More Newbie questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

equium

Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
Sacramento
I have decided to kick Comcast to the curb and go with Direct TV. I have a couple of questions.
I don't currently have and HDTV, but plan to get one within the next 12 months.
Should I just get the HD DVR receiver now or will they allow me to upgrade later?
Can I have the HD DVR and not have the HD Service yet?
Will I have a display issue sending an HD signal to a non-HD TV?
Do I still need a phone line with the HD DVR since it I can connect it to my home LAN?
Thanks for reading

I recommend getting the HR DVR now, since new customers get the best deals you'll probably get it for free, later it might be $99 or $199. You can hook them up to a SD TV, via S-Video or composite video, works fine, and you'll get a very nice picture on the HD channels, which brings up the HD access fee, you'll need to pay it as soon as you have a HD box on your account. And no, you don't need a phone line, it will report any PPV purchases back via your internet connection.

You're only a virgin once. Go for all you can.

In addition to what rad said, don't tell them you don't have an HDTV. It will confuse them horribly and possibly prevent them from entering the order.

Yep get one from the get go. You will have to pay for HD access but those channels will look better on a SDTV although they won't be HD. No you do not need a phone line.

Thanks for the answers so far. I currently have Comcast and an 80 hour Replay TV. I really like my DVR, but the single tuner is frustrating. I was about to go the Tivo route and keep comcast, but I think Direct TV is for me. again, thanks

Oh, another question: I know installation is free, but will they charge me for the dish and LNBs? Is there "nickle and dime" on the install? thanks

No they won't charge for a dish, LNB's or any switches necessary for your installation. What they will charge is if you want anything special, like a pole mount, or special wiring requests like a wall fish.

In my area the only ones who charge for pole mounst/wallfishes are contractors.. I know im probably going to get a few threats for this one.. but if a guys shows up to do your install and he is not in a Directv van I would send him away.. If you want a completetly free professional install I would try to ask the sales rep for a Directv employee.

I mean no offence to any of you pov guys, but its been my experience that some contractors do the work to a minimal standard. Not all but some.

A couple of more questions if I may:
Are the HR23's being installed or are they still slowly rolling them out?
And, if I recieve local channels from DirectTv, what is the benefit of an AM21 OTA tuner?
Thanks, I really appreciate the info.

Last edited:
A couple of more questions if I may:
Are the HR23's being installed or are they still slowly rolling them out?
And, if I recieve local channels from DirectTv, what is the benefit of an AM21 OTA tuner?
Thanks, I really appreciate the info.
People are getting HR23's with new installations, but no guarantee you will get one. If you already get your locals, the only reason to get the AM21 is for the additional locals that you won't get with D*. Typically, you get the 4 major networks and a couple others, but not all of them.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)