More problems with Charter Cable High Speed Internet)

IcEWoLF

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 31, 2006
Nevada
Here is what I wrote to them:

Hello and good evening,
I have been having a number of problems with my charter cable.
The main problems are I am unable to browse some specific websites, which I did use my friends AT&T connection and it worked fine browsing those websites, and I thought the issue was with my computer, however we switched computers, and the same problem still occurs. I think there is something wrong with Charter's cable routing.
The websites that I am trying to view is nationvoice.com , the website doesn't browse for me, but when I visit the website on my buddy's computer it works (let me remind you he is with AT&T).
The 2nd website that I cannot view is kenetix.net (well I can view it, but it just loads too slowly) the website loads very fast on my buddy's AT&T connection, and he uses 6Mbps.
This doesn’t make any sense, I have 10 Mbps connection.
Charter, I've been a customer with you guys over 5 years now, and I've never had this problems, but lately I've been having this issue for too long, and this needs to be fixed soon, or I will be forced to switch companies.

And here is the answer I get from them...
It sounds like they think I am some kinda computer NOOB...

Dear Charter Customer,

Thank you so much for contacting Charter Communications. I am Mark, and I would be glad to assist you with your slow speeds problem.

I'm sorry to hear about this problem. Please try checking your wirings and make sure that your modem is in a place free from any static interference.

Please also try clearing cookies. If you are using a router/VoIP box, please try bypassing it, then do a powercycle of your modem. These are the steps:

1) Turn off the cable modem if it has an on/off switch. Otherwise, unplug the modem from its power source (your wall outlet, surge protector, etc.) Keep the Cable Modem turned off.
2) If you are also using a router, hub, or other networking device in addition to your Charter Cable Modem, please turn off those devices and unplug them as well. Keep the networking device turned off.
3) Shut down your computer. (Keep the computer turned off). Do not immediately restart the computer.
4) Keep everything off for at least one minute.
5) Plug the cable modem back into its power source. If it has an on/off switch, please turn it back on, and wait for the lights to return to normal.
6) If you are using a networking device in addition to your Charter Cable Modem, please reconnect its power source, and wait for the lights to return to normal.
7) Restart your computer and try to connect to the internet.

After doing all these, please try checking your Internet speed. You may use 2Wire.com: Home. Please take note that Charter can only guarantee 70% of the speed.

If you've already done all these steps and the problem still exists, then a technician might be needed to resolve this issue. In order for us to be able to schedule one to come to your house, please contact us either through chat via Charter Communications - Home Page or by calling our toll-free hotline at 1-888-438-2427.

If you have further questions, please let me know.

I would like to encourage you to visit our website, Charter Communications - Home Page for further information and assistance regarding any of your services. There are self-help options available for you there.

We would like to inform you that Charter ePay is now available in our website. Registration is for free so register now for hassle free payment.

God bless you and have a good day!

Sincerely Yours,
Mark
Internet E-mail and Support Team
Charter Communications

If you have any additional questions regarding your Charter services, you may contact us by calling the telephone number listed on your bill or work order. You can also use our live chat feature located on our website at Charter Communications - Home Page and local contact information can found at http://www.charter.com/service/contact/contact.asp

Thank You
Charter Communications

I am not sure but I "think" someone had this problem before and it was something like they needed to refresh thier DNS servers or something with the user's HOSTS file needing to be cleared; or even maybe using a firewall software that has blocked that site or IP. Maybe this will help spur some helpful dialog.

I too was able to browse to this URL from home and work. Neither are with Charter.

the BBR Main FAQ directs me to the same Security related issue, which is not...my problem.
I've already re-installed windows about a week ago...and I don't visit any websites that is related to spyware.

Its been going on for 5 months now...nothing...they are a failure..
I am paying nearly close to 40$ monthly for 10mbps down and 1mbps up.
I want to go with AT&T.
They offer 6Mbps down and 768kbps up for 35$...decent price...

That is what I have had for a long time now and NEVER had any issues; service, billing, or other. I prefer it to cable even at the somewhat faster "LISTED" cable speed.

Charter is phail, their support just doesn't understand...
Charper1, who do you use for HS internet?

Jared, I tried that, but it won't help.
I am 100% sure its something with my ISP.
I tried my work ISP (private network High speed) and that worked, I was able to browse the websites that I wasn't able to browse at my home.
This is very annoying.
Any last suggestions before I call AT&T...and cancel Charter High Speed Internet after 5+ years.

I have at&t at home, and we also have it at the office... and we never really have any problems.
The 1 or 2 problems we have had over the years at the office have been fixed pretty quickly.
At the house I have a regular dsl modem, and my own wireless routers and stuff hooked up. At the office we have their gateway/modem thing, and it works fine.

Cool, how is their tech support?

Btw how much do you pay monthly?
I am planning to get their Wireless gateway router..it looks great.

The same $35 plus tax deal you mentioned above.

I have NEVER needed their tech support; not once, EVER! In 3+ years.

The CS when I have called to ask questions about sign up, and the times I have called to see if there might be any deals or upgrades, have been absolutely fantastic.

Do not get the gear they push at their prices or rental; get your own well researched gear. Also, no matter who's DSL you end up with, DO NOT use that installer software they offer; do a full manual install/setup on your own. You will thank me later.

I will mention that I have experienced an outage or two over that time, but in each case it was not an AT&T issue that required dealing with tech support. Power outage city-wide and idiots having a car wreck taking out boxes and/or polls. That can happen any where at any time.

This is beyond retardness, ATT wants to charge me 200$ for installation, I wanted the self-install kit, and they won't do it for me.
This is getting very annoying, and its getting too annoying very fast.

The same $35 plus tax deal you mentioned above.

I have NEVER needed their tech support; not once, EVER! In 3+ years.

The CS when I have called to ask questions about sign up, and the times I have called to see if there might be any deals or upgrades, have been absolutely fantastic.

Do not get the gear they push at their prices or rental; get your own well researched gear. Also, no matter who's DSL you end up with, DO NOT use that installer software they offer; do a full manual install/setup on your own. You will thank me later.

I'll get their 2wire Wireless gateway modem.
Other than that, No I will not install any softwares...I know those softwares have bunch of crap that you don't need.
BTW don't you have to install the software to make the wireless gateway work properly?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts