More tech info needed on a chaparral feedhorn

Status
Please reply by conversation.

techno935

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 27, 2006
Pompano Beach, FL
OK, I have a dual feedhorn setup, with one LNB on vertical, another on horizontal. There are 2 coax lines coming out of this setup. With that said, the only way to combine these 2 is a Diseqc switch? Or, is there another way?

Just wanna be sure I cover all my bases on my future setup. Gotta know if I need separate dish settings in the Coolsat 4000 for both polarities on each bird.

I know this isn't a problem with most C-band receivers (4dtv/older analogs), cause they have 2 separate inputs for V and H. Considering that aspect, is there still voltage involved if both polarities are accounted for within the receiver?? Or is the voltage still needed to run the LNB itself.

Now that I confused everyone, I'll hope to hear from you all hopefully soon on this one. :)

Last edited:
Hi Techno935,

If you have a typical Chaparral Co-Rotor II, you can run the C-Band LNB cable to a port on a Diseqc swith, and the KU to a second port, and can see both sides.

To change polarities, you will need either an analog receiver, or a DVB receiver that can control a poloroter. Pansat 2700a, and Pansat 3500S can. Much more expensive ones can as well. Normal LNB's that work on a Co-rotor are not voltage controlled.

With your current setup, an analog receiver with the Coolsat 4000 slaved to it would be your best bet. This diagram will tell you how to slave the Coolsat to an analog receiver.

If this setup is on a big dish, you can also let the analog receiver move the dish for you if it came with an actuator.

You should list out the pieces of your setup with more particulars to make it easier for everyone to help you.

Dish size?
Do you have an actuator to move the dish?
Is it a Chaparall Co-Rotor II feehorn?

You get the idea.

Fred

I think I know the type of setup you're talking about. Yes, you can use a Diseqc switch to enable both LNBs to be used by the receiver. For example, you would select Diseqc port 1, 18v, 10750 LO, single LNB for one LNB. You can then select Diseqc port 2, 18v, 10750 LO, single LNB for the other LNB. That would get both signals to your receiver. The 18 volts is required to power the LNBs. If you have one available, you could also use a 0/22 khz multi-switch to switch between the 2 LNBs using the same techinque as the Diseqc switch. As far as the receiver's software works for accepting the frequency information, you may have to actually setup 2 different satellites for each different satellite, like Sat A vert and then Sat A horz. I don't have this type of receiver but I looked in the owner's manual and didn't see any place where you could split a satellite into the two seperate polarities. It may require some playing about with the menus to get what you want. Also here's an experiment I would personally try but I can't endorse, I would use a splitter to feed both LNBs to the input at the same time. The problems that might be encountered could be--does the receiver have enough power to operate both LNBs at the same time or how would the receiver handle transponders close to the same frequency but different polarities? I wouldn't suggest you try something like that unless you have previous experience with these receivers or you're willing to see something smoke. Good luck and have fun.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts