More on Dish HDCP

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Ok here is some more information about HDCP on Dish Network. This was from a recent document they sent to dealers.

Tech News
• New HDCP Rules – The TV industry is moving toward using HDCP technology next year. HDCP stands for High-bandwidth Digital Copy Protection.
o Types of connections – We can connect a receiver to a display device using an HDMI cable, an HDMI to DVI adapter cable (if the display has a DVI connection on it), or Component cables. Using HDMI or DVI to an HDCP-compliant display is optimal in light of the new HDCP rules.
– To find out whether or not an HD display device is HDCP compliant (Most ViP receivers will have this feature in the near future):
? Connect an HD display device to a ViP-series receiver using a good quality HDMI or DVI cable of an appropriate length.
? Next, open the Receiver’s System Information screen using MENU 6-1-3 – for the next step, you can’t just press the front panel SYS INFO button. Use the Next button at the bottom of the SYS Info screen to move to the “System Info Two” menu.
? Take notice of the “Digital Connection” line. If it says “Yes,” the receiver detects that there is an HDMI or DVI connection from the receiver to the digital display device.
? Then take notice of the “HDCP” line. If it says “No,” this means that the digital display device is not HDCP compliant.
? To view HDCP-protected content in full quality, a customer would need to upgrade to a TV that is HDCP compliant. In the meantime, this customer can use Component cables for a connection.
? In summary, if the HD receiver is connected with HDMI or DVI cables to an HDCP-compliant TV, the customer should be HDCP compliant. If the TV is not HDCP-compliant, use Component cables in the connection for the next best image for protected content.

It looks like its coming folks, and if your HDTV only has component inputs some of your HD will be down resed to the "Next best image" possible because of the protected content.

Thanks Scott. Time to ask Santa for one last TV with HDMI input to replace one that will become non-compliant.

BTW: How much more down resed can they go!!!

Let me add one more thing here...

I don't think Dish wants to do this... I think Dish Network is being FORCED by program providers to do this...

I also think the same time this is turned on for Dish Network customers, it will also be enabled at the same time for DirecTV customers.

I think they are getting ready for the future. :(

Assuming that this does occur in 2008 (or so). Is this likely the movie networks that would be affected? Or are we potentially looking at this for every HD channel? And is this unique to Dish or are Direct, Verizon, and the Cable companies going to have to do this as well?

Since we may be moving cities in 6 months, and don't know where we'd live, we've hesitated on getting Dish. The more I hear of this, the happier I am that we've waited.

• New HDCP Rules – The TV industry is moving toward using HDCP technology next year. HDCP stands for High-bandwidth Digital Copy Protection.
Sounds like the programmers are the ones to blame for this and not E*. I wonder how long it'll be before D* and the cable companies start talking about the new HDCP stuff.

And how does this effect OTA HD broadcasts?

Dish must be anticipating HD-DVD and BR recorders. If the ICT flag is turned on the image is limited to 960 x 540.

If true, then E* better fix the HDMI connector problem on the 622!

I'm assuming by flagging it at the receiver, HD recordings on the hard drive BEFORE the change won't work after they turn HDCP on.

I have a 622 connected to an HDMI 1x2 switch running to a home theater projector and an LCD flat-panel. For only $66.00 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 1X2 Powered HDMI Splitter | HDMI Active/Powered Splitter

Now what happens when they turn on HDCP? Which display does it recognize?

I guess I'll believe it when I see it. I think this is just Dish's way of prepping for the future...distant future. I think it is there way of getting installers to use HDMI whenever possible. If broadcasters were really going to do this next year don't you think we'd here about it elsewhere and there would be a ton of uproar? HD DVD and Blu-Ray have a "gentlemens agreement" that they won't turn on the flag for a few years. And comparing those to DishHD is like already having the flag set by Dish. :)

I guess I'll believe it when I see it. I think this is just Dish's way of prepping for the future...distant future. I think it is there way of getting installers to use HDMI whenever possible. If broadcasters were really going to do this next year don't you think we'd here about it elsewhere and there would be a ton of uproar? HD DVD and Blu-Ray have a "gentlemens agreement" that they won't turn on the flag for a few years. And comparing those to DishHD is like already having the flag set by Dish. :)

Yes, but this is the broadcaster/studios NOT the DVD forums.....

Dish must be anticipating HD-DVD and BR recorders. If the ICT flag is turned on the image is limited to 960 x 540.

If this is true this could spell real trouble for me b/c I am pretty sure my TV only displays 480i/p and 1080i. I am sure I am not the only in that situation.

If this is true this could spell real trouble for me b/c I am pretty sure my TV only displays 480i/p and 1080i. I am sure I am not the only in that situation.

I think think the main thing is having a input that supports the HDCP standard which is going to be DVI or HDMI. 1080i is fine main thing for people to look at here is their video inputs and I know on some Sony models heck they even mark the input if its supports the HDCP so it will come down to your model and manufacture and what inputs you have. So basically sounds like to me you need to have at least a DVI input or one above it which is HDMI. If you have those two DVI,HDMI they should be HDCP compliant if your not for sure look at your TV Manual should say in there what the inputs are compliant to you might half to go to their site. Like Scott said this is out of the hands of the TV Service Providers hands Dish,Direct, Cable so forth so just something that was coming and could not put it off forever.

I have a Pannasonic ED plasma from 2003. It pre-dated HDCP. There was an optional DVI card available for it, but it was not HDCP compliant.

I don't know if I need to worry, since my Display is just a ED set. But I do know that the PQ is better if my receiver is set to 1080i and I let the Panasonic hardware downrez it, rather than setting the receiver to 480p where it looks poor.

I thought 1080i (1920x1080) was the highest resolution currently used by broadcast and satellite TV. HD-DVD and BR disc do 1080p but not broadcast. If you have HDMI or DVI then you should be fine.

I think think the main thing is having a input that supports the HDCP standard which is going to be DVI or HDMI. 1080i is fine main thing for people to look at here is their video inputs and I know on some Sony models heck they even mark the input if its supports the HDCP so it will come down to your model and manufacture and what inputs you have. So basically sounds like to me you need to have at least a DVI input or one above it which is HDMI. If you have those two DVI,HDMI they should be HDCP compliant if your not for sure look at your TV Manual should say in there what the inputs are compliant to you might half to go to their site. Like Scott said this is out of the hands of the TV Service Providers hands Dish,Direct, Cable so forth so just something that was coming and could not put it off forever.

Well a sigh of relief for me at least, mine does support HDCP (after checking the manual). But my concern is for the early adopters that don't have DVI HDCP compliant tv's and resolution gets dropped to 540 which a lot of early sets didn't support, I am thinking this could be a problem. If I input 720p to mine I don't get a picture. Just a thought.

So my HDTV that I paid two thousand bucks for will become a SDTV sometime next year because it only has component input.

I smell a BIG class action lawsuit brewing. It will name Dish, Direct, the cable companies, the TV manufacturers and the content providers as defendants.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts