD channels.:).../QUOTE]

There really is no difference. Either way you are not receving a service that you are paying for. Dish did not think this through, that is obvious.Some get the issue resolved at no cost others have to pay $15.00. SOme get put on an "arc" others get a third dish. There doesn't seem to be any consistent solution. I wonder how long dish will be able to operate in this constant stae of confusion and not lose subs. Being the least expensive option ( in many instances) will not save them forever. And don't forget that there are many subs out there that don't even know they are missing out on channels, because they don't visit this forum. It would be interesting to know what a State AG's office would say about these business practices.

Ross

...Dish would notify you if you don't have the proper equipment to receive any of your Internationals.
Little different then just not getting 9 HD channels.:)...

There really is no difference. Either way you are not receving a service that you are paying for.
Ross
It is different, Your still getting SD.
And you were paying $10 before any of the new 9 channels launched right ?
You were paying $10 before the last 50 HD channels launched.

Now a customer that wants internationals, dish isn't going to flick a switch and charge you for them, If you can't receive them.
Big Difference, then a few HD channels that you lived without the past 4 years.

I tried that several times and it appears I have a hill blocking the signal from the west where it's about 35 miles away to my stations.

It seems it might be best to put the old dish at 129 and peak it as best as we can. I guess checking the peak on the dish 1000 would be the smartest thing to do just in case it's off a little. It's obvious the main problem here is the spotbeam is not that great to start with;/

I really don't want to 'move' to get that extra 5 to 10 points of signal but I might have to for those 'rainy' days.

thanks for the help I appreciate it.

What locals are you talking about? and what are your readings on TP 17 and above on 129? I know I get around 60-65 on CONUS and around 40-55 on the beams that I am under.

can anybody tell me why dish even broadcasts sd locals at all????
why not just broadcast hd locals to everyone on both arcs, regardless of cust equipment. whats the point of sd locals if they are all broadcast in digital hd now?

why not just broadcast hd locals to everyone on both arcs, regardless of cust equipment. whats the point of sd locals if they are all broadcast in digital hd now?

All locals are not broadcasted in digital now, still some analogs left out there...and even though a channel is digital doesn't mean they are HD. There was no law stating the station had to broadcast in HD.

They will get rid of any duplicate SD locals that they offered in HD on western arc once that DMA is transitioned to ViP receivers.

First, there is not enough bandwidth for that, and second, I'm betting the 5-10 million or so customers with MPEG2 equipment would be mad about losing locals.

All locals are not broadcasted in digital now, still some analogs left out there...and even though a channel is digital doesn't mean they are HD. There was no law stating the station had to broadcast in HD.

They will get rid of any duplicate SD locals that they offered in HD on western arc once that DMA is transitioned to ViP receivers.

i know. but the locals in my area ARE broadcast in hd. yet they are received on 110 in sd, and we need a 61.5 wing to get them in hd.
so my point is, why not remove the sd from 110 and put the hd on 110 or 129 also.

First, there is not enough bandwidth for that, and second, I'm betting the 5-10 million or so customers with MPEG2 equipment would be mad about losing locals.

i guess i assumed locals on hd could be viewed on mpeg2 receivers. i guess not. what a bunch of pain in the ass.

i guess i assumed locals on hd could be viewed on mpeg2 receivers. i guess not. what a bunch of pain in the ass.

All HD locals are broadcast in MPEG4 and using 8PSK, so that is two strikes for a bunch of receivers out there. Since all the receivers on EA are ViP, you'll notice when they get an HD feed of a local, they drop the SD feed.

Hi all. Sorry to re-open a thread that has been idle for over a month, but I wanted to express some issues I'm having and see what some of the experts out there in this forum think about my current situation. I have been browsing these forums for the past few months as a guest but finally broke down and created an account here. This particular thread is of great interest to me, given my recent transition into the HD world and the issues I've been having with Dish as of late. In order to ask the questions I want to ask, I need to go into detail, so here goes.

I became a Dish Network customer in December of 2007 after moving from Kaukauna, WI to Grand Chute (Appleton), WI. In Kaukauna, I was living in a duplex and had DirecTV. At that time I just had SD service. I didn't have an HDTV yet so I didn't care about HD at the time. Back then I loved DirecTV and never had issues with them. Well -- when we had to move into an apartment complex in Nov 2007, they told us if we wanted Satellite TV, we had to go with Dish Network. For some reason this complex does not allow DirecTV service for any tenants. When I asked why, they said because DirecTV's techs are careless and they have caused damage to the property when installing Dishes and equipment. Whatever. I wasn't about to fight with them. And I knew I didn't want CABLE because TWC here is nothing but a ripoff. So I went with Dish. Again, back in Dec of 2007 when I was set up, I still had an old tube TV so they just hooked me up with a single 311 box and a dish500 pointing to 110/119. Up until recently, this set-up was great and I never had any issues with Dish Network.

Fast forward to last Christmas. I used some bonus money and Xmas money to purchase a Phillips 42" LCD HDTV (supporting HDMI, 1080i/p, all the good stuff). I stayed with my 311 receiver and connected it via s-video to my new HDTV. Of course, the first thing I noticed was how crappy SD looks on a 42" widescreen HDTV. But at the time I didn't even want to mess with upgrading when I saw how much the new HD receivers were going for. So I lived with SD and enjoyed HDTV with my Blu-Ray player and Netflix HD streaming.

Fast forward to right after by birthday a few weeks ago... I was thinking about finding a Dish HD receiver. Granted, I am a novice when it comes to Satellite systems. I had NO idea that my current Dish500 pointed at 110/119 was not going to get me HD. I was ignorant and just thought I could get an HD box, activate it, hook up the existing dish feed into it, add HD service and poof!!! IF ONLY IT WAS THAT SIMPLE!!! Well, good news is I found a brand new ViP211k box being sold for $70. Yes, it was an ad on CraigsList but the deal went smoothly. It was new and in the box. The guy selling it used to be a Dish Network retailer and he had extra equipment he needed to get rid of. So I was all excited getting a list $160 receiver for $70. Got it home and hooked it up. Activated it via Dish Network and we got it working with my current package (top 250). The rep goes "would you like to add HD for $10 a month?" Of course I said yes. As he's going to add it he says "oh, sorry sir. You only have a Dish500 with 110/119. We will need to send a tech out to upgrade your dish in order to get HD. This will be $95." Now that is when I started to get a little upset. Well the nice CSR I had on the line was able to calm me down a bit and talk me in to the $95 charge. I wasn't happy about it, but I caved in, wanting to just get this mess over with...

So this past Friday a tech came out to "upgrade' my dish. When it was all done he came in the house to make sure I could get my HD channels. Indeed I did. But I asked him, "so do I just have one big dish now?" He said no. "You have the existing 500 still pointing at 110/119 and a wing dish pointed at 61.5!" At the time I didn't know what that meant. I was just happy to have my HD channels. But after playing around with my channel guide, it still seemed to me like some HD channels were missing. Hallmark HD, for example -- don't have it. And TruTV HD. Both DishNetwork's web-site and ZAP2it.com tell me I should be able to get those in HD. But they aren't on my program guide. So Saturday night and Sunday I begin searching around on the web. I found this thread and am absolutely pissed off that they just came out and put me on 61.5 when they KNOW they're going to be moving most national HD to 72.7??? And those 9 new HD channels that launched in Feb.... I can't even get them at all and never will? I agree with some of the other posters here -- why am I paying $10 a month for HD and why did I just pay $95 and I STILL can't get all the HD channels that they are advertising?? That's a crock of...(you now what).

So my questions are this... Am I going to be one of those "few" customers that will get a letter saying I need to "upgrade," YET AGAIN? And are they going to try and charge me another $95? If so, they are going to lose me. I'd rather go back to TWC cable than deal with this crap again! I'm just furious that they charged me $95 to "upgrade" my dish installation but they didn't put me on an arc setup -- they just did a wing dish to 61.5. I'm not an "early adapter" who has been running on 110/119/61.5 for years. I JUST GOT THIS HOOKED UP 3 days ago!! I just don't get why they would do that? It's almost like they did it on purpose because now in about 6 months, they will give me some line of crap about needing another $95 service charge! Not happening. I think I might write a letter to the CEO about this... What do you all think? And please bear with me. As I said, I am fairly new to understanding Dish Network's Satellite system -- but I know enough now to understand that Dish Network completely screwed me over. And the next dish "upgrade" had BETTER BE FREE.

Hi all. Sorry to re-open a thread that has been idle for over a month, but I wanted to express some issues I'm having and see what some of the experts out there in this forum think about my current situation. I have been browsing these forums for the past few months as a guest but finally broke down and created an account here. This particular thread is of great interest to me, given my recent transition into the HD world and the issues I've been having with Dish as of late. In order to ask the questions I want to ask, I need to go into detail, so here goes.

I became a Dish Network customer in December of 2007 after moving from Kaukauna, WI to Grand Chute (Appleton), WI. In Kaukauna, I was living in a duplex and had DirecTV. At that time I just had SD service. I didn't have an HDTV yet so I didn't care about HD at the time. Back then I loved DirecTV and never had issues with them. Well -- when we had to move into an apartment complex in Nov 2007, they told us if we wanted Satellite TV, we had to go with Dish Network. For some reason this complex does not allow DirecTV service for any tenants. When I asked why, they said because DirecTV's techs are careless and they have caused damage to the property when installing Dishes and equipment. Whatever. I wasn't about to fight with them. And I knew I didn't want CABLE because TWC here is nothing but a ripoff. So I went with Dish. Again, back in Dec of 2007 when I was set up, I still had an old tube TV so they just hooked me up with a single 311 box and a dish500 pointing to 110/119. Up until recently, this set-up was great and I never had any issues with Dish Network.

Fast forward to last Christmas. I used some bonus money and Xmas money to purchase a Phillips 42" LCD HDTV (supporting HDMI, 1080i/p, all the good stuff). I stayed with my 311 receiver and connected it via s-video to my new HDTV. Of course, the first thing I noticed was how crappy SD looks on a 42" widescreen HDTV. But at the time I didn't even want to mess with upgrading when I saw how much the new HD receivers were going for. So I lived with SD and enjoyed HDTV with my Blu-Ray player and Netflix HD streaming.

Fast forward to right after by birthday a few weeks ago... I was thinking about finding a Dish HD receiver. Granted, I am a novice when it comes to Satellite systems. I had NO idea that my current Dish500 pointed at 110/119 was not going to get me HD. I was ignorant and just thought I could get an HD box, activate it, hook up the existing dish feed into it, add HD service and poof!!! IF ONLY IT WAS THAT SIMPLE!!! Well, good news is I found a brand new ViP211k box being sold for $70. Yes, it was an ad on CraigsList but the deal went smoothly. It was new and in the box. The guy selling it used to be a Dish Network retailer and he had extra equipment he needed to get rid of. So I was all excited getting a list $160 receiver for $70. Got it home and hooked it up. Activated it via Dish Network and we got it working with my current package (top 250). The rep goes "would you like to add HD for $10 a month?" Of course I said yes. As he's going to add it he says "oh, sorry sir. You only have a Dish500 with 110/119. We will need to send a tech out to upgrade your dish in order to get HD. This will be $95." Now that is when I started to get a little upset. Well the nice CSR I had on the line was able to calm me down a bit and talk me in to the $95 charge. I wasn't happy about it, but I caved in, wanting to just get this mess over with...

So this past Friday a tech came out to "upgrade' my dish. When it was all done he came in the house to make sure I could get my HD channels. Indeed I did. But I asked him, "so do I just have one big dish now?" He said no. "You have the existing 500 still pointing at 110/119 and a wing dish pointed at 61.5!" At the time I didn't know what that meant. I was just happy to have my HD channels. But after playing around with my channel guide, it still seemed to me like some HD channels were missing. Hallmark HD, for example -- don't have it. And TruTV HD. Both DishNetwork's web-site and ZAP2it.com tell me I should be able to get those in HD. But they aren't on my program guide. So Saturday night and Sunday I begin searching around on the web. I found this thread and am absolutely pissed off that they just came out and put me on 61.5 when they KNOW they're going to be moving most national HD to 72.7??? And those 9 new HD channels that launched in Feb.... I can't even get them at all and never will? I agree with some of the other posters here -- why am I paying $10 a month for HD and why did I just pay $95 and I STILL can't get all the HD channels that they are advertising?? That's a crock of...(you now what).

So my questions are this... Am I going to be one of those "few" customers that will get a letter saying I need to "upgrade," YET AGAIN? And are they going to try and charge me another $95? If so, they are going to lose me. I'd rather go back to TWC cable than deal with this crap again! I'm just furious that they charged me $95 to "upgrade" my dish installation but they didn't put me on an arc setup -- they just did a wing dish to 61.5. I'm not an "early adapter" who has been running on 110/119/61.5 for years. I JUST GOT THIS HOOKED UP 3 days ago!! I just don't get why they would do that? It's almost like they did it on purpose because now in about 6 months, they will give me some line of crap about needing another $95 service charge! Not happening. I think I might write a letter to the CEO about this... What do you all think? And please bear with me. As I said, I am fairly new to understanding Dish Network's Satellite system -- but I know enough now to understand that Dish Network completely screwed me over. And the next dish "upgrade" had BETTER BE FREE.

Dish most likely will not charge you for the next visit to exchange your dish.
In the past, when Dish migrated channels from one orbital slot to another, the compnay would alert their customers to the move and subsequently contact them for a date to exchenge the dish. This was always done free of charge.
As for the tech, it is likely he did not know of the migration. Or his employer is not stocked with the proper antennas.
I just looked at the DMA map and it appears you reside in the Green Bay DMA. That DMA gets it's HD locals from the 61.5 slot. Therefore you are in an Eastern Arc market. That said, you should be eligible for a free of charge swap to and Eastern Arc( 61.5, 72.7 77) Dish....Call Dish Network and go from there.

I am assuming that you receive either the Milwaukee or Green Bay locals. These are both located on 61.5. You should have been upgraded to an EA (Eastern Arc) dish since you seem to be an EA market. Call Dish Network (E*) back (go to technical support) and tell them you are still having problems receiving the HD channels that you are paying for. Insist on the EA dish to replace your current two dish setup. Most of techs don't know about the EA migration of HD channels to 72.7. Good luck and let us know how it works out. Welcome to SatelliteGuys.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts