Motor problems

Status
Please reply by conversation.

chucklesk

Original poster
Jun 9, 2006
Hello everyone, I’m trying to get my motor setup. I have had the dang thing since last summer, but I never got it setup right. I decided to try it again, but I’m not getting any further than before. Here is what I’m working with.

• Viewsat Extreme
  • Orasat V5
  • 36" Dish
  • Sadoun standard LNBF
  • SG-2100

My location: 118.08W and 45.33N

What I have done thus far is use the Orasat to rotate the motor to Telstar 5 and then peak it there. I did this because my southern satellite is AMC 16 and I could never get a signal on it. The problem is that I’m only getting 3 satellites. I get Telstar 5, AMC 1, and AMC 15. I’ve tried moving the dish all over the place trying to get Galaxy 10R, but I have had no luck. After playing around with both receivers I have decided that the Viewsat is almost useless, but it dose have blind scan unlike the Orasat. So are there any suggestions, on what I might try to get this thing tuned a little better?

I’m also looking at getting a new receiver, probably either a Coolsat or a Pansat. Which brand has a better reputation for working with motors?

Thanks,
Chuck

:welcome to the group

some information from this link about setup but sounds like you made it through that part... didn't know if you tried using Disecq 1.2 for motor controls.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=88672

also .... as noted that Viewsat dosen't control motors very well. makes a good stationary STB. Don't know about the Orasat but sounds like it might control the motor. if so you can hook the viewsat up to the orasat via the loop out and use the viewsat scan options.

another option would be get another receiver i like coolsat cause its what i have but have heard the merc II , pansat and traxis are all good ( read the reviews) some have certain limitations which probably will be corrected via software updates (traxis ac3 problem)

anything else we will try to help out.

Ive tried the pansat 2700, coolsat 5000, fortec mercury II, dreambox 7000, twinhan vp-1020 on my 1m winegard dish/sg2100 motor.

I found the pansat interface slow, but it scanned and moved the motor just fine. I liked the coolsat 5000 interface more, and it moved the motor just as well, scaned good too.

the dreambox doesnt have blindscan, and moved the motor slower. the twinhan vp-1020 doesnt have blindscan either, and was pathetic for moving the motor, its was incredible how slow it was.

the mercury II is great, blindscan works, motor control is incredibly acurate and super fast. interface is nice and smooth as well.

my only beef with the mercury II is that isnt not supported by channel master, if your planning on using this app, then id look at the coolsat 5000, i was very happy with that ird as well.

Sorry for posting in the wrong section, I never noticed there was a main section.

gabshere said:
didn't know if you tried using Disecq 1.2 for motor controls.
I tried using the installer option on the Viewsat, but it wasn't very useful. I also used Disecq 1.2 on the Orasat, that’s how I got it pointed on 97 Basically I just moved the motor a little, then moved the azimuth and elevation, until I got a signal where the USALS command moved the motor to.

gabshere said:
Don't know about the Orasat but sounds like it might control the motor.
It works, but I'm not too impressed with this receiver. It was my first receiver, I bought it after a recommendation, but it’s just not what you would expect to get for the money.

gabshere said:
another option would be get another receiver i like coolsat
I will probably be getting one sooner or later. The Viewsat dose not handle the motor that well and the Orasat is buggy and dose not have blind scan.

gabshere said:
read the reviews
I have been thumbing around the reviews for a while; there is a lot of great information there.
updatelee said:
the mercury II is great, blindscan works, motor control is incredibly acurate and super fast. interface is nice and smooth as well.
As far as the motor goes would you say the Fortec is better than the Coolsat? I have been looking at getting one of the new Coolsat 8000 receivers, but I'm not sure just how many FTA HD channels are available.
updatelee said:
my only beef with the mercury II is that isnt not supported by channel master, if your planning on using this app, then id look at the coolsat 5000, i was very happy with that ird as well.
I use it every now and then, but I think I could get by without it. Does ODSEDIT work with it?

Also I just bought a QPH-031, so hopefully I can try and use 119 as my southern satellite. I think I’m just having some kind of positioning problem, maybe its my arc.

Thanks again,
Chuck

the fortec mercury II drives my motor faster then the coolsat 5000 did, I havent tested any of foretec or coolsats other models so I cant say how others differ.

foretec does have its own channel list editor, that can import satcodx files, but can not export in any format.

Ive never used this osdedit, I'll see if I can find it and try, do you have a url to the osdedit site ? or where I can download ?

updatelee said:
Ive never used this osdedit, I'll see if I can find it and try, do you have a url to the osdedit site ? or where I can download ?
I don't have the link to where i originally got it, because its not there any more. It is the only channel editor that works with my Orasat. I guess Viewsat has it on there site now, but this version dose not work with my Orasat. Maybe it’s a special version for Viewsat. I'll try and find the original; anyway here is the URL from Viewsat.

hxxp://www.viewsatusa.com/ODSEdit4000_USA_v01082.exe

I may be wrong,but it appears you are trying to alighn your dish using the motor.
THe most important step is to alighn the dish to your true south first with your motor at zero.After that you motor over to your true south sat and do your east-west and up and down adjustments.It is very important to get your true south alignment first since this is your starting point for the arc.
Reinhold.

Reinhold said:
I may be wrong,but it appears you are trying to alighn your dish using the motor.
That is exactly what I am doing.
Reinhold said:
THe most important step is to alighn the dish to your true south first with your motor at zero.After that you motor over to your true south sat and do your east-west and up and down adjustments.
This is where I keep running into problems because I can’t get a signal on my true south which would be a satellite at 119. I only have a linier LNBF right now so and all of the 119 satellites are circular. The only thing I seem to be able to get is Telstar 5(not sure what it’s called now). Obviously though T5 is way off and having to go that far to peak the dish is getting me out of alignment.

What I am going to try now is use Echostar 7 once I get my circular linier LNBF and use it to peak the dish.

Thanks,
Chuck

You could try G10 at 123W.Its a few derees off,but it might work.
Reinhold. Good luck.

You could try G10 at 123W.Its a few degrees off,but it might work.
Reinhold. Good luck.

All advice is correct .... do not try and use your Viewsat with a motor ... You will go insane!

Did you use USALS or DiSEqC 1.2 to find your first satellite? If you use USALS it is NOT important to locate your Southern satellite. If you used DiSEqC 1.2 while locating your first satellite, your tracking of the ARC may be off. If you did not use USALS, turn it on and input your Logitude and Latitude. If the previously scanned IA5 channels do not come in, your initial setting of the latitude on the motor, the dish elevation angle and the azimuth (compass heading) may be incorrect.

What I have done thus far is use the Orasat to rotate the motor to Telstar 5 and then peak it there. I did this because my southern satellite is AMC 16 and I could never get a signal on it. The problem is that I’m only getting 3 satellites. I get Telstar 5, AMC 1, and AMC 15. I’ve tried moving the dish all over the place trying to get Galaxy 10R, but I have had no luck.

Reinhold -

I am having trouble alingning my dish. First if I am in Miami, FL what is my southern most satellite so that I can setup the receiver to the true south ?

Regards,

Manny

SatelliteAV said:
All advice is correct .... do not try and use your Viewsat with a motor ... You will go insane!
Unfortunately I learned that the hard way.

SatelliteAV said:
Did you use USALS or DiSEqC 1.2
Both, I'll explain.
  1. I pointed the dish at 97 and peaked the dish
  2. moved the whole assembly a little
  3. used DiSEqC to move the dish a little
  4. peaked again
  5. repeated 2-4 until using USALS got me a signal

I’m using USALS now and I do get the three mentioned satellites using USALS. I was just using DiSEqC to help me peak the dish. Hopefully this is making sense, I guess I’ll just have to keep playing with it.

Would it be better to use DiSEqC and save positions, instead of using USALS?

Chucklesk -

Assume I am pointing at 97 and I get rid of the darn rotor. How do I determine my latitude, longitude and elevation if I am in Miami, FL.

does anybody search any more ?

Google search for: miami latitude longitude
...and the answer is: Latitude Longitude: 25°47' N , 80°13' W

Your southern bird is the one closest to 80ºW.
Here's a couple of easy to use lists of the common FTA satellites.
FTAlist
Global
Lyngsat with the Americas page highlighted.

To get elevation, you could use any of the many available satellite aiming programs...
Install help at Sadoun site.
GeoSatFinder at Satellite AV.
Sat Calculator.
SatFinder by P. Lutus - I use this one.
SatSig satellite finder. I used to prefer this one, but it's a little tricky.

...most of which will let you input your City and State, and calculate your location.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)