Most likely upgrade path for existing customers - discussion

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Stacy A

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 15, 2003
northeast Texas
Well. Now that we've heard the bad news, lets start trying to figure out what type of upgrade path Dish may offer existing cusotmers.

Does anyone on this forum know about how many HD customers Dish has? I'm thinking this will be a factor because none of the non-HD customers will care at this point because as far as I know, no new SD channels are being released in MPEG4.

I'm thinking Dish will not say a word about any plans for existing customers for about a month after MPEG4 HD channels are added. That way they get new customers up and running on MPEG4 and soak up the $$$ from the "existing customer who absolutely needs the newest now early adopter crowd" that will buy the 411's at full price. I'm predicting that in early March Dish will leak out an upgrade deal for existing HD customers, the specifics of which I have no idea what it might be. I can't help but think that the "whales" will get some special consideration - much like the $250 lease deal on the 942 in the past.

I personally would sign a four year agreement for a couple of leased 622's to feed the four rooms in my house.

What do you guys think?

Well, I can tell you this. I have two leased 811's. If they don't give me an almost free upgrade path I will go and take DirecTV's offer. They give you a $ 200 rebate so the first box is free. Yes, Dish is the HD leader now, but by 2007 DirecTV will have caught up, and maybe even passed Dish. I will not be soaked for more money from Dish.

I asked Dish tech support (not your usual CSR) about that today. She as much as said that it would be March before a program was in place to upgrade existing HD subs to MPEG-4 receivers.

mdonnelly said:
I asked Dish tech support (not your usual CSR) about that today. She as much as said that it would be March before a program was in place to upgrade existing HD subs to MPEG-4 receivers.

And that works out great for me because my 2 year agreement (for a free 510) ends in mid-february. That means I will be free to take advantage of any deal they may offer.

mdonnelly said:

It doesn't make sense that they would put the new national hd channels in mpeg4 then. that would mean most of the HD customers wouldn't be able to see the Olympics in HD.

Maybe the wait until Feb 1 is to get the process rolling on the switchover to mpeg4 receivers for those who have HD already.

I know is to good for this to be true, but it would be nice.:D

mdonnelly said:

The March time frame is the same info I got from someone at Echosphere corporate.

I think they will do whatever upgrade program they decide on starting in March in conjuction with HD local rollouts.

So, I think it will be more "hurry up and wait."

Unless you want to shell out the $699 (or more).

Personally, I think after buying two HD receivers within one year, having one be completely unreliable and now both made obsolete (the second three weeks after initial activation), in the immortal words of Ricky Ricardo, Dish has go some 'splainin' to do.

But, I would be really surprised to see this topic broached in the upcoming Charlie Chat.

I mean with all this good news-- like 50% of the country being allowed to buy an antenna for HD...

When do the new programming packages go into affect? Feb 1st? What does that mean to the existing HD subs with mpeg2 hardware? Pay the increased prices even though we won't be able to receive all the channels? Dish has to address this by getting mpeg4 receivers, 642, in our hands.

When I got my 625 installed, it had a bad hard drive and they sent me another one, which also had a bad hard drive. They then sent me another 625.

Hopefully my hard drive will go out on my 942 in a month or so and they will send me an upgraded model that can do MPEG4....

Yeah so tell me if I'm wrong but in the long run when I get on the 411 and Dish 1000. With 50% of the locals being add to HD that means that you will not half to have a OTA that with the Dish 1000 you can pick up your local HD Channels??

Stacy , im with you 100%. I would subscribe for a 12 or 24 month commit with even a $99 dollar upgrade fee, like they did before.

To me this is just like buying a Computer or TV , as you take delivery it's already out of date !
So if you want the fastest biggest etc you have to upgrade, i have never heard of a PC vendor or a TV vendor saying " oh you bought last month and we just released our new product so here's a free upgrade" It's the nature of technology.

AdamGott said:
Hopefully my hard drive will go out on my 942 in a month or so and they will send me an upgraded model that can do MPEG4....

You know, I think I'm hearing some strange noises coming from my 921 AND 942, after February 1st...:devil:

Pepsi Syndrome anyone??

Now that my 942 is almost 1 month old and soon to be obsolete, it would be a shame if it were to have an "accident."

It's frustrating when I asked several times prior to purchasing the 942 (no luck with a lease) what the upgrade path would be, and being told that the 942 was and would be top-of-the-line. I knew better, but didn't want to wait. Oh well, hopefully they'll come up with a fair solution.

Yes , when you buy a new tv or computer you just pay the price of the item When you buy a dish reciver you also paying a monthly fee for programming, and now they tell me my 942 is obsolete. harvey

dougruss said:
Watch how many problems ( Bugs) our receivers start getting all of a sudden ! Dish would figure that we would be tired of putting up with these problems and just upgrade on our own, to the new receivers.:devil:

so I believe the algorithm is as follows:

while (date < Feb 1) {wait}
pickup (unit =942 || 921);
powerup (unit)
while (unit.status != "kaput") {shake(unit)}
call e*;
return unit;

Yeah, im just waiting to figure out when to call E* and tell them my 811 is busted (it actually is very screwey anywho)

I personally have no issue paying $100 for a 211, but I dont want another contract etc!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts