More n00bs lately?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

guapoharry

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 19, 2006
32ºN 111ºW
Is it just me, or does it seem like there are more n00bs around here lately?

Not complaining, just making an observation.

We embrace the new folks and all their questions :)
No question too stupid....well there is one ;)

Yea, the last few months has shown quite the influx of new blood!
Welcome to 'em all! - :D
Glad you chose SatelliteGuys as your new home.

I do wish they wouldn't ask how to get real FTA on 18..22 inch dishes...
... but some stroll in with nice receivers and 36" dishes!
Happy to teach 'em all about diseqc, 22khz, and multiswitches, along with motors, if they like!

Welcome aboard! - :up

you think there's n00bs here, you should try to count them at some of the win7 forums. everybody and his brother is a windows pirate nowadays.

An awesome book to read is "Television's Pirates" by Bob Cooper. I've read it from cover to cover twice (all 928 pages). The book shows how some of the earliest television pirates set up relay towers to bring tv to their small areas because they weren't served by a local broadcaster. The cable systems were also television pirates in 'stealing' the over-the-air broadcasts and selling those signals to subscribers. The whole C-Band satellite industry was built on "piracy" really - people wanting to get HBO and ESPN for free.

Until about 6 or 7 years ago, reprogramming DirecTV cards was LEGAL in Canada. I can remember reading the paper on Saturday mornings and seeing ads where the guy would come to your house with a laptop and card programmer and reprogram your card for $25 cash.

I think that it is cool that some of the people who bought pirate "FTA" gear are actually starting to use it for legit FTA. It'll help the hobby grow, and will keep the FTA industry alive. SatelliteAV and Sadoun must be seeing an increase in sales of 33 to 39 inch dishes these days.. :)

Some of the newbies likely will come up with some tricks that we hadn't thought of to fine-tune our dishes to get the maximum signal quality out of it..

An awesome book to read is "Television's Pirates" by Bob Cooper. I've read it from cover to cover twice (all 928 pages). The book shows how some of the earliest television pirates set up relay towers to bring tv to their small areas because they weren't served by a local broadcaster. The cable systems were also television pirates in 'stealing' the over-the-air broadcasts and selling those signals to subscribers. The whole C-Band satellite industry was built on "piracy" really - people wanting to get HBO and ESPN for free.

Until about 6 or 7 years ago, reprogramming DirecTV cards was LEGAL in Canada. I can remember reading the paper on Saturday mornings and seeing ads where the guy would come to your house with a laptop and card programmer and reprogram your card for $25 cash.

I think that it is cool that some of the people who bought pirate "FTA" gear are actually starting to use it for legit FTA. It'll help the hobby grow, and will keep the FTA industry alive. SatelliteAV and Sadoun must be seeing an increase in sales of 33 to 39 inch dishes these days.. :)

Some of the newbies likely will come up with some tricks that we hadn't thought of to fine-tune our dishes to get the maximum signal quality out of it..

Your optimism exceedes mine...:D

Nevertheless, Wow what an excellent reference, Davage.

Bob Cooper's website
Home Page | Far North Cablevision Ltd
is pretty cool also.

I would like to have ordered the book directly from his website, but the security looks pretty bad... Oh, never mind... the page linked to from the submit button is 404...

Your optimism exceedes mine...:D

Nevertheless, Wow what an excellent reference, Davage.

Bob Cooper's website
Home Page | Far North Cablevision Ltd
is pretty cool also.

I would like to have ordered the book directly from his website, but the security looks pretty bad... Oh, never mind... the page linked to from the submit button is 404...
Cooper hasnt updated his page for a few years now. I was worried about him for awhile, but hear hes doing good.

I have a copy of "Television Pirates" here on my desk, its a great read. I remember fighting with Coop over this book, I wanted to buy it and he wanted to give it to me. I eventually won. :)

Inside Bob signed it for me, and now it is one of my most treasured satellite memories.

If your reading this Bob thank you, please drop an email sometime and let me know all is good.

Attachments

• coop2.jpg
    coop2.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts