Most-Watched Television Networks: Ranking 2023’s Winners and Losers

Bruce

Bender and Chloe, the real Members of the Year
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
This has the Complete Broadcast, Cable and Pay TV Ratings Ranker for 2023 in Total Viewers and also Adults 18-49

The one thing I noticed is the networks/channels that has the bigger online services, suffered some of the biggest drops.

For example , In 2014 ( before streaming), the Disney Channel was a top 10 network, with nearly 2 million viewers. In 2023, Disney Channel is ranked No. 80, with 132,000 viewers.

HBO, down 34% among viewers.
Showtime down 25%
CBS/NBC both down 12%

Reactions: CyberSpock
This has the Complete Broadcast, Cable and Pay TV Ratings Ranker for 2023 in Total Viewers and also Adults 18-49

The one thing I noticed is the networks/channels that has the bigger online services, suffered some of the biggest drops.

For example , In 2014 ( before streaming), the Disney Channel was a top 10 network, with nearly 2 million viewers. In 2023, Disney Channel is ranked No. 80, with 132,000 viewers.

HBO, down 34% among viewers.
Showtime down 25%
CBS/NBC both down 12%

Well to be honest there hasn't been much new content this year since last May on the networks. Hopefully the shows will return later in January and we get a partial new season. Then maybe their numbers will go back up a bit. As for HBO they ruined the app when they merged it into Discovery/Warner . They took all the best shows and cancelled them and there is not that much I watch anymore. Showtime I never really watched unless I had a free-view or cheaper price package. Most premium channels are not worth the price any longer to me.

Reactions: Howard Simmons
Well to be honest there hasn't been much new content this year since last May on the networks.
There has been plenty on the Networks, just nothing I would watch.

But the cable channels had all new content thru the strike, still a big drop for most.
As for HBO they ruined the app when they merged it into Discovery/Warner . They took all the best shows and cancelled them and there is not that much I watch anymore.
MAX sucks, I agree.
Showtime I never really watched unless I had a free-view or cheaper price package. Most premium channels are not worth the price any longer to me.
Since Paramount+ added Showtime, I have been catching up, helps that a lot of it is now in 4K.

If you like game shows and reality TV. I do not. I like more scripted shows that I have been missing. Quantum Leap and Magnum was an exception with new episodes. I am just glad there will be a new season come next month.
You were not excited to watch the Golden Bachelor?

Cord Cutters has a story about how ratings for the kid’s networks have collapsed.

But they are watching content via streaming, which means at even earlier ages ( remember, D+ did not start until 2019), they are being taught they do not need traditional paid TV.

So when ( unless they already have) cord nevers start having kids, they will not even know what Cable/Satellite TV is, kind of like today, where the younger people do not know they can use a TV Antenna to receive content.

This is why Cable TV/Satellite has 5-8 years at the most, not enough subscribers to support all the different providers, specially since the younger customers are not replacing the older customers.

How paid Live TV will survive, is with 1 or 2 national providers that reaches the majority of the population, the only way to do that is via streaming.

Reactions: dishdude
You were not excited to watch the Golden Bachelor?
I actually did watch the Golden Bachelor. I did because I wanted to see if older people did any better than the young ones do. Gary picked the ugliest woman in Theresa. He had several beautiful blondes and one that could sing and he picked Theresa , who looks like she got hit in the head with an ugly stick. But I am watching the wedding Thursday night 1/4 on ABC. :smug

I actually did watch the Golden Bachelor. I did because I wanted to see if older people did any better than the young ones do. Gary picked the ugliest woman in Theresa. He had several beautiful blondes and one that could sing and he picked Theresa , who looks like she got hit in the head with an ugly stick. But I am watching the wedding Thursday night 1/4 on ABC. :smug
If you want to be happy for the rest of your life
Never make a pretty woman your wife
So for my personal point of view
Get an ugly girl to marry you

1704047693711.png

1704047742920.png

If you want to be happy for the rest of your life
Never make a pretty woman your wife
So for my personal point of view
Get an ugly girl to marry you
Well I didn't marry an ugly woman and I am happy. Coming up on 30 years married on April 29th of this year. The guy was 70 anyway. He could of married the prettier one and enjoyed his life while it lasted. Theresa was just butt ugly. :eeek

• Love
Reactions: Howard Simmons
Well I didn't marry an ugly woman and I am happy. Coming up on 30 years married on April 29th of this year. The guy was 70 anyway. He could have married the prettier one and enjoyed his life while it lasted. Theresa was just butt ugly. :eeek
I cannot believe you watched it, I hate (fake) reality shows.

Reactions: Jimbo and Bobby
How paid Live TV will survive, is with 1 or 2 national providers that reaches the majority of the population, the only way to do that is via streaming.

Does this mean the end of the local channel monopoly? I so, good. Way past time for that particular grift to end.

Does this mean the end of the local channel monopoly? I so, good. Way past time for that particular grift to end.
They no longer take enough revenue in from Advertising to survive, hence why they want big increases in per sub fees from providers, which means higher prices from Cable/TV Services, which means more will cord cut, which means they will lose even more because of less people paying per sub fees.

A vicious circle it is.

Read the broadcast channel fee from Comcast is now over $30 alone, plus the RSN fee plus those little fees like franchise, means $50 before the package price/box fees.

No wonder they are now losing over 500,000 each quarter.

Reactions: MikeD-C05