motor problem

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dxuall1

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 4, 2007
mission,tx
hi to everyone I've noticed that my motor has play (let's say I move the dish to 58.0 west where there's a satellite that already have programed with a few channels and in my tv says no signal.But as soon as i go out and push the dish to the oposite side let's say half a quarter of an inch or less and the signal goes s.l.70- s.q 45-55 then i let go of the dish and the signal get's lost again) if I put the motor to 0 position I can move the dish to the sides with my hands a little bit I'll say 3-4 eights of an inch or so I am sorry i am not good at measurements. does anybody know what causes this problem? how can i fix it? already checked al the nuts and screws from the motor and dish mount they are ok tight. motor:geosatpro gs-120 hh with a 36'' geosatpro dish. :) happy new year 2008 to everybody.

Last edited:
Check the hex head bolt that passes through the motor post. Make sure that this is VERY tight! If there is still play, there are two adjustment screws underneath the white tape label label that can tension the drive gears.

Check the hex head bolt that passes through the motor post. Make sure that this is VERY tight! If there is still play, there are two adjustment screws underneath the white tape label label that can tension the drive gears.

I had the slack problem when installing a GS-120 in NYC last year. Could you post a picture of where the tension screws are located? I'll be going back up there soon, and will probably get to fix that problem while I'm there :)

I already did tightened the head hex bolt and all three screws under the white label but the problem still continues. what else can i check??

In rereading your post, I am trying to determine the amount of lash that you are describing. All motors will have a very slight amount of lash, but your description would suggest excessive play.

When adjusting the two tension set screws, be careful to not over tighten the screws and cause the motor to bind during movement. The screws should be seated snug but not to introduce drag to the movement. ( I will snap a photo tomorrow of the screws location).

If the motor were in the shop and we determined that the lash was excessive, the motor would be opened to check that the two screws that secure the motor against the pinion gear were secure.

If you would like to send the motor in we will evaluate and correct under warranty.

Yes. The sticker says if removed warranty will be voided. I guess my motor has no more warranty. I just got everything on the 25th of dec. I measured the lash almost one quarter and a half of an inch. I think that's way too much lash. that's why i can't receive the signal from the sat. Only receive the sats. on top of my location 99w,97w,101w etc. (I already broke the white seal where the screws are) is my warranty still good?????

Yes, warranty void stickers exist for a reason ..... there is the 1 year warranty if you want a tech to perform the fixes or have manufacturer replace defects under warranty. If the motor is under warranty, always contact the warranty center before voiding the warranty if you think that you might want to repair or replace under warranty.

I mention the adjustment screws since most hobbyist on this site seem to want to perform there own fixes and pop open the covers to see how things work. Usually these screws are properly set at the factory and adjustments only need to be made after extended use.

I don't understand how much the dish is moving based on your measurement description. Please describe "one quarter and a half of an inch". How are you determining the lash measurement and where is the lash distance measured? I.E. reflector edge, LNBF (Focal point)? A quarter inch movement at the end of the arm at the focal point would be very good for any HH DiSEqC motor, but if the tube is moving a quarter of an inch, then there is a major problem.

The motor will track the arc if properly set. I do not believe that the reception of satellites only at the top of the arc is due to lash in the motor. Movement of the motor tube will still allow tracking of the arc, but with unpredictable landings.

DXALL1: We would consider evaluating the motor to see if it has a factory defect. If the motor is truly defective and not malfunctioning due to anything that could have physically damaged the unit after the delivery, we would consider repairing or replacing under warranty.

We will make every effort to satisfy our customers!

Last edited:
so you need to have and check the motor to see if the warranty is still good. do you need a copy of the original receipt?

Before we get to the warranty issue, would you care to clarify where the lash measurement is being measured and what is the exact amount of movement? You might not have a problem based on the description of the dish tracking error that you are experiencing. From your description I would suggest that the main problem is that the motor/dish combination is not yet properly aligned. The Declination angle (dish elevation setting) may be compensating for the latitude scale being set incorrectly or for a post that is slightly out of plumb.

For most companies, a broken warranty sticker is an easy way out of taking care of a legit problem. At Satellite AV, we try to run our business with a little more humanity factor involved!! :D

Once again, expect a warranty to be voided if you break a sticker. Only break a warranty sticker if you are prepared to accept that a dealer or manufacturer will deny warranty service or replacement on that item.

Please contact our customer service to set-up a Service Order. If the motor has a problem that is not caused by something that you have done, we will treat it like an in-warranty repair. You do not need to include a copy of the invoice if it was purchased through SatelliteAV.

I guess iam going to fix it myself. If i can't do it to work right i am just go ahead and buy a new motor. the pipe is perfect plumb and the motor stops at each satellite as it should be but the dish moves (has play for example: the motor stops at 123.0w just the right position to find the satellite but the dish moves to the right a little more let's say one half of an inch more. the pipe,motor don't move just the hex head all with the dish. the dish mount is perfectly tight) the motor used to stop at all satellites with no problem when i first put everything up. after a while started having problems with the reception of the satellites from 97.0w - 58.0w and 101.0w - 126.0w I have no problem with the ''middle satellites'' when i open the motor what should i look at to fix the problem???? has anybody fixed this kind of motors before??? geosatpro gs-120 hh.

I guess iam going to fix it myself. If i can't do it to work right i am just go ahead and buy a new motor. the pipe is perfect plumb and the motor stops at each satellite as it should be but the dish moves (has play for example: the motor stops at 123.0w just the right position to find the satellite but the dish moves to the right a little more let's say one half of an inch more. the pipe,motor don't move just the hex head all with the dish. the dish mount is perfectly tight) the motor used to stop at all satellites with no problem when i first put everything up. after a while started having problems with the reception of the satellites from 97.0w - 58.0w and 101.0w - 126.0w I have no problem with the ''middle satellites'' when i open the motor what should i look at to fix the problem???? has anybody fixed this kind of motors before??? geosatpro gs-120 hh.

Re-read the post above, Brian is willing to look at the motor for you, why not give him a chance? All of us that have motors have had some kind of issue I'd bet. I have a motor ( not from Brian) that is having issues right now.
If your motor was out of warranty, and you felt like doing it, there is a way. But why not give your vendor a chance to make it right for you? :confused:

Yes I think you are right I am going to send it back and give them a chance to look at it. the motor seals are intact only the seal that covers the screws is broken. thank you stogie5150.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)