More than 3 HD TV's

JamesThurber

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 12, 2005
Spokane, WA
Is it possible to have a DISH account and have enough HD receivers/DVR's for more than 3 HD tv's? I have an associate that is currently on DirecTV and has 5 HD tv's, 3 of which are DVR's. I was trying to see if he could switch to Dish based on the channels he watches and it looks good but when I was checking online and talking with a CSR they said that only 3 of his tv's would be able to get an HD source. Ideally based on his needs I would like to see him with a 922, a 612, and 3 HD receivers like the 211. Alternately I think that he could make it with 2 612's, and 3 211's. Either way he is under the 6 tuner level. Any help and information on this would be greatly appreciated.

Number of HD receivers

He can have more than 3 HD receivers/dvr's, but he may have to purchase some of them vs leasing them. I currently have a 722,722,622,622, and a 211k but I own all of them.

He won't be able to lease all of the receivers but should be able to get more than three.

Chances are pretty good that the monthly fees will be prohibitive for a residential account.

He can have more than 3 HD receivers/dvr's, but he may have to purchase some of them vs leasing them. I currently have a 722,722,622,622, and a 211k but I own all of them.
How much are they dinging you for receiver fees per month?

Number of HD receivers

Too much! Dish basically charges you the same whether you own or lease your receivers which is unfair. However, you can own as many dvr's as you wish as opposed to the limit on leased dvr's. Also, I prefer not to enter a two-year commitment with any utility so that I can feel free to tell them to shove-it if I become dissatisfied with their service. I also do all of my own installation which you are normally unable to do if you lease.

6 of the 612s will give 6 HD TVs each with its own DVR. Dish charges $10/month though per box (first one free). So, it adds up quickly at $50/month.

If you want DVR and HD to 6 TVs you have 3 choices (or mix and match) - Remember first box free:

1. 6 211ks with external USB disks: 5x$7/month = $35
2. 6 612s = 5x$10/month = $50 + $6/month DVR fee = $56
3. 3 922s = 2x$17/month = $34/month + $10/month DVR fee = $44

#1 has a one time fee to get the external USB disk capability for the account

#3 has the issue of an HD sling catcher yet to be released and unknown $$. One assumes you can match up 3 catchers with 3 922s. But, since it has not been released the features and capabilities are unknown.

There are advantages/disadvantages to each one. Essentially you get to record 1 item per DVR (plus OTA) with option 1, 2 items per DVR with option 2 & 3.

Combo of receivers

If you want DVR and HD to 6 TVs you have 3 choices (or mix and match) - Remember first box free:

1. 6 211ks with external USB disks: 5x$7/month = $35
2. 6 612s = 5x$10/month = $50 + $6/month DVR fee = $56
3. 3 922s = 2x$17/month = $34/month + $10/month DVR fee = $44

#1 has a one time fee to get the external USB disk capability for the account

#3 has the issue of an HD sling catcher yet to be released and unknown $$. One assumes you can match up 3 catchers with 3 922s. But, since it has not been released the features and capabilities are unknown.

There are advantages/disadvantages to each one. Essentially you get to record 1 item per DVR (plus OTA) with option 1, 2 items per DVR with option 2 & 3.
OK the combination of the different type of receivers & DVR's can be a minor pain. IN that if you plan on having the outboard HDD's hooked up to the 211k's they can't be moved to the the VIP DVR's. It's fine if you use nothing but 211k's though. You can move them around then. But if you have both VIP DVR's (612, 622, 722, 722k, or 922) then you can't move the 211k HDD to the others as they are not compatible. The best choice could very well be 3 of the 922's once the sling features are up and running. This way you would only have to additional DVR fees of 17 each (price isn't as bad as many say since it is a combined fee that used to be broken down in the past). It is competitive with many cable providers with their craptastic DVR's. With 3 922's and sling working you run in what is known as dual mode and 2 TV's can be run off each unit (the remote controls for the 2nd TV on each is UHF). So if your friend can wait a bit to change over he would have the best rated DVR out there and a reasonable monthly fee structure. With having only the 3 he would be able just to lease all the units as well.

James, one thing you may want to consider, if applicable, is how many people are watching different shows at a time.

If the number is small you could run 50' or so of HDMI to the remote HD sets and use the component output to the closer one. The HDMI output can be split to several sets with an amplified adaptor costing less (one time) than the monthly rental fees you would pay Dish.

James, one thing you may want to consider, if applicable, is how many people are watching different shows at a time.

If the number is small you could run 50' or so of HDMI to the remote HD sets and use the component output to the closer one. The HDMI output can be split to several sets with an amplified adaptor costing less (one time) than the monthly rental fees you would pay Dish.

That is one thing that I considered for my associate but the problem is that the way his house is built there is not any easy way to run new cable anywhere. It is a large home but was not built with any idea of central distribution of anything.

If it is one-level and over a basement or crawlspace it might be easy enough to use wall plates and drill through the wall's footer. That would be neater than directly drilling into the flooring, which might be tile or such. With a second story, you would have to be more careful in dropping holes through the walls (expect cross braces) or dangling down the wall. I wish I had the foresight to put in tubes while the walls were remodeled but when the time came there was only a couple of days to do it. (That's what is meant by foresight.)
-Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)