Mother board OR Harddrive?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

JoMar

Original poster
Jul 2, 2009
southern north carolina
I have a Hughes HD Directtv DVR HR 10 250 400 hrs rec.time.(yes its been moded I think) It has started the self reboot and digitizing on some channels. I know that means its dying. Question is, Is it the hard drive dying AND the tuner? Or just the drives? I can pick up a replacement mother board for the unit for next to nothing but dont want to waste the money on that and still have to replace the drives. ANY help is appreciated.
also, I want to network the unit if possible to my home wireless net.

Last edited:
What dish do you have? Is there an additional multiswitch in the system? What channels are pixelating? If you swap the sat input cables does the system change symptoms?

Bad dish/signal probably wouldnt make the HR10 reboot. It does with some model HR2x's in some prior versions of the firmware but that wasnt a big problem with the R10/HR10's.

Most likely a bad hard drive. Unless the receiver is exposed to a lot of heat and dust and/or has a failed fan, I've rarely seen a motherboard failure, and when there is one the box generally wont run at all. Could also be a power supply.

I guess the good news is those real old model hard drives arent that expensive, and you might get all your stuff copied off the old drive to the new with one of the readily available copy tools. The power supplies are cheap too.

Thanks! Dish and signal are fine. The unit is in a cabinet however it has a rack mount high output cfm fan.Pulling air out of the cabinet from the top with input from the bottom so the cooling possibly could be a problem. I don't know.But overall it sounds like I thought, hard drive problem. I guess I'll just burn all I want to save to DVD and then retire it. Just hate to loose all the recording hours.
Thanks for the replies.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts