More than one Genie box

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I will confirm that our hardware will work with two genies connected and I'm fairly positive I know someone with three. It's all about the clients right now. What has to be done to make the system work with clients is well beyond a normal install and most installers networking knowledge. Plus an advanced network is needed on your routers end. So directv is not going to allow this for customers anytime soon. Unless they change the way clients connect. Which is highly unlikely.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I will confirm that our hardware will work with two genies connected and I'm fairly positive I know someone with three. It's all about the clients right now. What has to be done to make the system work with clients is well beyond a normal install and most installers networking knowledge. Plus an advanced network is needed on your routers end. So directv is not going to allow this for customers anytime soon. Unless they change the way clients connect. Which is highly unlikely.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Thats fine to not allow more than one if the clients are an issue.
How about letting those that are not using clients have more than one.
I'd like to have one in the Motor Home as well as the house.
Hr24s being used as the other recvrs at the moment, have no need for a client.

It's nothing to do with a DECA bandwidth limitation. People have whole home/DECA installations with far more

Perhaps a bit off topic, but there is a sports bar near me that has at least 25 large flat-screen TVs. I asked the waitress about the setup. She said it is DirecTV. I asked how many Genie boxes that have in the back, thinking there must have been a cabinet somewhere with a stack of Genies. She said there is no such cabinet and each TV has its own little box mounted on the back. So they have to walk up to each TV with a remote to change the channels. They do use the same remotes for all the TVs though.

Presumably there is a Genie Mini on the back of each TV and also presumably they are using infrared mode on the remotes, so that it only controls the closest unit. Also presumably they are all keyed to the same remote(s). (She said they just walk up to the TV they want to control, all with the same remote)

Sounds crazy. I don't have any intention of doing this myself, I'm happy with my HR44 and 3 Minis, but I'm a little curious how it all fits together. There are questions such as... Is there a central Genie box that nobody touches? Is at all operating off one satellite dish? Is it a "MOCA" setup that doesn't actually use any Genies? I thought those were all built into the TVs themselves... But she said there are little boxes on the back of each TV. Not that important to me but next time I go I might try to peek behind one of the TVs and/or ask to talk to the manager or owner.

One HR44 & the rest all HR24's is always the best setup.
This is what I had when I had DirecTV. I had a HR44 (34 before that which was crap, I liked the 44) and 4 HR24s, and a H25 for 6 TV sets. That was a total of 13 tuners. I have Dish now with 4 Hoppers (12 tuners) and two Joeys. I can't see why DTV will not allow more than one Genie, it would be nice to be able to just have two Genies and maybe a HR24 and client boxes for the rest.

Perhaps a bit off topic, but there is a sports bar near me that has at least 25 large flat-screen TVs. I asked the waitress about the setup. She said it is DirecTV. I asked how many Genie boxes that have in the back, thinking there must have been a cabinet somewhere with a stack of Genies. She said there is no such cabinet and each TV has its own little box mounted on the back. So they have to walk up to each TV with a remote to change the channels. They do use the same remotes for all the TVs though.

Presumably there is a Genie Mini on the back of each TV and also presumably they are using infrared mode on the remotes, so that it only controls the closest unit. Also presumably they are all keyed to the same remote(s). (She said they just walk up to the TV they want to control, all with the same remote)

Sounds crazy. I don't have any intention of doing this myself, I'm happy with my HR44 and 3 Minis, but I'm a little curious how it all fits together. There are questions such as... Is there a central Genie box that nobody touches? Is at all operating off one satellite dish? Is it a "MOCA" setup that doesn't actually use any Genies? I thought those were all built into the TVs themselves... But she said there are little boxes on the back of each TV. Not that important to me but next time I go I might try to peek behind one of the TVs and/or ask to talk to the manager or owner.
That's not uncommon. I'm not sure about the mini genies or any of that, but with the commercial board it makes it easier. That all said(that wasn't the important part) the IR is used and usually you will see them up really close to the TV with the remote.

they're H25's i'd bet, because i didnt think commercial accounts could have genies. as for the remote, possible just IR blasters under each TV? *Shrug*

Sports bars are almost always just basic HD receivers, maybe a HD-DVR or two if they want to be able to record/replay games.

Most all just use H21-H25 depending on age of their setup. Depending on where the receiver is mounted (or stored) depends on how they change the channel. I even saw one that kept the receivers above the drop ceiling.

Sports bars are almost always just basic HD receivers, maybe a HD-DVR or two if they want to be able to record/replay games.

Most all just use H21-H25 depending on age of their setup. Depending on where the receiver is mounted (or stored) depends on how they change the channel. I even saw one that kept the receivers above the drop ceiling.

This place is only about 6 months old. Just opened this past Winter.

yeah, they wouldn't be minis definitely. too many of them. they'll all be h25s more than likely, especially if they're mounted behind the tvs.

I looked that up and it looks to be what they might have. So nothing too unusual then, just a bunch of these things chained together to a satellite dish. Probaby some basic equipment like SWIM and Power Injector. Easy enough...

Thanks!

only private viewing can have DVRs. Public viewings such as bar and restaurants are not allow DVR service.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts